PDA

View Full Version : V8 Supercars

Wayne Lomman
10-08-2016, 6:16 AM
The V8 Supercars are at Mt Panorama for Australia's premier tin top endurance race this weekend, the Bathurst 1000. This street track is unique in that it has a 570 foot change in elevation over the circuit. It can rain on the mountain and be dry everywhere else. A couple of years back a car hit a kangaroo at about 280 with spectacular results. The track is considered too dangerous for open wheelers or bikes these days. If you have never heard of the track, check out http://www.mount-panorama.com.au/. Have a look at the history section and you will recognise more than a few cars. The approved method for watching this race is to make sure the fridge is full of bourbon, put on the TV, invite a heap of mates over to help drink the bourbon, and shout encouragement/curses at the Ford/Holden team of choice for the rest of the day. :D

Frederick Skelly
10-08-2016, 6:56 AM
Sounds like a pretty good time Wayne!

IIRC, someone Stateside promoted a V8 Supercar race here a couple years back. The cars were fast and the crowd - especially the Aussies who travelled all this way for it - had quite the good time.

Enjoy the race! (And the bourbon...)
Fred

Wayne Lomman
10-08-2016, 7:46 AM
One of my nephews loves Holden and hates Ford with such passion that he gets a handful of of ping pong balls, writes 'Ford' on each one in permanent marker and throws them in the toilet bowl for the day....Cheers

Frederick Skelly
10-08-2016, 7:56 AM
Yeah, I've heard that Holden versus Ford is a huge rivalry.

GM brought a Holden (Commodore, maybe?) here and rebadged it Pontiac GTO - a very respected model from the 1960s. The things were beastly fast but priced higher than I wanted to go at the time.

Wayne Lomman
10-09-2016, 6:22 AM
6 hours, 19 minutes and some seconds later and Holden are King of the Mountain again this year! A minnow team did it too. Ended up working instead of watching it....

Frederick, have a look at HSV (Holden Special Vehicles) for the real beasts. Their advertising slogan is "I just want one" and that says it all. Unfortunately for me and fortunately for my wife, where we live is too rough and remote for any kind of hoon car so I make do with a Range Rover. Cheers.

Frederick Skelly
10-09-2016, 6:32 AM
I'll go look them up Wayne! Take care.

Tony Zona
10-09-2016, 6:17 PM
Cold bourbon? :eek:

Greg R Bradley
10-09-2016, 9:59 PM
Cold bourbon? :eek:
:eek: is right

Wayne Lomman
10-10-2016, 2:13 AM
Pre-mix cans, comedians. Wouldn't survive the day otherwise. Everyone still has to work the next day. Cheers. Been trying to imagine drinking a fridge full of straight bourbon....