PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Table Saw Advice

Ian Funk
10-07-2016, 10:48 PM
I own a small cabinet and furniture business and have some upcoming kitchen jobs. I'm possibly looking to invest in a nice sliding table saw. I used to work for a cabinet maker and he has an altendorf F-45. I know its a big investment and you can do without one, I've been using a crosscut sled and circular saw but it can be cumbersome. I'm the kind of guy who makes due with what he has, yet I'm also all for reinvesting money made to make your business more efficient. The only problem is that I only have single phase 30 amp service. I do have some experience with VFD's and phase converters. What do you guys recommend that I go for? I have some leads on an F-45 for $3500 as well as some grizzlies for a little lower of a price. I'm at the stage where i'm ready to go all in with my business, I'm 24 years old with no major life responsibilities so i figure now is the time to do it. Any help would be great. thanks

David Kumm
10-07-2016, 11:23 PM
I doubt you will find any used large slider that can be run on a 30 amp single phase circuit. Most will be 7.5-9 hp three phase. 5 hp is about all you can run with no dust collection. A smaller slider that crosscuts 50+" and runs a smaller motor might work. If you need scoring you need to add that load but probably still doable with a 5 hp main motor. Hopefully you don't need lights on the same circuit. You should figure out a way to get more power before you buy machines that you will need to unload when you outgrow your service. Dave

Ian Funk
10-08-2016, 12:16 AM
I made a Boo Boo I actually have 200 amp service for some reason I went one of my small sub-panels.

David Kumm
10-08-2016, 3:56 AM
Then you are fine. When looking at Altendorf, you want to inspect the ways, particularly if phenolic. If worn in one spot, you want to avoid. Not quite as high level, but very good and cheap is the old SCMI SI16WA. Lots of them lout there. I bought a parts machine just to scab off of. Dave

Albert Lee
10-08-2016, 7:16 AM
I am looking at a new slider as well. going from combo to separates.

Why not buy new? save you lots of trouble and has good resale value.

Kevin Jenness
10-08-2016, 9:50 AM
If the Altendorf is in good shape, that is a steal. The condition of the slider mechanism is key. A VFD that will run that saw is going to be pretty costly, whereas a rotary phase converter will allow you to add other 3 phase machinery in the future. I cobbled together a system with a used 10hp 3 phase motor and a starter box from WNY for under $500 which works well for me.

You might want to consider whether an upright panel saw would be a better fit for you as they are somewhat more productive and safer than a slider for square edge cutting of box parts. If you are truly ready to go "all in" you should also think about investing in a cnc router. A slider may well be the best fit for your business, but there are alternatives worth looking at.

Jim Becker
10-08-2016, 10:18 AM
Ian, I'll add that your shouldn't thing of the slider as just for handling sheet stock. There are a lot of things that can be done with advantage when handling solid stock, too, for when you can benefit from 100% repeatable cuts. It's a different world at first as you adapt and start to think about jigs and other accommodations, but I'd not go back to a traditional cabinet saw at this point if I could avoid it. I really love the slider.

You might also want to contact folks at SCM/MiniMax and Felder, too, as they may have customers who are looking to move up and know of used sliders that may be coming available. They both also offer machines that run on single phase if that makes things easier for you.

John Lankers
10-08-2016, 10:39 AM
I don't want to spoil it for you but a machine like this has likely been used in a high production environment and shows some wear like David mentioned.
Jim's idea of contacting Felder and SCM/MiniMax reps makes sense, these people are often in contact with owners who are ready to upgrade but want to find a new home for their used machinery first.

Erik Loza
10-08-2016, 11:14 AM
If you have $10K or so (assuming youre in the US), you could get a new Minimax Si315 Elite-S, which is 1-phase, has scoring, 10.5' slider, etc. If you want to talk to a Minimax rep, shoot me a PM and i'll connect you. In my experience, it is rare that any used slider does not need replacement parts the minute you buy it. Flip stops, guards, even entire crosscut fences.

I have a number of customers who bought a Minimax slider from me because they originally owned the other brand you mentioned and had enough issues with it that it became intolerable to work with. Pro guys, not hobbyists. Good luck in your search.

Erik

Kelby Van Patten
10-08-2016, 2:24 PM
There are a lot of good, smaller panel saws on the market for a pretty reasonable price, new. I have a Laguna 5' slider, which I like. The Hammer K3 is also a great saw. MiniMax has an SC2 that is smaller and more affordable as well. Most of these can be had in the $5-6k range.

If you are making a lot of cabinets, the larger saw is probably a no-brainer. But if your business is not at that point, I've been very impressed with the small saws that are out there.

Ian Funk
10-08-2016, 3:15 PM
I am considering buying new, I did find a MiniMax S315 on craigslist that looks in excellent shape, although you never know until you actually see it in person. Right now my range is about 5k. I am looking at buying a rotary phase converter most likely a 40HP one. I have a bandsaw that runs off 3 phase and am looking for a bigger widebelt sander. Thanks for all the feedback

Martin Wasner
10-08-2016, 3:54 PM
If you can swing the price, buy a panel saw. One off the best purchases I've ever made.

If I could only have one saw, it would be a slider. But I don't have to have one saw, so I've got one setup for dadoing, one for solid, one for cutting sheet stock, and the panel saw. It's very nice not having to change setups very often.

There was a Striebig Compact that just sold in Colorado on an auction for $10k. A moulding company had it, so I'm guessing it was in very nice condition. That's about 40% of the cost of a new one. The Plus model is nice, but if space is at a premium, the only hassle is having to move the gantry a little more often doing longer cross cuts. I'm a panel saw snob, at this point I wouldn't consider anything other than a Striebig, they are well worth the premium price.

Andrew J. Coholic
10-08-2016, 4:39 PM
Ive worked previously in two shops without sliders, but we have always had one in ours. I would never, ever want to be without a full size panel saw. If you do woodworking (not just cabinet boxes) it is just too versatile a machine not to have. For sheet goods it saves time and wear and tear on your body.

Id rather have a decent full size used saw, than a lesser saw that was newer - for the same price. I know in shops like ours, the saws are well looked after, and not abused. If I sold mine today it is as good as new. Our old Sicar (bought in 1988, replaced in 2010 by the Griggio C45 I have now) is still in use today in another shop. $5K should get you a decent usable saw if you hold out for a deal.

Gerry Grzadzinski
10-08-2016, 4:47 PM
I'd also recommend a vertical panel saw for cutting cabinet parts.
For the last 20+ years, I've worked in two high volume custom cabinet shops. One with no slider, and one with a slider. But the slider is not used for cabinet parts, as it's a lot easier imo to cut sheets on a panel saw.
We actually cut most parts on the CNC, but the panels saw is still for a few hours every day for various tasks.
I built a DIY panel saw at home for breaking down full sheets. It's hard to beat a vertical panel saw....

Martin Wasner
10-08-2016, 5:26 PM
Hard to beat for space savings too. I think mine is 15'6" long and basically 4' deep. That's 62 sq/ft

A 10' slider needs 8' to the left of the blade, call it 4'6" to the right. That's 250 sq/ft.

Peter Kelly
10-08-2016, 7:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoXWMPkrzdE

Can be bought direct from Germany for around $2,500 shipped.

PM if interested and I'll connect you with the dealer.

Andrew Joiner
10-08-2016, 8:21 PM
I'd also recommend a vertical panel saw for cutting cabinet parts.
For the last 20+ years, I've worked in two high volume custom cabinet shops. One with no slider, and one with a slider. But the slider is not used for cabinet parts, as it's a lot easier imo to cut sheets on a panel saw.
We actually cut most parts on the CNC, but the panels saw is still for a few hours every day for various tasks.
I built a DIY panel saw at home for breaking down full sheets. It's hard to beat a vertical panel saw....

I'm a vertical panel saw guy too. Hard to beat in a one man shop. I had one when I did woodworking for a living. I also built a DIY vertical panel saw for my home hobby shop.

Andrew J. Coholic
10-08-2016, 8:36 PM
He said he also does Furniture. I'd think the slider way more versatile for processing solid wood components as well.

That mafell powered track saw is pretty sweet! Neat stuff.

Ian Funk
10-26-2016, 11:34 PM
I went with and Altendorf F-45 with a tigerstop rip fence, bought it on an online auction. Thanks for all the feedback everyone

Jeff Bartley
10-27-2016, 6:59 AM
I went with and Altendorf F-45 with a tigerstop rip fence, bought it on an online auction. Thanks for all the feedback everyone

..........Pics or it didn't happen!!!

Brian W Smith
10-28-2016, 5:36 AM
Vertical panel saw and a nice mid stroke slider.