PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 45

Glen Canaday
10-07-2016, 2:04 PM
I started a thread on another forum with a somewhat different (though loyal) readership. I thought, "since I respect them well enough to start on there, why not start the same thread here and reach a broader number of people?" So here I am, technically crossposting, asking the same question of a totally different readership....

Ya know, I actually don't start a ton of threads. I mostly reply to threads started by others, but I really want to get to the core of the mystery on this one.

Who actually uses the 45? I have two now, the type 3 with a brazed-in handle and a type 8 I got in a lot on ebay for wayyy too cheeeep.

The newer one I am actually excited about. It is coming at a time when I am realizing that I do NOT need every single plane ever minted by the Millers Falls Company. I am chagrined at my collection, realizing what I've done to get it to where it is. As a result, I am remembering why I began in the first place - to do some woodworking. To make stuff. I can't afford a bazillion woodies either in terms of resto time or cash so the 45 represents a resignation to utility and a little bit of "The Schwarz Anarchism," one tool to do a bunch of work that doesn't show on the face anyway.

So while I am starting my reduction in earnest at an MWTCA meeting, I want to ask you tools guys a pretty simple question that I think doesn't get asked enough: What do you DO with this thing?!?

James Pallas
10-07-2016, 2:37 PM
I use my 45 often. As a plow, beading, rabbet, dados. I have used it as a tongue and grove plane a few times. Never tried any sash making with it. It takes a little getting use to and it isn't the perfect tool for the job sometimes. They one I have now is my second one. I wouldn't not want to have it. I hope Jim K gets better soon, he knows a lot about 45s.
Jim

Bill Houghton
10-07-2016, 3:06 PM
Mainly beads, flutes, and plowing. I'd be using it more often if the d-----d house wasn't taking so much of my time. But, even on the house, I've found uses for it; for instance, nothing beats it (well, other than a purpose-made tool) for cutting the drip groove in the bottom of a window sill.

Glen Canaday
10-07-2016, 3:11 PM
Mainly beads, flutes, and plowing. I'd be using it more often if the d-----d house wasn't taking so much of my time. But, even on the house, I've found uses for it; for instance, nothing beats it (well, other than a purpose-made tool) for cutting the drip groove in the bottom of a window sill.

How do you cut that? I have never done it..!

Normand Leblanc
10-07-2016, 4:01 PM
I recently bought one with all the blades and accessories. I've followed Stanley manual who show what you can do with it.
http://tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/stanley/comb-planes/45man.pdf

I have to say that, for a first time using it, I was really pleased. It's only across the grain that either I have to figure it out properly or it doesn't work very good.

I made a review on my blog but haven't used it yet on a project...it's coming for sure.
http://ancienscopeaux.ca/en/evaluation-stanley-45-2/

Normand

Glen Canaday
10-07-2016, 5:43 PM
Nice write-up, Normand! Did you pull the spurs backward first before trying the cross-grain work?

Bill Houghton
10-07-2016, 5:56 PM
How do you cut that? I have never done it..!

First, the purpose of a drip groove. On an old-style wood window, with a windowsill sitting on the rough framing, you need a drip groove so that water can't travel down the face of the sill and up the bottom into the wall - which it can do, thanks to the magic of surface tension. The groove "cuts" the surface tension of the water and gives somewhere for it to drip from. They're a good idea even on modern windows, if your trim detail around the window replicates the old-fashioned windowsill:
You can see the drip groove (image taken from internet) a fraction of an inch in from the outer face of the sill here.

A lot of people cut them with a table saw set to a shallow cut, and you could do the job with a narrow plow iron; but I prefer the cleaner look of a flute, and it's easier to paint than the sharp edges of a narrow groove.

I have some fluting bits (cut a round hollow, but way smaller than most round planes will cut) purchased from Stanley back when they had them in their parts inventory (alas, gone last I looked). You could get the same effect by grinding the end of a plow bit on a curve - 1/8" or 3/16" ideal for this application. A perfect curve's nice, but not necessary for this purpose (but try to do it right; a small flute can be a great furniture detail, too).

Then you just cut the shallow flute about 1/4" in from the edge, measuring from the edge of the flute closest to the face of the sill.

steven c newman
10-07-2016, 7:04 PM
Been using my Type 20 a lot. Mainly for ploughing a groove or two..
Might give the rest of the "jobs" a tryout in a few weeks...

Normand Leblanc
10-07-2016, 7:31 PM
Nice write-up, Normand! Did you pull the spurs backward first before trying the cross-grain work?

Yes I did. Since then I've improve a bit. The problem was that the cutter was kind of flush with the spur. Moving the cutter inward helps a lot but its not perfect. There is definitely room to improve this aspect.

Normand

Ray Selinger
10-07-2016, 8:59 PM
Glen, if you can find ALF's postings on multiplanes, they are quite instructional. She really liked and used them.

Glen Canaday
10-07-2016, 9:56 PM
I'll look for those. I hated the type 3 since I couldn't adjust the iron well, but the type 8 has the screw adjuster. After cleaning it up with mineral spirits and giving it a shot of WD-40, I'm diggin' it.

As a minor gloat...I got the 45, a very early 78, and a near perfect type 2 #113 on the auction site for $50+shipping. All are marked with the same owner's mark from way back when. I'm really rather floored.

Bill Houghton
10-08-2016, 11:09 AM
As a minor gloat...I got the 45, a very early 78, and a near perfect type 2 #113 on the auction site for $50+shipping. All are marked with the same owner's mark from way back when. I'm really rather floored.
I don't think that qualifies as a minor gloat; more significant gloat. Good score!

Jim Koepke
10-08-2016, 11:58 PM
Howdy all,

Just got out of hospital today.

That is a significant gloat on the ebay score Glen. Was it poorly listed or what?

Here is a piece of mine posted a few years ago.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?121761

You will have to scroll down to the part on the #45.

There are a lot of good uses for just the plowing and rabbeting. The other blades can help with decorative work and joinery.

jtk

peter Joseph
10-09-2016, 12:23 AM
It is my go-to for T&G's as well as plowing a groove for drawer bottoms.

Chuck Hart
10-09-2016, 12:53 AM
have some blades also.

Chuck Hart
10-09-2016, 12:56 AM
Well there was a post that just disappeared into the ozone. I was trying to post to see if someone would be interested in some 45 parts. I have almost a whole 45 and parts for most of a second frame. Also I have some blades

Nicholas Lawrence
10-09-2016, 8:44 AM
If it looks like an offer to sell, the moderators may have moved it or deleted it or whatever the do. They want those sorts of things in the classifieds.

Glen Canaday
10-09-2016, 9:07 AM
I think just about anyone with a 45 or 55 wants cutters. I am watching every set on the auction place now..I just got out-sniped on an original box ;)

peter Joseph
10-10-2016, 12:47 AM
Glen, a local antique shop (somewhat) near me has an old original stanley display filled with 45 and 55 cutters, sold individually. Few bucks a piece would make for a pretty inexpensive set (without the box of course). Any chance youre in PA?

Glen Canaday
10-10-2016, 9:25 AM
Nope, Minnesota. Is that one of the guys who sells on ebay?

Jim Koepke
10-10-2016, 12:32 PM
Glen, a local antique shop (somewhat) near me has an old original stanley display filled with 45 and 55 cutters, sold individually. Few bucks a piece would make for a pretty inexpensive set (without the box of course). Any chance youre in PA?

Dang, if that was in my neighborhood and there were some of the special cutters in the display, I would be out mowing lawns or something to fill out my set of cutters for the #55.

The special cutters are usually about $15 each last time I looked on ebay.

jtk

Bill Houghton
11-05-2016, 8:32 PM
An update: I'm rebuilding what our son called the "birdhouse" around the electric meter/main panel, which juts out from the outer wall of the house slightly*. The bottom of this structure will be a sill, similar to a windowsill. It's only 20" long. I was shaping it today, and feeling very reluctant to break out and assemble the Stanley 45 for such a short run.

Then I remembered my round planes. My smallest round plane has an iron about 1/4" wide, a touch wider than I usually like for a drip groove; but, working against a clamped-on fence, and with a not terribly sharp iron, I got the drip groove cut in about five minutes, counting clamping the stock to the bench and fussing with the setting of the iron (at which I'm not very experienced). If I did more of this kind of work, I think I'd probably make myself a dedicated woodie plane for the purpose.

*Our 1895 house has 2"x3" studs, so conventional electric panels can't tuck into the wall.

steven c newman
11-06-2016, 10:54 AM
Have used the 45 to make a few beads..
And reground a huge (3/4") cutter into something to make a groove..
That seemed to work quite well..
Might get a few other "extra" cutters and regrind them? Then I can do the hollows someday?

Thomas Schneider
11-06-2016, 2:11 PM
I've used mine for T+G, Beading, Cutting grooves for drawer bottoms as well as making a kerfing slot for resawing lumber by hand. I love using my 45 so much i'm looking to add a No 55 to the fleet sometime soon, but that's for another thread :).

Glen Canaday
11-06-2016, 6:50 PM
Haha, believe me it's on my list.

I was able to get ahold of almost all of the standard cutters (missing that huge #9) for far less than ebay prices at the area meet. I am short only the short rods now (ar ar ar) because of that meet. I walked in with tools and $13 in my pocket, and left with different tools and a different $13. Good meet in my opinion.

I was finally able to sharpen up the 1/4" plow iron and take it to a hunk of white oak. While the groove isn't so clean as it could be, I blame the craftsman and not the tool! I still need practice but I've been plowing and beading all kinds of scrap to get a feel for it. I think it's going to be the utility I needed.

steven c newman
11-08-2016, 3:58 PM
Will be getting ready to fire up the 45 later. Need grooves milled for a box's bottom panel to fit into....1/4" cutter needs to be installed before that can happen. Box's sides are 1/2", I have to set the depth of cut so it won't go to deep. Might be a little rough setting things up to plough the grooves..
May have to set a jig up like this, again....

Glen Canaday
11-08-2016, 5:37 PM
A batten for a groove?

steven c newman
11-08-2016, 5:50 PM
Might build this jig, again......

Jerry Olexa
11-08-2016, 7:06 PM
Very few 45 and 55s on the auction site have a full set of cutters..If they do, the price increases dramatically...

Jerry Olexa
11-08-2016, 7:09 PM
I think the 45, considering the time it was introduced, had amazing capacity to do "lots of things".
Of course the 55 "improved" further on that. 2 great multi facetted tools
They are part of my slippery slope...

steven c newman
11-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Used my #45 yesterday..
Needed a groove milled for a box's bottom panel to sit in..
Used a 1/4" wide cutter....

Beads?
I also tried out the 45 on dados......need to pull the plane backwards a few times, to let the spurs/nickers do their job first, then plough across the grain....