PDA

View Full Version : First hand plane

Michael Alu
10-07-2016, 9:19 AM
Just wanted to share with you guys this. A few years back my grandfather passed away and left a shop full of tools to me. Him and my grandmother would go garage sale picking every weekend. His shop looked like a place off the show Hoarders. Finally after a year or so my grandmother decided she was ready to slowly start cleaning out his shop. I got in there and was immediately overwhelmed. But through all the picking I came across this rusted Millers Falls No. 9-02 plane. I decided that I would try to restore it. At that point my woodworking journey was just beginning and I hadn't a single clue on how to go about restoring it. Well nearly a year later of it sitting around I finally got the chance and knowledge to get it working again. It's not a terribly old plane, but its still a plane my grandfather used and now it's my first plane and one I will keep.

On a side note I love my power tools, but this hand tool thing is already addicting. I can see a few more restored planes of my grandfathers in my shop very soon.

Nicholas Lawrence
10-07-2016, 10:08 AM
One of my first planes was an old Stanley No. 3 that belonged to my grandfather. It is no showpiece, but it is always a pleasure to use it. I am sure your grandfather would be pleased to know his tools are being used.

Blake M Williams
10-07-2016, 11:49 AM
This hand tool thing is very addicting. Maybe next we will see you make a post about making a traditional bench. Welcome to the hand tool world! I have slowly stopped using power tools, unless I'm breaking down big stock. There's a feeling of accomplishing more when I use hand tools.

Bill McDermott
10-07-2016, 12:05 PM
Michael, Sounds like a great start to a great journey. Back to Grandpa's shop you go... :)

Prashun Patel
10-07-2016, 12:14 PM
Fasten your seatbelt. You have now entered the Slippery Slope.

Brent Cutshall
10-07-2016, 8:19 PM
My first plane was also my granddad's, it's a Dunlap No.4. Good luck with your journey, you're not alone.

Allan Speers
10-07-2016, 8:29 PM
My first plane was also my granddad's, it's a Dunlap No.4. Good luck with your journey, you're not alone.

My first plane was ALSO Granddad's (then Dad's) Dunlop #4. I still recall how devastated I was to fing out it was so common & badly made. :o I still have it though, of course!

Phil Mueller
10-07-2016, 9:21 PM
You did a great job on the restoration. I love the tools I have with family history. You'll get a lot of enjoyment from your Grandfather's tools.

steven c newman
10-07-2016, 9:49 PM
Millers Falls in a No. 4 (Stanley size) that they made from 1969 to 1971. Still a very good smooth plane. Nice find.

Jerry Olexa
10-07-2016, 9:58 PM
A vintage tool has more meaning when it has been owned/used by a family member a few generations back....

Brian AdamsMS
10-08-2016, 6:51 AM
My favorite plane is a Stanley #5 that was my fathers. It has chip missing in the tote and tons of scratches on the sole and cheeks. It probably wouldn't fetch more than $2 on an auction site but to me its the most valuable and used tool in my shop.

Is it just me or are woodworkers more sentimental than most people?

Roy Lindberry
10-08-2016, 8:31 AM
My first plane was ALSO Granddad's (then Dad's) Dunlop #4. I still recall how devastated I was to fing out it was so common & badly made. :o I still have it though, of course!

My first two planes were my Dad's. But my second two were my Granddad's. Somewhere along the line, my Grandma gave me a #2 that had belonged to my great-Granddad. I love these tools that not only have history, but family history.

Frederick Skelly
10-08-2016, 9:07 AM
I got an MF #9 that belonged to my grandfather. Like you, it was the first plane I restored. She's a beauty and takes nice thin shavings (0.002" thick - thin enough for my needs).

Yes, it's addicting. As you learn more and more what you can do with a plane, you'll be hooked too. You'll see.

Btw, I started out a power tool guy.:D

Frederick Skelly
10-08-2016, 9:09 AM
Is it just me or are woodworkers more sentimental than most people?

It isn't just you Brian. That's for sure!

Gary Cunningham
10-08-2016, 2:35 PM
Do not get it wet. And do not feed it after midnight. ;)

Planes tend to multiply.

Jim Koepke
10-09-2016, 12:18 AM
A very nice looking plane indeed. Nice to have some family tools. Here is a thread on cleaning up an old plane if you need more than just a surface cleaning.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?114373-Fettling-A-Plane-from-Junker-to-Jointer

Show us the others as the come along,

jtk

Michael Alu
10-09-2016, 10:55 AM
A very nice looking plane indeed. Nice to have some family tools. Here is a thread on cleaning up an old plane if you need more than just a surface cleaning.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?114373-Fettling-A-Plane-from-Junker-to-Jointer

Show us the others as the come along,

jtk

I can't wait to get back in there. Like I said it was a little overwhelming at first with all the stuff he had, but I know there are some good old hand tools in there. I spent countless hours researching how to restore them in all different kinds of conditions. The hardest part about restoring this plane was getting the blade back to a usable condition. I don't have a grind so it took me nearly an hour using 120grit sandpaper to get the bevel flat. Once I did that the rest was pretty straight forward. It's not a perfect restoration because I just feel like it doesn't need to be. It was used and I like the used look. The sole is flat and the blade is sharp. I managed to get .002" shavings and I'm pumped about that. Now I know this is a smoothing plane, so I hope to find an old jack plane to restore. As I find the tools I will post definitely post some before and after pictures. Thanks for all the kind words and wisdom. It's amazing to have a community like SMC.

Mike

Michael Alu
11-19-2016, 11:31 AM
I was able to get back into the old shop yesterday. So much to go through, but I was able to find a few items to bring home with me. As requested here are 4 that I found.

I really needed a block plane, but I believe I will have to order a new iron for this one. The one currently in it has a good amount of pitting on the bevel and I don't have a grinder to correct this or not sure if this is even fixable. Maybe someone knows a little more information and can enlighten me. I was also hoping for a good jack plane, but I haven't lost hope in finding one in there. I just scratched the surface and once we start to clear it out I am sure I will find more.

Jim Koepke
11-19-2016, 11:40 AM
If only the bevel is pitted a bit of work on some 120 grit sandpaper should get you to some good metal.

If the back is heavily pitted a replacement blade might be necessary.

jtk

Rob Luter
11-19-2016, 11:46 AM
I was able to get back into the old shop yesterday. So much to go through, but I was able to find a few items to bring home with me. As requested here are 4 that I found.

I really needed a block plane, but I believe I will have to order a new iron for this one. The one currently in it has a good amount of pitting on the bevel and I don't have a grinder to correct this or not sure if this is even fixable. Maybe someone knows a little more information and can enlighten me. I was also hoping for a good jack plane, but I haven't lost hope in finding one in there. I just scratched the surface and once we start to clear it out I am sure I will find more.

is the second from the left a #2?

Michael Alu
11-19-2016, 11:50 AM
is the second from the left a #2? It's a #3.

Rob Luter
11-19-2016, 4:05 PM
It's a #3.

A useful size. I was using my #3 today for a small smoothing task. It's one I picked up at a flea market and refurbished. Earlier posts spoke to irons that were pitted severely. I might suggest picking up new Hock irons and chip breakers for the planes you restore. I took the plunge and have been very pleased with the performance. It sure beat spending hours trying to rejuvenate an iron that had seen many miles of bad road.

Dave Parkis
11-19-2016, 9:31 PM
The good news is that if there's a plane you have to buy to fill out your arsenal, a jack (#5) is the one you want it to be. A 5 is the most common and easiest plane to find. It's also usually the least expensive. Don't be bashful about asking questions. That's how a lot of us learned how to resurrect these tools.

Michael Alu
11-19-2016, 11:33 PM
A useful size. I was using my #3 today for a small smoothing task. It's one I picked up at a flea market and refurbished. Earlier posts spoke to irons that were pitted severely. I might suggest picking up new Hock irons and chip breakers for the planes you restore. I took the plunge and have been very pleased with the performance. It sure beat spending hours trying to rejuvenate an iron that had seen many miles of bad road. I will most definitely look into these if I feel the irons will take to much work. From previous I have already restored a Millers Falls plane and that iron wasn't pitted but took substantial time to get right. I appreciate the info.

The good news is that if there's a plane you have to buy to fill out your arsenal, a jack (#5) is the one you want it to be. A 5 is the most common and easiest plane to find. It's also usually the least expensive. Don't be bashful about asking questions. That's how a lot of us learned how to resurrect these tools. Yeah I was hoping for a #5, but you are right. From what I see it is the most common. I was happy to find a #7 that seems to be in pretty decent shape. I will most definitely be asking questions if I run into any problems though. This time around I think I will detail my restoration a little more and possibly post some updated pictures once I start the process.

Glen Canaday
11-20-2016, 8:04 AM
Find something in a #5 size (#14 for us MFers) and you have the full compliment. I bet there is one in there somewhere! Looks like two #3s and a #7.

Michael Alu
11-20-2016, 11:00 AM
Find something in a #5 size (#14 for us MFers) and you have the full compliment. I bet there is one in there somewhere! Looks like two #3s and a #7.

The second from the right, the one without any marks, has Defiance stamped on the iron. From my research this was a more economical plane for the everyday person. I also believe the #7 is dated between 1907-09. I'm having a little trouble dating the #3 though.

Jim Koepke
11-20-2016, 11:41 AM
The second from the right, the one without any marks, has Defiance stamped on the iron. From my research this was a more economical plane for the everyday person. I also believe the #7 is dated between 1907-09. I'm having a little trouble dating the #3 though.

More pictures would help if you want the planes dated. Disassembled or at least with the blades off would help. The important areas are around the front knob, the frog and behind the frog.

Another thing to remember is parts often get mixed around between planes if someone has more than one of the same size.

jtk