PDA

View Full Version : Bench Apron Glue Up

ken hatch
10-06-2016, 9:31 PM
There are two more things to do before the planing bench is ready. First is adding an apron to the front and second is installing a crochet. The front apron is in glue up and will be added in the AM and the crochet is marked out and will be installed after the apron. Get all that installed , drill the holdfast/support holes in the apron and the bench will be ready for work.

A photo of the apron glue up, I'm adding a 2X to the back of the apron for better holding by the holdfasts. Once the glue sets I'll glue the apron to the slab and put Spax screws down each leg.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/apronGlueUpPlaningBench161006_zpsonsgvoi6.jpg

ken

Blake M Williams
10-07-2016, 9:00 AM
I've never used a crochet before, is it strictly for holding long boards in place along with holdfasts? Aside from this, what other reasons for the aprons? I made my first bench and added aprons. I'm still not sure if I like having them. Maybe I'm using the wrong kind vise. Are you going to have a vise on the other side?

ken hatch
10-07-2016, 9:29 AM
I've never used a crochet before, is it strictly for holding long boards in place along with holdfasts? Aside from this, what other reasons for the aprons? I made my first bench and added aprons. I'm still not sure if I like having them. Maybe I'm using the wrong kind vise. Are you going to have a vise on the other side?Blake,Yes, the crochet is for holding boards for edge planing. This bench will be used to plane, because I seldom use a vise when planing it will not have a vise. I have a Moxon vise if one is needed. My other bench is a joinery bench and it has a English QR face vise. If you haven't watched Mike Siemsen's video on working without a vise it might be worth a look. It may help you give some love to the apron. I find them very useful, much more than a deadman or bench jack.

ken

Blake M Williams
10-07-2016, 10:31 AM
I just watched that video on you tube. I am now an apron believer! Anyone who hasn't watched that video needs to. I used 2 x 12s for my aprons, planed flat and smooth. I have the gramercy 3/4 holdfasts, do I need to add some wood to the back of my aprons? I have been planning on drilling a few holes anyway, use a spacer and holdfast for long boards with the vise. I really liked his moxon like vise he did to.

I have a vice so I probably do not really need to worry about it, but what about making mortise and tenon joints? I suppose just hold down with holdfasts and then flip over... I think I need more holdfasts... a few more.

I cant wait to see your finished bench. what kind of dogs will you use?

ken hatch
10-07-2016, 3:12 PM
Just finished refurbishing the secondary bench by lowering it, adding an apron, and a crochet. It will now be used as a planing bench and assembly bench. Here it is holding a 4/4 board for edge planing.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/finishedPlaningBench161007_zpscesef2sp.jpg

Blake,

When I use dogs the ones I like are the plastic Kreg dogs. If the Kreg dogs stick up too high then I will use some shop made wooden ones. I also have some square dogs for this bench that are almost never used. Mortise and tenon joints are made on the joinery bench.

ken

Glen Canaday
10-07-2016, 3:13 PM
Because of Mike's video, my crochet is a simple 45 degree mortise with a matching hunk of wood :)

ken hatch
10-07-2016, 3:32 PM
Because of Mike's video, my crochet is a simple 45 degree mortise with a matching hunk of wood :)

Mike does like to keep it simple, so do I but as this was a retrofit this was the easiest way. I try not to rant too much about bench builds mostly because different things flip different folk's skirt but reading and watching posts on first time bench builds can and sometimes will cause a bench rant. Then I go back on my meds. I think Mike is doing a real service with his videos.

ken