PDA

View Full Version : Should I rejoin the vortex?

Steve Mathews
10-06-2016, 7:00 PM
I sold my Powermatic 3520A not long ago primarily because of more pressing projects and frankly, woodturning ended up being more challenging than expected. I knew that I would return to the hobby someday though. That said, I came across an old Powermatic 90 with an asking price of $240 recently. I'm still not ready to devote a lot of time to woodturning but I don't want to pass up a good deal. Should I buy this old beast?

Don Jarvie
10-06-2016, 7:10 PM
If everything checks out that's a great deal. Even if you don't like it you can easily double your money if you sell it.

Mike Peace
10-06-2016, 9:08 PM
I sold my Powermatic 3520A not long ago primarily because of more pressing projects and frankly, woodturning ended up being more challenging than expected. I knew that I would return to the hobby someday though. That said, I came across an old Powermatic 90 with an asking price of $240 recently. I'm still not ready to devote a lot of time to woodturning but I don't want to pass up a good deal. Should I buy this old beast?

I think you answered your own question. Finding what appears to be a bargain is a poor reason for buying a lathe.

Mark Greenbaum
10-07-2016, 8:31 AM
PM90's at the right price are work horse machines. Limitations of fixed variable speeds can be overcome. They are solid units if all the pieces are there, and the mechanics are in good order.

Reed Gray
10-07-2016, 1:20 PM
Biggest problem with the 90 is that you had a 3520 first, which would spoil you.... A lot of people lose interest and sell cheap, and the new buyer will find that most of the seller's issue was that tools were dull. Huge 'satisfaction' point...

robo hippy