PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice On How To Effectively Clean Greasy Fingerprints Off Of Kitchen Cabinets

Dom Garafalo
10-06-2016, 12:01 PM
I am looking for advice on an effective but safe way to clean a build up of greasy fingerprints on kitchen cabinet doors and drawers especially around knobs.

I've tried checking on the internet a number of times but most suggested solutions involving dish washing soap and water or white vinegar and hot water which simply doesn't work. I'm looking for something that will cut through the grease buildup that forms around the knobs of doors and drawers used most often.

If it matters, my cabinets are solid oak with a stain and clear coating.

I would appreciate any comments regarding solutions that have worked for you.

Thank you.

Ole Anderson
10-06-2016, 12:55 PM
Zep heavy duty citrus degreaser in a spray bottle at HD.

Erik Loza
10-06-2016, 1:02 PM
+1 for the citrus type cleaners.

Erik

Kev Williams
10-06-2016, 2:34 PM
Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. You might get away with applying it with a Magic Eraser on the tough spots, but check for dulling of the clear coat.
Good idea to test the Mother's too, but I've never had a problem with it.

Chris Padilla
10-06-2016, 3:27 PM
Vinegar and water.

Dom Garafalo
10-06-2016, 4:10 PM
Vinegar and water just did not work for me.

Stephen Tashiro
10-06-2016, 4:58 PM
Vinegar and water just did not work for me.

Paint thinner always works for me, but obviously you have to go gently if the doors are painted.

Mike Chance in Iowa
10-06-2016, 6:49 PM
We've had good results with just the Magic Eraser, but it does matter what type of finish the cabinets have. Like Kev already mentioned, Magic Eraser may leave marks. We have also had some decent results using Fantastik Scrubbing Bubbles Max Grease Cleaner. It too has citrus in it and it doesn't leave streaks on our gloss black top gas stove.

Greg Dent
10-06-2016, 6:51 PM
Lemon oil soap or murpheys oil soap. Cuts the grease and wont hurt the finish.

Lee Schierer
10-06-2016, 7:01 PM
One of the problems is the greasey fingerprints also tend to soften the finish so it is difficult to tell when the grease is gone. Use the cleaners such as trisodium phosphate and a plastic scrubbing pad to get the grease off. If the finish is softened you may have to strip the cabinets to get a good finish.

Bill Jobe
10-06-2016, 8:42 PM
Try shampoo. It is formulated to desolve human oils.