PDA

View Full Version : parts from converting a powermatic drill press from 3 phase

cody michael
10-06-2016, 10:55 AM
My drill press was 3 phase, I have it running off a phase converter now, there is a bunch of electrical components that Im not sure what they do in the metal enclosure, I searched a few of the items and they show up on ebay for a decent amount of money, are these items I can sell, should I sell them separately or all together? is there any use for them with my drill press switched to phase converter?

Adam Herman
10-06-2016, 11:19 AM
why not just install a VFD? http://dealerselectric.com/FM50-202-C.asp

If you plan is to use 220 single phase you will be replacing the motor which will be as much or more than using a VFD and you gain variable speed and reverse at the push of a button.

220 single phase may still require the transformer. can you give us a shot of the controls?

also... what do you mean "switched to phase converter"?

cody michael
10-06-2016, 11:27 AM
I have a vfd. That is what I meant, sorry for being vague. I have the VFD just wired straight to the motor, it works great, has speed control etc. My plan is to remove that whole enclosure and mount the vfd where the enclosure currently is.

On a related note, I would really like to run the vfd on off switch off the stock on off switch, does anyone know if that is how it can work, and what ports on the vfd do I need to connect to?

teco fm50
http://www.factorymation.com/Products/FM50_115V/FM50-101-C.html
That is the vfd I have.

Malcolm McLeod
10-06-2016, 11:28 AM
That is your 3-phase power distribution termination block, control power transformer (& fuse), and motor starter (w/ overloads??). I am not familiar with specifics of Furnas, but I think that it includes the overloads. I can't tell enough from the pics, put typically the circuit will convert 2 legs of the 230V, 3ph, to 120V, 1ph via the transformer - and then use that to power your switches, the starter coil, (and maybe a light?).

I would expect you would want to keep it all - even if on a phase converter. The phase converter is just supplying the power. The components you want to sell :eek: are there to allow you to start and stop the motor.

Edit: Just read your clarification. 1-ph to 3-ph VFD and phase converter are gia-normously different. Ignore above.

Adam Herman
10-06-2016, 11:33 AM
the VFD includes all the things in that box, in a smaller and more controllable package.

good choice on the vfd! i have a 2hp on my mid 40s beast of a drill press.

If you have the manual, it spells it out very well. there are spots on the front terminal block that correspond to reverse/fwd and on/off. there are several ways to use these and the power is supplied by the vfd. there are settings you will need to change to use those ports. If you don't have your manual, i can send you a scan of the pages out of mine.

Malcolm McLeod
10-06-2016, 11:36 AM
...run the vfd on off switch off the stock on off switch, does anyone know if that is how it can work, and what ports on the vfd do I need to connect to?

teco fm50
http://www.factorymation.com/Products/FM50_115V/FM50-101-C.html
That is the vfd I have.

See page 17 and 18 of the manual. The stock switches will be wired to use the 12V source on the drive.

Set parameter F_10 = '1'.

Also, something to look carefully at - - If your existing 'start/stop' are PBs (rather than selector switch), I would bet that the 'stop' switch is wired to a normally closed contact. The VFD will need normally open contacts on the 'stop' input. So, you may need to either verify that there is a NO contact on the PB, or buy a new contact block for the operator part of the switch.

David Kumm
10-06-2016, 12:28 PM
I would have thought Factorymation would have suggested the sensorless vector 7300 series for that application but I'm way above my pay grade. I'd leave the electricals intact and just bypass everything. Those old machines have more value if kept original and you won't get much for the electricals. Not enough to be worth the effort. Dave

Rich Riddle
10-06-2016, 5:56 PM
I too would keep all the internal parts with the drill press.

Matt Day
10-06-2016, 8:36 PM
I'd sell the extra parts. What are you going to do with them if you keep them? Sit in a pile and collect dust? If you ever sell it, likely they won't be needed by the next person either.

cody michael
10-08-2016, 4:42 PM
That is your 3-phase power distribution termination block, control power transformer (& fuse), and motor starter (w/ overloads??). I am not familiar with specifics of Furnas, but I think that it includes the overloads. I can't tell enough from the pics, put typically the circuit will convert 2 legs of the 230V, 3ph, to 120V, 1ph via the transformer - and then use that to power your switches, the starter coil, (and maybe a light?).

I would expect you would want to keep it all - even if on a phase converter. The phase converter is just supplying the power. The components you want to sell :eek: are there to allow you to start and stop the motor.

Edit: Just read your clarification. 1-ph to 3-ph VFD and phase converter are gia-normously different. Ignore above.

Do you have any idea of the value of those different pieces? If I sold them on ebay could I expect like 10$ 50$ more? I have no need for them and I only sell my tools to upgrade. I don't see myself having the money to by anything nicer for a long time.

How do I tell if my current switch will work? If it is pb or selector switch? They are just push button similar to what you use with a magnetic starter.

Don Jarvie
10-08-2016, 9:32 PM
It's a Furnas switch you have and could fetch 50-75 dollars. Keep it because you may need it in the future. over time you may get a bigger machine and will be looking for this type of starter.