PDA

View Full Version : Silver Sneakers

Rich Engelhardt
10-06-2016, 4:39 AM
For all of the medicare crowd....since it's "open enrollment" time..

If you aren't familiar with the Silver Sneakers program, now is the best time to read up on it.

I just went on Medicare Sept. 1st and the Advantage plan I'm on includes Silver Sneakers. What a wonderful bonus! Silver Sneakers picks up the membership costs for dozens of fitness clubs. There's no limit to the number you can join.
I joined two clubs that have indoor pools - at a cost to me of only $10 for the one club as a one time charge to print the membership card. The other club is 100% free to me.
The reason I joined two is that the hours differ between the two and so do the programs they offer.

Anyhow - the short story is that the regular price of joining the two clubs comes out to about $150 a month.

I've noticed that the cost of most plans differ by only a couple of dollars & the covered expenses are all about the same. There's not much difference in cost or coverage between company "A" and company "B" and company "C".
The Silver Sneakers program can be a game changer though when you factor in the cost of memberships.

Just thought I'd toss this out so anyone that can - - can take advantage of this great program.

Bruce Wrenn
10-06-2016, 8:09 AM
Wife has been using "Silver Sneakers" for years. Be aware that clubs only get paid if you go so many times per month. My plan requires me to drive 15 miles past three different clubs, including local Y to get to club. Local assisted retirement ctr has open pool on three days a week. Just show up and swim.

Kurt Kintner
10-06-2016, 8:27 AM
Me, too ..... I belong to a gym 2 miles from home....
One of the members commented his membership is free ...
Asked if I had United Healthcare for my supplemental,
which I do ...When my membership came due, it took
the manager a couple of minutes to sign me up....
Free from here out .... I didn't know there was an attendance
rule... I go 5 days a week, anyway...

Rich Engelhardt
10-09-2016, 6:28 AM
Be aware that clubs only get paid if you go so many times per month.According to this (http://www.mymanatee.org/published/REVISED%20April%2023,%202013%20-%20Regular%20Meeting%20on%20Tuesday,%20April%2023, %202013/E754ADDB-8992-4D9C-A920-216917D724C6.pdf) the requirement is once a month & the maximum is 10. Healthways pays $3.50 per visit to the gym with a max per month of $35.00.