PDA

View Full Version : I feel like a bad parent

Dave Richards
10-02-2005, 3:17 PM
This morning I was out in my shop for the first time in I don't know how long. I discovered that my almost new Veritas 4 1/2 and medium shoulder planes had rust on them. I've disassembled them and cleaned them up with mineral spirits to start. That seemed to have gotten rid of the iron oxide but the metal now looks black in those areas. What can I do to get rid of that without removing the black paint?

I feel like I need a lesson in proper parenting from Mr. Smalser. :o

Philip Edwards
10-03-2005, 6:23 AM
Dave
I use a felt wheel with a little jewelers rouge and go over the affected areas=it quickly polishes away any imperfections.
Cheers
Phil

Brad Olson
10-03-2005, 11:27 AM
I'd consider investing in some plane sacks. I keep all my planes in them and rust is no longer a problem.

You can also get rid of the black patches with a scotchbrite pad. Just make sure you work the entire surface otherwise you'll be albe to see the different type of scuff marks from the scotch brite pad

Steve Schoene
10-03-2005, 2:03 PM
But some time you have to let them grow up and look like tools instead of jewelry.

Steve Beadle
10-03-2005, 2:53 PM
I have seen a few different products recommended for preventing rust on tools. Renaissance Wax (see on Highland Hardware's website) is supposed to be pretty good. I have also used Camellia Oil and a silicon-free wax called Waxilit (both from Lee Valley/Veritas), which I apply before putting the plane in a plane sack. So far, so good!

Dave Richards
10-03-2005, 4:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I guess Steve Schoene is right.

I felt similar albeit worse when my son got his first scrape.

:D

Marc Burt
10-05-2005, 7:35 AM
I seem to have more of a problem with my veritas planes rusting than I do other planes. My shoulder plane has quite a few of those black spots you referred to ;) I keep mine rubbed down with camelia oil when not in use also. The adjusters rusted almost instantly on mine aswell. Other planes, no rust problem at all.

Dave Richards
10-05-2005, 7:55 AM
Marc, it hadn't occurred to me until I read your post but it is only my Veritas planes that have rusted. None of the cast iron tables or other iron stuff has rusted. I wonder how the cast iron that Veritas uses differes from all the rest in my shop.

Timo Christ
10-05-2005, 8:02 AM
i don't know the chemistry, but it's been reported several times that the *ductile* cast iron that e.g. Veritas uses rusts quicker than "normal" CI. OTOH, the plane won't break when you drop it...
HTH
Timo

Charles Stanford
10-05-2005, 10:48 AM
But some time you have to let them grow up and look like tools instead of jewelry.

Couldn't have said it better.

FWIW, whenever I've read Smalser's pictorial guide(s) his tools look like, well, tools. Impeccably tuned I'm sure, but real working tools not pretty things that spend the bulk of their time in a tiger maple wall cabinet.

I can appreciate not being able to spend lots of time in one's shop but my God when you do don't spend this valuable and rare time polishing tools.

If using them won't knock a little rust off then it won't hurt that part to be a little 'patinated.'

Dave Richards
10-05-2005, 1:40 PM
Charles, I know what you're saying. It's still a little disconcerting to see rust on a plane I've hardly used. In fact other than trying it out, I haven't done anything with the 4 1/2 yet.