PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Chairs: What to put on the bottom?

Allan Speers
10-05-2016, 8:55 PM
Last year I made some kitchen chairs. The kitchen has hard porcelain tile. The chairs are armless, & so are not easy to pick up, so I wanted them to slide easily and quietly.

I hated the sound of plain wood on the tile, so I tried UHMW plastic. That sounded just as bad, but in a different way.

I tried strips of ozite (dense poly carpet) and that was quiet, but surprisingly it was too hard to pull.

I tried spraying the ozite with silicone. This was FABULOUS, though messy, but it didn't last more than a few months. Did I mention messy?

So... What do you guys recommend?

Stan Calow
10-05-2016, 9:06 PM
Waiting to hear good ideas. Every hardware store solution I've tried has not lasted very long.

Frederick Skelly
10-05-2016, 9:55 PM
I use adjustable felt levellers.They mount in a 5/16 diameter hole. They seem to hold up. I've bought them locally but betcha Amazon has them too.

Allan Speers
10-06-2016, 10:12 PM
Thanks, Frederick.

Does felt slide easily, with nothing applied?

- I ask because, suprisingly, the Ozite did not. It slides, but you have to really tug to get it moving.

John T Barker
10-07-2016, 1:53 AM
Thanks, Frederick.

- I ask because, suprisingly, the Ozite did not. It slides, but you have to really tug to get it moving.

Typically the product put on the bottom of a chair leg is called a glide. I think they call it this because it does. I think lifting the chair slightly is a requirement. 300lb Uncle Fred will do some serious damage if he does not lift. The big hardware stores have a wide selection, I would opt for adhesive felt and deal with replacement.

Bradley Gray
10-07-2016, 2:55 AM
+1 for stick on felt. You'll have to replace occasionally but it is cheap and easy.

Allan Speers
10-07-2016, 3:30 AM
Sounds reasonable, thanks guys.

I'll drop some recessed threads in their and attach some kind of replaceable felt glides.

Being as this is a kitchen, they will get gunked up really fast (as did the Ozite ones) but as long as they glide smooth when reasonably fresh, I can live with it.

Frederick Skelly
10-07-2016, 6:20 AM
Thanks, Frederick.

It did on the chairs I've used it on Allan.

Johannes Becker
10-07-2016, 7:29 AM
I tried some of the felt glides from LV on my kitchen chairs and they seem to be a better quality than what I could find locally.

lowell holmes
10-07-2016, 1:23 PM
When your hungry, your posterior.:)

Erik Loza
10-07-2016, 2:00 PM
We have hardwood floors and I put felt on all the chairs/dining table. No issues moving or marring the floor.

Erik

keith wootton
10-07-2016, 6:15 PM
i use a grey tough heavy suede leather intended for anti-chafe on sails and sail covers. keith

Ken Fitzgerald
10-07-2016, 6:53 PM
We installed some expensive vinyl flooring during our kitchen remodel last year. I put some felt glides on the bottoms of the chairs. The glide easily and hasn't scuffed the vinyl yet.

johnny means
10-08-2016, 1:43 PM
+1 for felt.

Andrew J. Coholic
10-08-2016, 3:52 PM
https://www.hafele.ca/en/product/furniture-glide-with-nail-and-felt-pad/000000a600034a1b00080023/#SearchParameter=&Category=TD7AqBtGEucAAAFJ44xygnkz&FF.followSearch=9949&PageNumber=3&OriginalPageSize=12&Position=29&OrigPos=

been using these on my customer's chairs (and other furniture) for years.

Allan Speers
10-09-2016, 9:37 PM
https://www.hafele.ca/en/product/furniture-glide-with-nail-and-felt-pad/000000a600034a1b00080023/#SearchParameter=&Category=TD7AqBtGEucAAAFJ44xygnkz&FF.followSearch=9949&PageNumber=3&OriginalPageSize=12&Position=29&OrigPos=

been using these on my customer's chairs (and other furniture) for years.

I'm sold on felt, but in the kitchen things get wet & messy. The ozite I used previously got clogged & hard, and then of course it was noisy & scratchy on the porcelain tile.

That's why I like the idea of using removable (bolt on) glides on kitchen chairs. Assuming I can find some. I haven't looked yet.

Jerry Bruette
10-09-2016, 10:13 PM
Mcmaster-Carr has chair glides that slip over the ends of the legs. I use them on the chairs, on porcelain tile, at my cabin. They're not very fashionable but they work.

Andrew J. Coholic
10-09-2016, 10:52 PM
I'm sold on felt, but in the kitchen things get wet & messy. The ozite I used previously got clogged & hard, and then of course it was noisy & scratchy on the porcelain tile.

That's why I like the idea of using removable (bolt on) glides on kitchen chairs. Assuming I can find some. I haven't looked yet.

Those are pretty easy to pull out and press in another, if required. They also sell a similar glide with a thread in stem instead of a nail, but I have never bought them.

Also, I have also purchased a nylon cup that screws to the leg and then you press in a peel and stick felt. They work pretty good too but the felts can still slide over time and fall off. I have not had much luck with peel and stick felts on chairs. Stationary pieces of furniture, yes. But chairs that move all the time, the felts always seem to come off in a few months.

Just my experiences.. yours and others probably will vary! :)

Frederick Skelly
10-10-2016, 9:14 AM
Allan, these are the ones I use. I FINALLY found them on Amazon. Sorry I couldn't provide this sooner - they just weren't coming up when I searched.
Fred

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXJRX7O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1