PDA

View Full Version : Hello Folks. New here thought I would say Hi.

Greg Dent
10-05-2016, 8:36 PM
My Name is Greg I am in Kitchener Waterloo Ontario. I am a carpenter by trade and I am continuing my love of wood by getting into wood working. Right now to make the happen quicker I am restoring a SMC C35 invincibile 5 in one machine. The table saw jointer and planer are powered by a 40 amp 220 motor. I am running with that as I do not have 550 volt in my shop. I am going to be expanding my woodworking and getting into it more and more to bring more income into our home.

I am in my late 40's and finding carpentry harder and harder to keep up with. I will be focusing on upcycled woodworking with some fine woodworking included in my endevours.

I look forward to learning some trick and techniques here with you gals and guys. I am a member of Canadian woodworking and home improvements forum as well.

Frederick Skelly
10-05-2016, 9:03 PM
Welcome Greg! Glad to have you with us!
Fred

Bruce Page
10-05-2016, 9:29 PM
Welcome Greg, there are a lot of talented people here to ask and learn from.

daryl moses
10-05-2016, 9:50 PM
Welcome aboard Greg, you live in a beautiful part of the country. I had an Uncle that lived in Paris Ontario, I have fond memories spending my Summers there as a youth. I remember going through Kitchener on my visits.

Bill McNiel
10-05-2016, 9:58 PM
Welcome Greg, you will find SMC to be a great resource as well as just plain enjoyable. You might want to put your location in your profile, it helps when you ask a question (I am channeling Jimmie K).

Greg Dent
10-05-2016, 10:02 PM
Ok I just signed up the other night. Was directed by someone from Canadian woodworking forum because of my question on the planer guards on my machine. I found that thread was an awesome read. I will fill stuff out now for ya.

Mike Ontko
10-06-2016, 10:18 AM
Greetings and salutations, Greg! You'll find that your're not alone here as there are a lot of other Creekers that began their "fine woodworking" journey based on earlier experiences in carpentry and related building trades.

Erik Loza
10-06-2016, 11:31 AM
Post a picture of that Invincible.

Erik

Ken Fitzgerald
10-06-2016, 12:08 PM
Welcome to the Creek Greg! Wade right in..... the water's fine!

Dave Lehnert
10-06-2016, 5:01 PM
Welcome to the creek.

Greg Dent
10-06-2016, 6:22 PM
Ok here are some pics in no particular order. 345293345294345295345296345297345298

Greg Dent
10-06-2016, 6:32 PM
I had to do quite a bit to it. I replaced every bearing in it because they were on their last revolution. Also the drive chain for the infeed rollers was shot. So i had to order a new chain all new belts and clean the hell out of the tables. I have all the tables back on. I even tore the lift for the planer table and cleaned it all up. The screw disk for the lift was shot and I used the one out of the shaper lift. It was in perfect shape.

I have to rewire the motor and switches now and I also had to order a new sprocket and bearing for the idler arm. They used it till there was nothing left of even the bearing on it. The sprocket was gone and the outside race. The chain was riding on the inner race and it wore the rods that hold the rollers out on the chain. Everything on these is Metric so even the chain was British standard chain. Was fun to find it all. I had to order that sprocket and bearing today. So I am hoping to have that in by next Wednesday. The wiring on it was cracked and just worn out. So I will be rewiring the entire thing to make it safe. The shaper motor is 550 volt I only have 220 single phase so I wont be running it. All in all even without that It will be nice to get it back together and get the blades installed. It has 14" blades so it has lots of capacity. I will get more pics for you guys.

Erik Loza
10-07-2016, 9:54 AM
Looks like a fun project, Greg. Thanks for sharing. They literally don't make them like that, these days.

Erik

Rich Riddle
10-07-2016, 1:49 PM
Welcome to the Creek. That's an old European machine, and as such you can talk about it at owwm (old woodworking machines) dot com. They will help you with any issues you might have or steer you in the proper direction.

Greg Dent
10-07-2016, 1:55 PM
Yup made in Italy.