PDA

View Full Version : Could Have Been A Stressful Day. Ever Feel like Technology Runs Your Life?

Andrew Joiner
10-05-2016, 12:41 PM
First thing in the morning I had to scan and email some bank documents. My wife is the computer expert and she got it scanned and emailed from her computer to mine. I thought I could complete the process from there as she was off to work. Spent half an hour trying to get the scanned stuff into an email I could send and no luck.
OK, have a cup of coffee and try it again. The new microwave is stuck on 50% power so I get out the owners manual. Spent 20 minutes trying every thing and still 50% power.

Yesterday we finally gave up on cutting off cable TV. Even after paying an expert to come over and look at our setup. The bottom line was to use our wireless headphones and get all our TV's on antennas just won't work. We may have to buy one new TV and different headphones (more technology to learn!)

I'm so grateful I'm retired. I took a deep breath and posted this. In my world most things can wait till tomorrow. Can't believe I used handle all the stress of running my own business and keeping a home together.

I live by the mottos "one day at a time" and "first things first" so I don't get to crazy.

Ever feel like technology runs your life?

Dennis Peacock
10-05-2016, 1:08 PM
I feel like that most every day. :D

Chuck Wintle
10-05-2016, 5:16 PM
[QUOTE=Andrew Joiner;2611018]First thing in the morning I had to scan and email some bank documents. My wife is the computer expert and she got it scanned and emailed from her computer to mine. I thought I could complete the process from there as she was off to work. Spent half an hour trying to get the scanned stuff into an email I could send and no luck.
OK, have a cup of coffee and try it again. The new microwave is stuck on 50% power so I get out the owners manual. Spent 20 minutes trying every thing and still 50% power.

Yesterday we finally gave up on cutting off cable TV. Even after paying an expert to come over and look at our setup. The bottom line was to use our wireless headphones and get all our TV's on antennas just won't work. We may have to buy one new TV and different headphones (more technology to learn!)

I'm so grateful I'm retired. I took a deep breath and posted this. In my world most things can wait till tomorrow. Can't believe I used handle all the stress of running my own business and keeping a home together.

I live by the mottos "one day at a time" and "first things first" so I don't get to crazy.

Ever feel like technology runs your life?[/QUOTE
IMHO the onslaught of technology will be the downfall of man. As it(technology) becomes more and more complicated to use there will be an alienation of some of the population. Technology is great when it works reliably and can be masted by most anyone. But often technology fails the user because of some glitch etc.

Jerry Thompson
10-05-2016, 7:16 PM
We cut the cord on TV and put up an antenna. It cost $100 and there was no problem putting up a pole and aiming it. We now get 32 channels, four of which I watch. We used to ge 200+ channels and I still only watched about 4. We both have flip top phones and no land line. So there are some savings and less aggravation.
I use our computer for banking, news, and to read the comics. Oh and pass on jokes to friends by email.
I use two programs for photo editing and that is it. I am not going to get any more technical than that.
My grandkids do not know how we survive. Ludite live is great.

Andrew Joiner
10-06-2016, 10:57 AM
It's a new day. Got the scanned documents emailed. Got the microwave on full power. My wife want's to keep cable TV and is happy to pay for it with her extra income. I'm liking technology today.

Just got my first cell phone and I'm setting it up today. I'm sure that will be simple and go perfectly!

Steve Peterson
10-06-2016, 11:40 AM
I am generally a big fan of technology where it is appropriate. I hate the way every manufacturer thinks they need to add programmable buttons to everything. Each one does it slightly different than the others so you have to spend an hour figuring each system out.

Then after I learn how to use it, I hate when they change it. I was perfectly happy with Windows 95. How many times did MS change the interface? None of the changes were any better, just different and forcing me to learn a new way to do the same thing.

Steve

Ken Fitzgerald
10-06-2016, 12:28 PM
For over 40 years professionally, technology ran my life. Once we retired, my wife and I got our first cell phones which were smartphones for a reason. She travels much more than I and being deaf the ability to text message was important. Mine only gets turned on when she's out of town.

Technology doesn't run my life anymore. It's at my mercy.

Jim Becker
10-06-2016, 5:13 PM
I honestly don't mind the technology so much, but I've been involved with it for so many years in my work as well as my personal pursuits. But what I don't like are things like what happened to my dad this week...he got nailed by ransomeware and trying to explain things like this to him is sometimes difficult. In the end, I told him to turn it off and put it away...I'm sending him a Chromebook that just took me about 30 minutes or so to setup and should theoretically be less prone to this kind of thing. He's 85 and sometimes doesn't realize how folks try to take advantage, but I don't want him to be without email, Facebook and online access to ExpressScripts as they are how he stays in touch with so many friends and family and manages his prescriptions. (I manage the 'rent's money at this point...electronically, of course. :) )