PDA

View Full Version : Replacement laser tube source

jud dinsmore
10-05-2016, 12:37 PM
I just picked up a Hurricane laser that needs a new tube. It has a 60w tube in there now, but has enough room to allow for an 80w or 100w tube. What source would you recommend for a new laser tube?

Keith Downing
10-05-2016, 2:27 PM
For a US source, most people on here seem to recommend lightobject(dot)com. Never used them myself.

Also, you will most likely need a new power supply if you're trying to go up to a 80 or 100w tube. They can probably tell you what you need though.

Bill George
10-05-2016, 4:19 PM
Not only will you need a new power supply the 80 and 100 watt tubes are longer. Info on lightobject dot com
DC glass water cooled tubes life will vary from 3 months to 2 or 3 years, it all depends on the current they are set at, the water temperature, and a few more variables.

Joseph Shawa
10-05-2016, 8:13 PM
You can get good brand name tubes from many Chinese companies.
If you go that route before you finally order it ask them to show you how it is going to be packaged!!
The problem I have had is that they really love to protect the middle of the tube when, because of the long and heavy crate that it is in is difficult to maneuver, the ends get dropped and the neck breaks.
RECI comes in a bigger box with lots of foam at the end. One company Master Laser I believe, suspends the tube in the crate with springs.
I deal with LaserSPT. They manufactured my Power Supply and are helpful and trustworthy. They also manufacture what appear to be quality tubes though I haven't tried one yet.
Unfortunately, for all these companies, Chinglish is their primary means of communicating. Oh, and they love to Skype...DO NOT even bother!

I purchased and EFR made a power supply and wouldn't warranty it when it didn't work properly. I wouldn't go with EFR for that reason alone.
Truth is, you may not need a new power supply quite yet as the 60 power supply I had ran my 150W tube just fine. You just MAY not get up to the 25mA or whatever your max is. Hey longer life tube.....but you'll always wish you had more.

Shipping will be less if you order them together.

Check the wiring of the power supply when you do get your new one. They are NOT STANDARD.
My 60W wiring caused my 150W to Blow fuses on power up. (Crazy thing is that it worked with the machine switched off. 3 Pole)

You might need a new tube mount. Check out the adjustable one below. It's from LaserSPT. If you need a contact let me know.
http://7d9rpj.com1.z0.glb.clouddn.com/68/laser%20spare%20parts.pnghttp://7d9rpj.com1.z0.glb.clouddn.com/68/laser%20tube%20mount.png
You are going to need new mounts too probably. Check out this mount. I am about to order one but want to see a real life picture...trust issues.

Doug Fisher
10-05-2016, 10:27 PM
I don't have direct experience with them but I do know multiple people who were happy with Mactron if you want to order directly from China. As others have said, Lightobjects in the USA gets mentioned a lot on the forums.

Bill George
10-06-2016, 7:39 AM
If you want to deal direct with China and pay for shipping direct and customs, plus when it comes broken have fun dealing with the shipper and the company that sold it to you. You may pay a couple bucks more for a US vendor, but you have protection. I have dealt with the people at Lightobject for years and I know they are honest and fair.

Matt McCoy
10-06-2016, 9:29 AM
If you want to deal direct with China and pay for shipping direct and customs, plus when it comes broken have fun dealing with the shipper and the company that sold it to you. You may pay a couple bucks more for a US vendor, but you have protection. I have dealt with the people at Lightobject for years and I know they are honest and fair.

Oh, it's not so bad. Shipping is fairly quick to the U.S. and reasonable, since it's subsidized by their government. You might have to make sure the company you buy from completes the FDA Rad Doc for Customs, but once you've been through that hoop, it's pretty straightforward. I've imported 4 tubes without any shipping damage, but have seen those that have had issues. Most suppliers I've looked at will accept Paypal, which offers some protection if the transaction goes south, but they also typically have Ebay stores if you would prefer that leverage for a slight premium. I would recommend purchasing a matching power supply, if you're switching to a higher wattage tube.

jud dinsmore
10-06-2016, 10:42 AM

here's my power supply. the manual says that i can adjust the milliamps from the software, but i cannot seem to find it. the sticker in the upper left corner references milliamp settings for various wattages. do you think think power supply can be adjusted to support a bigger laser tube?

jud dinsmore
10-06-2016, 11:18 AM
never mind. upon further review, i saw a sticker on the side of the power supply that references 60w.