PDA

View Full Version : Finished Small Kidney Table

Mike Waddell
10-02-2005, 1:00 PM
'Afternoon, Ladies and Gents -

A while back I posted a couple of pictures of an unfinished table I built for the LOML. Here are a couple of pictures of the finished project.

Also, a couple of people made suggestions via email regarding a different style of leg or an enhancement to make the piece more balanced. Both people said they would have to see the piece after it was finished. If any of you have ideas regarding the legs or balancing the piece out a bit, please forward them on. Thanks in advance.

Lastly, still working on gathering the pictures of the build process for the bentwood lamination used to create the table. I will post as soon as I get my act together!

Have a great afternoon, and I hope your favorite team wins.

Mike

Jim Becker
10-02-2005, 1:07 PM
Outstanding!!! Outstanding!! Outstanding!! (Did I happen to mention, "Outstanding?"...)

David Wilson
10-02-2005, 1:10 PM
MIke
Verry nice work

Corey Hallagan
10-02-2005, 1:24 PM
That is just plain cool. The design is great and the wood grain is beautiful and you finished it in an excellent manner. Thanks for the pics!

Corey

Ken Garlock
10-02-2005, 1:37 PM
Excellent, excellent work. Any wife would be pleased to get that table. :)

Russ Massery
10-02-2005, 2:55 PM
Most excellent!:D Nice job.

Dan Forman
10-02-2005, 3:43 PM
Beautiful wood, creative design, great craftsmanship. Since you asked about the legs,I don't remember the previous thread, but perhaps something a bit more delicate with a little curve in them might look more at home with the rest of the piece.

Dan

Mike Waddell
10-02-2005, 8:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words, and thank you to Dan for the idea on the legs! I'll give it some thought and see what I can come up with.

Have a great night!

Mike

Bob Noles
10-02-2005, 9:05 PM
Mike,

I was hoping to see it when you finished.

That turned out even nicer than I had dreamed.

Beautiful work.

John Miliunas
10-02-2005, 9:11 PM
Mike, yeah...What Becker said!:D Well that and, it really IS outstanding!!!:) Very, very well done!:) :cool:

john whittaker
10-02-2005, 9:28 PM
Mike.....did anyone say..."OUTSTANDING"?

The mahogany is spectacular and I like the way you kept the grain consistent all the way around the sides including the drawer front. Very impressive. When/if you get around to posting bent lamination pics you might mention how you finished the piece. The finish looks very good.

Thanks for posting....

Joe Blankshain
10-02-2005, 9:33 PM
Mike,
That is some fine work. What was your inspiration? Thanks for sharing with us rookies!

Larry Crim
10-02-2005, 11:01 PM
outstanding work, I look forward to your build process post

Larry

Vaughn McMillan
10-03-2005, 1:14 AM
Nice job Mike. I liked it before, and I really like it now. I'll be looking forward to your bent lamination write-up.

- Vaughn

Ken Fitzgerald
10-03-2005, 8:20 AM
Mike I liked the unfinished project and now....WOW!

Aaron Montgomery
10-03-2005, 8:56 AM
Great work! Can't wait to see your lamination pictures.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-03-2005, 9:13 AM
Mike, that is a great looking table. It is like nothing I have seen before. A very neat design!!

P.s.

OUTSTANDING!

Mike Waddell
10-03-2005, 6:24 PM
Thanks to everyone for the comments! I brought a jump drive home with me tonight to transfer pictures between cameras and computers so that I have all the lamination pictures in one place. I hope to post the process I followed tonight or tomorrow night, depending on how the steaks cook up on the grill tonight!

Joe, the inspiration for the piece was a kidney shaped desk that LOML works at when she works from home. She really likes the curves and the proportions of the desk, so she asked that I build the table to match her desk.

As it turns out, the top of the table (both in size of the top and in height of the drawered area) is proportional to her original desk. She keeps her small personal stereo on top of the unit (it hurts to see the "modern" silver stereo on top of the mahogany piece) and is generally very pleased wtih it.

Both she and I would like for the next project to be an "entertainment center" that somehow echos the curves of her desk and this table in some way. I'm not sure how to do that, but we'll thunk it a good while and see what we can come up with.

Thanks again, everybody!