PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying font

Erica Scorsonelli
10-04-2016, 5:32 PM
Hi all - another engraver abruptly went out of business here in Reno and they used this font on EVERYTHING.
Can anyone tell me what it's called?

I can duplicate the letters pretty closely with Century 4-Line but the numbers - best I can do is use Clarendon 3 Line and condense it to 85% but it's not quite right. . .

In my version of Century 4-Line, the number 2 has a flat bottom, not the curvy one in the picture.

Anyway - thanks so much! ~Erica

Kev Williams
10-04-2016, 9:48 PM

What I used is a New Hermes engraving font, Craw Clarendon. It's not exact- top E serif is different, subtle differences in widths and shapes, but it would work as a substitute, most people wouldn't notice.

Problem is, it's not available as a "computer" font, at least as far as I know.

And actually, the one I used for this IS a true-type font, but it's a 'test' version, and as you can see, some of the lines are missing (among other problems)

So yours IS a Clarendon version, whether you can find one that works, good luck!

Joseph Shawa
10-04-2016, 10:52 PM
https://www.fontspring.com/matcherator?matcherator_img=lsdh2vke5nm7un4v7gao34 u38jnlnn9y#scroll_to_matches

Also from Reno : )

Erica Scorsonelli
10-05-2016, 9:07 AM
Thanks you guys!!!! Joseph - you're from Reno???? Where are you now? My shop is right behind the convention center at Kietzke and Peckham. Donald Trump is going to be at the convention center today-that should be a zoo!

Mark Sipes
10-05-2016, 2:11 PM
Erica what machine(s) are you running?

Erica Scorsonelli
10-05-2016, 2:29 PM
The jobs that are coming in were done on her rotary engraver - some burnished and some diamond dragged - so I will use my old Newing-Hall engraver.

Erica Scorsonelli
10-05-2016, 2:31 PM
FONTSPRING! Thanks! I ran it through WhatTheFont.com and it couldn't even isolate the letters.

Ross Moshinsky
10-05-2016, 2:40 PM
I'm going to give you a piece of advice. Whenever someone brings you work to "match" from a different shop say the following: "I'm going to try to get it close, but it's not going to be exact. Different machines have different fonts and I can't make any promises. If you want to match it up, I can re-do the job at a lower cost and that way everything will match up."

We used to "promise" close matches on $10 plates and we'd spend way too much time getting it right. It was a complete waste of time and energy. Now I say that to all my customers and they say "Okay, try your best". The ones that are particular and it's a newer award will often just let me do it over again. In some circumstances, I don't even tell the customer and I re-do their entire plate. Why? Because I can program and engrave the plate in 15 minutes compared to spending 30mins looking for the right font, testing to make sure the size is right, measuring to make sure the engraving will happen at just the right spot. Complete waste of time and energy.

Erica Scorsonelli
10-05-2016, 2:59 PM
I know, I know. It's not them - it's ME. I'm awful picky. Ordinarily I only promise "pretty close" but this particular font comes through my door EVERY DAY so my life would be easier if I just found it.

Kev Williams
10-05-2016, 3:25 PM
Yes to what Ross said... :)

The secret lies in your "comes through my door EVERY DAY" sentence: That being the case, find something close to the old and use it EVERY DAY :) --

Then in a few years someone else can try to figure out how to match YOURS ;)

Reminds me of a 29 x 17" brass wall plate I engraved for some club in town, I originally engraved it in 1996... 7 columns of names of club presidents and the year they served, starting in 1901. So I engraved 96 names and dates, then they'd bring it back every year to add a new name. Well, from 2011 thru 2014 they took the thing someplace else, and from the looks of it, not just one, but four different places. These engravings are barely in the ballpark, and all different from mine and each other. I got it last 2 years and just 2 days ago I put the 2017 name on it (which is why it reminds me :) )

The point is, to MY eye these oddball names stick out like sore thumb. But none of the 3 different guys who's brought me the plate since ever noticed those names were different, and as far as they know, no one else has noticed either.

We ARE our own worst critics! http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/yup.gif

Erica Scorsonelli
10-05-2016, 3:44 PM
We ARE our own worst critics! http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/yup.gif

That is FOR SURE. Oh don't you HATE it when someone takes a perpetual engraving somewhere else? I guess they know not what they do - before I was an engraver I would not have even thought it might be an issue.

Joseph Shawa
10-06-2016, 12:02 PM
I'm south by Manogue. I am a dentist, actually. So different type of cutting and engraving : )
Doing this as a hobby right now but seems like something to keep me busy as I shorten my days up.
How was the zoo yesterday?
What is your shop called. I'll stop by and introduce myself some day.