PDA

View Full Version : Finding Free Green Wood in Denver, CO?

Matt Schrum
10-04-2016, 5:21 PM
Long story short, I currently live in Tulsa, OK and I just received the last "okay" today to move to Denver, CO-- the wife and I are both nervous and excited, hopefully it won't take too long to get things sorted out and settle in.

Tulsa, OK has a free green waste dump for residents, which is where I get 95% of my wood. You can drop off limbs, stumps, etc. for free-- but more importantly, you can also bring along a chainsaw and take any wood others have left. This was a huge help, especially when just starting this hobby.

Does anyone know of a similar program in or around Denver, CO? I've searched the internet quite a bit and I am coming up short. I'm sure I'll still find wood, but I'm guessing I'll have to hoard it a bit more-- as here in Tulsa I've always known I can just go back next week and cut more if I need to.

Thanks for the help!

Adam Herman
10-04-2016, 5:44 PM
i don't know about the green wood, but you may get in contact with some of the tree companies.

I am in lafayette, about 20 miles north of downtown, 10 miles east of Boulder. where are you looking to settle?

Brice Rogers
10-04-2016, 5:48 PM
I suggest that you get in contact with a Denver wood turning club and ask that question.

I belong to a local woodworking club and one of the side benefits is that they harvest wood and make it available to members for a minor fee.

I suspect that a Denver club (Front Range Wood Turners, etc.) either do something similar or its members can tell you how they go about acquiring wood.

Woodcraft and Rockler have stores in Denver.

I would think that Denver would be a good place to get a number of hardwoods as well as conifers.

Matt Schrum
10-04-2016, 6:09 PM
...where are you looking to settle?

My job will be located in Littleton and my wife's in downtown Denver-- so we'll probably be a bit south of Denver is my guess. I do need to do some legwork and join a Denver area woodturning club and that'll help-- but there are a few other things on the same list that need to be crossed off first (lots of paperwork, find a realtor, transfer licenses/permits, etc.), so it might take a bit!

Olaf Vogel
10-04-2016, 10:00 PM
i don't know about the green wood, but you may get in contact with some of the tree companies.
I am in lafayette, about 20 miles north of downtown, 10 miles east of Boulder. where are you looking to settle?

Try the local arborists and utility companies.
In my city, the utility companies patrol the neighbourhood, looking for trees that are sick or interfering with the overhead lines.
Those get an orange dot spray painted on. Weeks/months later another crew comes by to cut the tree down.

In between, I staple gun on a sign for the crew saying, "please call me - I want the wood"

Usually they are happy to oblige. Because I have to haul the wood away for them - saves them the work. They even loaded the trailer a few times!
But you have to ensure you are available when called.

The only problem is that now various firms are buying and reselling the wood as Urban Salvage, by cutting them into wood slabs for yuppy tables.
Not a huge problem, because they mostly want the long, wide pieces. While I'm happy with the gnarly ones and crotch pieces.

Olaf

Matt Schrum
10-04-2016, 10:58 PM
In between, I staple gun on a sign for the crew saying, "please call me - I want the wood"

That's a great idea-- I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks!

Dan Jechura
10-05-2016, 10:03 AM
I have a brother that lives in Littleton Co. I'll ask if he knows anyone.