PDA

View Full Version : Screws: Spax vs others

Paul Prescott
10-02-2005, 12:12 PM
I've used a few Spax screws and love them - easy to drive even without a pilot hole.

Just wondering how they compare to McFeely's square drive screws, which look similar and people seem to like to use.

Any experience with both?

Bartee Lamar
10-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Love Spax. I am lucky I live in Atlanta and can go to Highland Hardware at lunch, so I can get every Spax know to man in large and small boxes.

I use a square drive screw from my ACE hardware store that is my utility screw. I keep a large quantity of 8's and 10's in a variety of lengths. These are great for anything like contruction or utiility work.

For my Kreg stuff, I get the Kreg brand in boxes of a 1000.

I tried to order stuff from McFeely's but the website said the had stuff they did not.

So, I order from LV for specialty stuff, go to HH for Spax and ACE for the utility stuff.

What we do without Square drive ???? People I show are amazed at what you can do with Square drive and a 14.4 V drill.

Bill Grumbine
10-02-2005, 1:31 PM
Hi Paul

I have used a fair amount of both Spax and screws from McFeely's. I think they are both good screws, but I sort of lean towards the McFeely screws. Spax has an advantage that they can be driven without drilling a pilot hole first, but the McFeely screws have deeper threads. I think that means more holding power, especially in sheet goods. And, especially in sheet goods, one needs to drill a pilot hole anyway, since the Spax will often stop short of sinking the head and strip out the hole. At least, that has been my experience.

Bill

Russ Massery
10-02-2005, 3:02 PM
I had the same problem Bill had I tried the when installing some cabinet the pushed the cabinet apart then when they bottomed out they stripped out the hole. I buy all my screws from Mcfeely's all Square drive.

John Longwitz
10-02-2005, 5:54 PM
...Spax work ok but seem to strip out easier than some coated combo Phillips/square drive type I got at Home Depot. I think they're called Deckmaster but don't have the box anymore. Work great with #2 square driver and have the self tapping point like Spax plus a real thick coating.