PDA

View Full Version : The Floating Credenza - Dovetails

Brian Holcombe
10-04-2016, 8:29 AM
My work continues on the floating credenzas, in this post I am cutting the major joinery which bring the cases together. I'm preparing the cherry case to for a show and so that case will be completed sooner than the walnut case. I begin this post working both at the same time, but the post ends will only the cherry case completed. The remainder of this series will focus on the cherry case.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/2016/10/04/the-floating-credenza-dovetails/

Cheers
Brian

James Pallas
10-04-2016, 8:45 AM
Nicely done Brian.
Jim

Brian Holcombe
10-04-2016, 8:47 AM
Thank you!

John Kananis
10-04-2016, 7:00 PM
Brian, that shooter setup you have on your bench is pretty cool. I assume the stop slips into dog holes on the bench but what about the auxiliary piece of timber that the plane rides on - is that a permanent fixture to your bench or do you bolt it on when needed? Am I seeing it correct?

Pat Barry
10-04-2016, 7:16 PM
My work continues on the floating credenzas, in this post I am cutting the major joinery which bring the cases together. I'm preparing the cherry case to for a show and so that case will be completed sooner than the walnut case. I begin this post working both at the same time, but the post ends will only the cherry case completed. The remainder of this series will focus on the cherry case.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/2016/10/04/the-floating-credenza-dovetails/

Cheers
Brian
I am continually amazed at the precision and attention to detail involved with your approach and the precision of the resulting joinery. I like the fact your half blind dovetails are sawed precisely to the baseline thereby invisible from the inside of the cabinet. I like the mitered dovetail corner but wonder why you chose to do this on the front but not along the entire edge of each joint. I take it you did want the joinery to show, just not from the front view. Likewise I am unclear why you wanted the tenons to show through the top and not make them hidden. I do appreciate your documentation of the work though. Thank you - its great learning to see these project develop.

Brian Holcombe
10-04-2016, 10:01 PM
Brian, that shooter setup you have on your bench is pretty cool. I assume the stop slips into dog holes on the bench but what about the auxiliary piece of timber that the plane rides on - is that a permanent fixture to your bench or do you bolt it on when needed? Am I seeing it correct?

Thanks John! Both pieces are removable, but basically permanent in that I don't remove them really for any reason.

I am continually amazed at the precision and attention to detail involved with your approach and the precision of the resulting joinery. I like the fact your half blind dovetails are sawed precisely to the baseline thereby invisible from the inside of the cabinet. I like the mitered dovetail corner but wonder why you chose to do this on the front but not along the entire edge of each joint. I take it you did want the joinery to show, just not from the front view. Likewise I am unclear why you wanted the tenons to show through the top and not make them hidden. I do appreciate your documentation of the work though. Thank you - its great learning to see these project develop.

Thanks Pat! Glad that you are enjoying of course, and thank for your questions! The reason for the mitered edge on the dovetails is to allow for the sliding door track to terminate into the miters allowing me to cut the tracks through and through without stopping. I do like the way that they look on this case more-so than plain through dovetails. Interesting that I've gotten a few requests (on another forum as well) to cut full blind dovetails, I may well do that on the next project so long as the client is on-board.

I decided to show through the tenons and have the dovetails show on this case because this piece is going (if it is accepted) into a show, and I wanted to show some of my work, so to speak. It should draw attention and if it does draw commissions they may or may not want that sort of feature.

Christopher Charles
10-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Hello Brian,

Looks great and your shooting rail on the backside of the bench is brilliant.

Can you tell us about the rag/cup you dip you mortise chisel into several times in your recent mortising video?

Good luck getting to the finish line!

Brian Holcombe
10-05-2016, 12:01 AM
Thank you! That is an official Stanley Covington style oil pot :D

Stewie Simpson
10-05-2016, 10:33 AM
Excellent skills Brian.

regards Stewie;

Brian Holcombe
10-05-2016, 11:02 AM
Thank you!

Zuye Zheng
10-05-2016, 11:22 AM
Amazing attention to detail (and beautiful dado plane)!

Brian Holcombe
10-05-2016, 12:59 PM
Thank you!

Jerry Olexa
10-05-2016, 8:33 PM
Much experience, patience and attention to detail shown here.....Exceptional results...Thank you.

Brian Holcombe
10-05-2016, 9:08 PM
Thank you!

Graham Haydon
10-06-2016, 5:56 AM
The site and the work look excellent. You scrub up pretty well too! I'm still amazed at the carpet in the shop :)

Derek Cohen
10-06-2016, 6:01 AM
Hi Brian

For some reason (?) I cannot access your blog. I've tried a few times over a couple of days. Any suggestion anyone?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Trevor Goodwin
10-06-2016, 6:46 AM
Working for me Derek. Try this: http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

Try deleting you cookies.

Brian Holcombe
10-06-2016, 8:20 AM
The site and the work look excellent. You scrub up pretty well too! I'm still amazed at the carpet in the shop :)

Thank you! Good to hear from you Graham, hope all is going well.

Hi Brian

For some reason (?) I cannot access your blog. I've tried a few times over a couple of days. Any suggestion anyone?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, first I've heard of this, anyone else having trouble?

Working for me Derek. Try this: http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

Try deleting you cookies.

Deleting cookies should help I would imagine. Thanks for posting that site.

Derek Cohen
10-06-2016, 8:53 AM
It's working now. Previously, I used your link directly, and it would not work. This time I opened the link in a new tab, and now it works. I am not sure what the difference is.

Anyway, excellent work! It's shaping up really well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Brian Holcombe
10-06-2016, 10:34 AM
Excellent, glad to hear it is working now. Technical issues are generally a bit beyond me, so I'm actually very glad to hear it is working :)

Thank you!

Cheers
Brian