PDA

View Full Version : DIY Oneida Cyclone Build

Travis Fatzinger
10-04-2016, 5:41 AM
My 2 HP Jet 1182 seems pretty underpowered to work with my machines that were all designed without dust collection in mind. I have to do something soon. The main problems are:
12" Crescent Jointer
18" Oliver Planer
14" Dual Blade Oliver Table saw.

Trying to keep the budget to a minimum as we are saving for a new house and shop. I will continue to be a hose dragger as hopefully I will be getting a new shop in a year or two and I don't want to setup rigid ductwork until then.

I have the opportunity to buy a Oneida C-650 cyclone for a good price locally.

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=SSX060000&CatId={AF788678-CC99-4A98-A11A-D46574885567}

So here is where I need some help:

Option 1:
Cannibalize the 1182 and use that 2HP motor with what I am assuming is a 11" Impeller. Easiest and cheapest option.

Option 2"
I realized I have a NIB 3HP Leeson American made motor I got for a project that I never did anything with.
What size, and which impeller should I get if I went with this option?

Bill Pentz mentions the 14" Jet for $106, that's a good deal but does anyone make a premade housing to couple it with? I realize I could make my own but time is rather short too.

Clearvue has the 15" & 16" Impellers and housings but the impellers are more then twice as much as the Jet.

So in short, what size impeller should I use for that cyclone, 11, 14, 15, or 16"
What would be the best hose to drag around. 5"?

Thanks a lot for any opinions. I realize this won't be as good as one of the $2000 cyclone but hopefully it will get me where I need to be for right now.

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or combine it with my old thread, mods please move if necessary.

Jim Becker
10-04-2016, 9:48 AM
My experience when I moved to larger machines helps me understand your situation for sure! Honestly, you need to keep in mind that adding the cyclone body will, in effect, slightly reduce performance of your current blower, so if you want to go the cyclone route (which I support), you're going to want to upsize your blower so you can move a lot more air and collect well from the machines you mention. The 3hp motor combined with one of the larger impellers is likely a good fit. Keep in mind that impeller design can affect performance, too, as can the housing. It sounds like the Clearvue solution meets your needs because it has a matched housing...and that also accounts for the cost difference.

As to hose, 6" is going to collect more, but 5" is a good compromise. My Euro designed machines all have 120mm ports which is "approximately" a similar area to a 5" hose/drop. Be sure to consider up-sizing the collection ports on your tools according to your hose plan. Having a larger hose plugged into a 4" port doesn't do you justice.

James Gunning
10-04-2016, 1:41 PM
Travis,

The jet 1100 series DC's have 11" impellers. That's too small an impeller to move a lot of air for a big duct system. However, for what you want as a temporary solution, putting the Jet blower on the Oneida cyclone should give you a good single hose system. Putting a bigger motor on the Jet blower wouldn't give you much more air flow than the 2HP motor it currently has. The air flow will be impeller limited. If you buy a 14" or 15" impeller, the 3HP motor would be a good fit, but then, according the Oneida, the cyclone might be a bit undersized. Down the road in your new shop, I would be tempted to try the Oneida cyclone with a bigger blower and the 3HP motor before I invested in anything else.

I would use at least 6" hose to hook up your machines if at all possible. The c-650 cyclone has a 6" inlet to begin with. Since it looks like you will have to fit some kind of pickups for dust collection to those big machines, start with 6". As Jim suggested, choking the pickups down to 4" will reduce the air flow well below what is possible with 6", well less than half the flow. Using 5" is a compromise, but better than 4". I found that 5" pipe and fittings were much more difficult to find.

Here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?230820-Yet-another-dust-collection-thread-Adapting-the-machines-to-use-6-quot-pipe&highlight= are some suggestions on adapting machines to 6" pickups.

Travis Fatzinger
10-04-2016, 9:13 PM
Jim, James,

Thanks for the replies. I realize that I will actually have less flow with the 1182 blower on the cyclone. That combined with the fact that I can sell the 1182 and put the money towards a new blower and not have a carcass of a dust collector sitting around seems like a good idea.

Are there any other options for impellers I should look at besides Jet and Clearvue?

Jim, seeing your location, have you ever visited Wynn Environmental to pick up a filter in person? I might be able to save some shipping money on that.

Jim Becker
10-05-2016, 10:46 AM
I've never bought anything from Wynn...both DCs I've owned have been from Oneida and they have OEM filters that work well for me. (The original, smaller cyclone is in a friend's shop for years now since I upgraded to the larger unit)

Travis Fatzinger
10-05-2016, 9:57 PM
Out of curiosity I checked the Grizzly parts store for the G0441 3HP 15.5" impeller. I was surprised it was only $90. However the housing came in at a pricey $571.

So right now I'm leaning towards my 3HP Leesson, 15 CV housing and impeller, and the Wynn Filters.

I'll post pictures once I get started. Feel free to speak up with any suggestions or reasons not to continue.

Thanks!

Andy Giddings
10-06-2016, 10:44 AM
Travis, I believe Wynn makes filters for quite a few of the DC manufacturers. I have one of their filters as a retrofit to my system and have been very impressed with the performance/price. Their top of the line filter media has a very high efficiency out of the box, unlike a lot of the cheaper media which requires a certain amount of use before becoming fully effective. Also worth noting that some of the filters supplied by the DC manufacturers have a relatively low filter media area compared to Wynn's off the shelf filters.

Wade Lippman
10-08-2016, 11:58 AM
My 2 HP Jet 1182 seems pretty underpowered to work with my machines that were all designed without dust collection in mind.

Sadly, nothing will work well with machines that aren't designed to work with dust collection.
Unless money is no object, I wouldn't try too hard to get it work; "sorta" will be the best you can do.

James Gunning
10-08-2016, 1:09 PM
Wade, why so pessimistic? There is certainly no plug and play solution for machines such as Travis has, but even those can be modded to work. It will take a bit of back yard engineering, but virtually any machine can be fitted with a shroud/internal baffles that will collect dust. A combination of internal shrouding made from simple materials like plywood, hardboard or sheet metal routed to a duct will get the bulk of the dust. The home brewed shrouds may not get all the dust, but even modern machines with factory shrouds don't get all of it.

Travis Fatzinger
10-08-2016, 7:07 PM
Well thanks for all the input but I went to pick up the cyclone today and it didn't go so well. I'm not sure what that cyclone was. It might have been C-650 at one point but if so someone cut the bottom 6" off and put a flange on it. I'm not really sure but I was already afraid the 650 was too small so I left it there.

So back to the drawing board. On the plus side, I learned a LOT about cyclones this week.

I'll start debating the pros and cons (like everyone else) of the

Oneida V-3000
Clearvue
Tempest 3.5hp

James Gunning
10-09-2016, 4:42 PM
If you are going to spend the money for a complete blower and cyclone, go straight to Clearvue. Their design is the optimum available for the money, and it checks all the boxes for best performance. Plus, it would be fun to watch the stuff swirling around the clear cyclone.