PDA

View Full Version : Kinetic Sculptures - have you ever gave it a go?

Minh Tran
10-04-2016, 2:09 AM
I just came across the works of Derek Hugger and David Roy today. They're amazing, beautiful and so inspiring!

Have you folks ever built something of the sort? Do you know of other kinetic sculptors?

Here are some that I know of:

Theo Jansen: Wind-powered wooden beasts
Reuben Margolin: Marionetted planar surfaces set into matrices
Derek Hugger: Abstract, skeleton-watch/gear-driven sculptures
David Roy: Abstract, gear-driven sculptures

Worth a watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxdcj2tLQGE

:rolleyes:

Michael Weber
10-04-2016, 9:04 AM
LOL, now I have eye strain from watching that. Pretty creative and unique and I admire both of those qualities. Too much movement though to live with for very long. I don't see it as the same as watching a camp fire

Erik Loza
10-04-2016, 9:34 AM
My wife and I were just in San Francisco and Theo Jansen has an exhibit going at the Exploratorium with a number of his "Strand Beasts". Basically, PVC and zip ties. You can push one around. They are crazy. Wouldn't even know how to go about imagining a build for something like that but it's definitely worth seeing in person if you have the chance.

Erik

Roger Nair
10-04-2016, 10:21 AM
For me repeating motion of clock work sculpture has a limited appeal but I could live with a large mobile in the manner of Alexander Calder, graceful balanced and moving on wafts of air.

Bruce Page
10-04-2016, 12:45 PM
I enjoyed the video. Does he sell any plans?

Mel Fulks
10-04-2016, 3:18 PM
Enjoyed seeing that. They are evocative as well as interesting ,one of the first seen reminded me so much of seagulls that I imediately put my hat on in the house.

Michael Weber
10-04-2016, 4:21 PM
Enjoyed seeing that. They are evocative as well as interesting ,one of the first seen reminded me so much of seagulls that I imediately put my hat on in the house.
:D:D Too funny

Steve Peterson
10-04-2016, 8:59 PM
I enjoyed the video. Does he sell any plans?

David Roy's web site appears to only list completed sculptures at prices between $1800 and $3700.

Dereck Hugger's web site has plans for sale. Prices are between $20 and $100.

You can purchase kits for Theo Jansen's strandbeast. You might be able to reverse engineer a set of plans from it.

Building a kinetic sculpture is an item on my bucket list, but there are a lot of other things getting in the way of making any progress.

Steve

Bruce Page
10-04-2016, 9:20 PM
David Roy's web site appears to only list completed sculptures at prices between $1800 and $3700.

Dereck Hugger's web site has plans for sale. Prices are between $20 and $100.

You can purchase kits for Theo Jansen's strandbeast. You might be able to reverse engineer a set of plans from it.

Building a kinetic sculpture is an item on my bucket list, but there are a lot of other things getting in the way of making any progress.

Steve
Thanks, I'll check out Dereck's site. Ideally I'd like to find cad drawings that I could convert and run on my cnc.

Frederick Skelly
10-04-2016, 9:32 PM
I enjoyed that. Thanks for posting!