PDA

View Full Version : Great Stuff spray insulation : Which one ???

Clarence Martin
10-03-2016, 11:44 PM
Had to remove an old 1920's Cast Iron Radiator that was under the Kitchen Sink years ago , when we remodeled the Kitchen. Well, when they cut off the pipe to the Radiator, they just put the kitchen cabinets over it WITHOUT sealing the pipe up. I found that out when I went in the basement yesterday, and noticed the cut off section of pipe still there under where the radiator would have been right above it. The damp, musty smell from the Basement is sucking right through that pipe and stinking up the inside of the lower Kitchen Cabinets !!! Got 2 different cans of that Great Stuff spray foam insulation sealant .

Now, can someone tell me which one would be best to use ? The BIG GAP version or Orange bottle that says for gaps and cracks ?? Just want to spray that stuff into that old pipe to seal it up and to seal a few cracks that the Insulation contractor missed that I noticed yesterday. I would remove the pipe they left hanging, but it is stuck on something and I don't want to tear into the Kitchen Cabinets to get that little piece out

Thanks,

Clarence

Davis Young
10-04-2016, 3:28 AM
Gaps & Cracks for up to 1" and Big Gap Filler for up to 3". http://greatstuff.dow.com/product/index.htm It's probably better to cap the pipe. The spray foam works for the area outside the pipe where it penetrates through a hole.