PDA

View Full Version : Leftover PVC Sheet Material - Any Uses?

John Towns
10-03-2016, 12:01 PM
This summer I completed a project that included replacing the rotten MDF exterior siding on my bay windows. I used sheets of PVC and cut them down to fit my need. It was basically a frame and panel look around the bay windows. It turned out very well and we are very pleased with the result.

I have several pieces pf PVC left over and since it was so easy to work (cut and shape) with my woodworking tools I was wondering if there might be other uses for these scraps for small projects, jigs, patterns, or others things like this.

I am reluctant to just throw it out, so I would appreciate your thoughts if there was any utility with this material...or should I just put it in the trash.

thanks,
John

John K Jordan
10-03-2016, 2:11 PM
...sheets of PVC...I am reluctant to just throw it out, so I would appreciate your thoughts if there was any utility with this material...or should I just put it in the trash.

If I lived close I'd come and get it out of your trash! You didn't say how thick it is but it is good for jigs and things like you mentioned, brackets where a lot of strength is not required, vertical dividers or small shelves, templates, repairs, containers for liquids, enclosures for electronics, flat workbench protector for small glue-ups, dust collector hoods, ... You can heat and bend it. A zillion uses around the farm and shop. If nothing else, I take excess materials of all kinds to the art classes at the local high school.

JKJ

Art Mann
10-03-2016, 5:38 PM
This material is excellent for creating CNC routed signs if you take into account it's limitations. I have made quite a few.

John Towns
10-06-2016, 7:10 AM
Thanks for some ideas I had not thought of.

John

Frederick Skelly
10-06-2016, 7:59 AM
If I lived close I'd come and get it out of your trash! You didn't say how thick it is but it is good for jigs and things like you mentioned, brackets where a lot of strength is not required, vertical dividers or small shelves, templates, repairs, containers for liquids, enclosures for electronics, flat workbench protector for small glue-ups, dust collector hoods, ... You can heat and bend it. A zillion uses around the farm and shop.
JKJ

+1. Never. Ever. EV-er. Throw. Away. Scraps! :D:D:D

pat warner
10-06-2016, 9:34 AM
It is not flat nor of uniform thickness unless machined.
So I use it for non-precision applications.
Holds hardware well, easy to machine and drill, not cheap.
But maybe for substrate where flatness is not an issue.