PDA

View Full Version : Can't disassemble Hitachi router

Tom Andersen
10-02-2005, 4:40 AM
Hi Guys,

I have got a very nice, used router for 1/2" router bits. It doesn't have a manufacturer name on it but my guess is that it's a Hitachi, it looks a lot like the M12. Unfortunately the switch is broken, so I have to take it apart to repair it. I took away the base part and then the four screws on the bottom, I can't find any other screws to undo. I suspected that I would be able to pull the blue plastic part away from the lower metal part but I simply can't get it loose. It's driving me nuts, I have spent so much time pulling in the d... thing. I attach photos. Any advice?

Regards from Sweden

Tom

Vaughn McMillan
10-02-2005, 5:10 AM
Tom, although I'm not sure I have an answer for your question, I wanted to welcome you to the Creek. We can always use more European representation here.

Regarding your router, have you tried tapping the metal base lightly with a small hammer to try to separate it from the upper plastic part? I've seen some assemblies that were very tight, and they needed a little persuasion. That's about the only suggestion I can think of...chances are someone here will have other ideas for you.

Again, welcome -

- Vaughn

John Bailey
10-02-2005, 6:48 AM
Don't have an answer, as I usually bang on stuff like that and damage it. However, I would like to welcome you to the "Creek." It's a great place that will become even better with a diverse membership.

John

Larry Reimer
10-02-2005, 7:25 AM
I'm with Vaughn. Looks like you've taken out the threaded fasteners that hold the plastic case, it just needs a little persuasion. You might try a bit of penetrating oil or "Creeper Lube" in that joint between the base and the plastic.

Ian Barley
10-02-2005, 7:39 AM
Have you removed screws from the top of the plastic casing? Could be a post running through from the base. And - welcome to the creek. Its good to see the international representation increase again.

Jim Hager
10-02-2005, 8:26 AM
Hey Tom, welcome to the creek. Fine place to hang out from time to time. Your router is a good one and believe it or not it is a Ryobi or one of it's knockoffs. We have one just like that at the school where I teach and it has been a dandy. I know it will be in the neighborhood of 18-19 years old and it still gets use from time to time. I have it's younger brother on my router table at home. Later on after your router they added variable speed which made for a very good table router for the day and time.

As to how to get into it, I don't know. I'm kinda like the others, you may need to whack it a little. A bit of gentle persuasion would likely be in order. I do know that if you loose the little brass button that locks the housing to the tubes of the base you will have trouble finding one to fit it. Good luck on your repair.

Steve Wargo
10-02-2005, 9:30 AM
Could be sealed with a soft adhesive like many of todays electroncs. You may want to try heating it up with a hair dryer to see if you can soften the joint and remove it. Mus the same way you attach/remove blades to hockey sticks. Welcome to the creek.

David LaRue
10-02-2005, 9:33 AM
I would take off the black brush caps for grins. They may be holding up the works. Worse cas you can take a peek inside. Also sometimes there are tabs that join the plasic to the metal. You may need to gently pry the plastic away from the base then remove it.

Best of luck!

Peter Stahl
10-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Hi Guys,

I have got a very nice, used router for 1/2" router bits. It doesn't have a manufacturer name on it but my guess is that it's a Hitachi, it looks a lot like the M12. Unfortunately the switch is broken, so I have to take it apart to repair it. I took away the base part and then the four screws on the bottom, I can't find any other screws to undo. I suspected that I would be able to pull the blue plastic part away from the lower metal part but I simply can't get it loose. It's driving me nuts, I have spent so much time pulling in the d... thing. I attach photos. Any advice?

Regards from Sweden

Tom

Check this site out ( http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-bin/schematic.cgi/hitachi/M12V ), it'll give you a parts breakdown like the drawings you get in a manual.

Tom Andersen
10-02-2005, 4:04 PM
Thanks for the help! I followed the advice to use heat. I put the whole router in a kitchen oven for 20 mins and I managed to take it apart afterwards. It worked!

Vaughn McMillan
10-02-2005, 4:33 PM
Tonight's Menu:

Baked Swedish Router, served on a bed of fresh wood shavings, with a side order of warm brushes. :)

- Vaughn