PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
10-03-2016, 7:25 AM
3 Oct 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
Working oncall and still working oncall. While waiting on some critical processes, I thought I'd get this off to a start for the rest of you. :)
Been working on the Phase 3 of the bowling alley project and should be done with it by Wednesday of this week....I hope.
Spent some time with family this weekend and I'm trying to teach myself about running digital sound software and new sound equipment for our church. I'll get around to the install of the new equipment once I get a hold of how all this stuff works. :)

That's it for me....other than going to the doc today about my left shoulder...been in a lot of pain for the past 9 months with it and just now getting a referral to see a doc that can tell me all about it.

So what did YOU do this past weekend?
Best of weeks to you all.!!

Frederick Skelly
10-03-2016, 7:50 AM
Took the first baby steps toward learning to use my new to me wood lathe. Sharpened the tools, cut 3 spindles, made a handle for a large file, beefed up the so-called box the lathe tools came in. (Top and bottom were done in 1/16" plywood. Never personally seen plywood that thin before.) Good weekend.

Have a good week folks!
Fred

Jim Becker
10-03-2016, 10:38 AM
This weekend was more of the bathroom renovation project...I finished the carpentry, re-insulation and electrical and got prepared for the plumbing rough-out for the shower. And yea...old houses are interesting...that shower pan is level. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Bath%20Renovation/IMG_8426_zpsykf0gmf2.jpg

Garth Almgren
10-03-2016, 11:27 AM
A fellow "church sound" guy! That's what I was doing this Sunday morning. At my church we're nearing the end of a large remodeling/expansion project, and we dedicated this beautiful and huge woodcarving that used to hang in the commons at Trinity Lutheran College (recently closed):
I think it is roughly 15' wide and 6' high!

Saturday my dad and I finished putting up tar paper on my office shed project, installed flashing, windows, and more flashing. Also, one piece of corner trim.

Sunday after church my wife, daughter, and I went to see Ms. Peregrine, after which I chiseled the mortises for the office's door hinges. I just need to trim a little off the bottom of the door and install the sweep, and then I'll be ready to install the door and frame. I would have gotten it installed last night but I ran out of daylight. :D
345077 345078

The windows and door all came from the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. I highly recommend that place if you're looking for recycled materials for a project!

Wayne Lomman
10-03-2016, 6:24 PM
No woodwork, just moving my workshop to another shed - better for me and better for the livestock who get more undercover area out of the endless rain. Another 225mm these last 4 days. Back to work in Adelaide on Wednesday for the next 21 days stint. Cheers

Bill Adamsen
10-04-2016, 11:08 AM
Finished the outfeed table and shelf for the shaper fence. The outfeed is a torsion box I glued up and ran through the drum sander, then covered with 1/4" baltic birch (vacuum bagged) and black plastic laminate, trimmed to size. Used destaco type clamps to clamp down to the table. Getting the shaper fence off the floor feels like a big step forward.

Dick Brown
10-04-2016, 2:15 PM
Went yard sale hopping Friday and picked up an old Craftsman 113. Flex drive table saw that has been outside for a few years for $25. It has the open cast wings which a lot of folks seem to like. Also an HTC mobile base and Crapsman fence. Unloaded it, plugged it in and surprise, it runs like a top! Pulled the "Speedometer" cable out and no bad spots so lubed it, put it back in. Cleaned the top (3 hours) waxed it, cleaned the rest of the saw and painted. Sanded the fence rails, waxed them, adjusted everything, and the fence works much better than I expected. Should make someone a good little hobby saw.
Dick

Greg Hines, MD
10-04-2016, 2:50 PM
My woodworking this weekend was limited to cutting up a trailer full of firewood.

Doc

mark mcfarlane
10-05-2016, 5:44 AM
Bill, Is the torsion box made from 2*4s?

Also, nice floor. Loose many screws in the slats?

Jim Becker
10-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Finished the outfeed table and shelf for the shaper fence.
Bill, I'm really liking that outfeed setup! Should I even decide to de-couple my "poor man's shaper" from my slider, I may do something similar to your setup as the OEM table for that area is a bit short to catch longer rips.

Bill Adamsen
10-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Bill, Is the torsion box made from 2*4s? Also, nice floor. Loose many screws in the slats?

The torsion box is White pine 1/2" thick on the inside and 7/8" (unmilled) for the perimeter. Trimmed to size (on the slider) once the faces and laminate had been applied. Cutting dadoes might have been going overboard. I suspect the closeup makes it look more substantial than it is.

The floor is 2-3/4" thick tongue and groove Hemlock, which is readily available in these parts cheap as scaffolding. I air dried the Hemlock for a year, but clearly that wasn't enough. Remarkably I have not lost anything in the cracks except sawdust (knock on wood). Last night as I disassembled a finish nailer for gasket replacement a washer rolled to the floor and you can bet I turned my head to watch it carefully. (Remarkably it did not go into a crack). Were I to do the floor again - like virtually everything else I've done - it would be done differently. I'd use 1x8 White Pine to give the ceiling appearance, covered by 1-1/8" T&G Plywood, and then finish with a T&G hardwood. That would give about the same loading for the span and provide a flatter and more uniform surface - though at about 5X the cost. I like the appearance and feel of the Hemlock.

mark mcfarlane
10-06-2016, 6:15 AM
The floor is 2-3/4" thick tongue and groove Hemlock, which is readily available in these parts cheap as scaffolding....

The Hemlock looks great.