PDA

View Full Version : Gatlinburg/ Pigeon Forge nice place to stay.

Dave Lehnert
10-02-2016, 12:17 PM
May have a free weekend to take a trip to Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge soon

Looking for a nice CLEAN place to stay for two.
A cabin is most likely more than I want to spend.

Keith Outten
10-02-2016, 3:12 PM
Dave,

I have been to Gatlinburg twice, its a beautiful place. Make sure that you find the time to take a short trip to Cherokee North Carolina while your in the area. Its just a few miles and an enjoyable drive.

Rich Riddle
10-02-2016, 3:39 PM
Dave,

I go there frequently and find cabins at about the $100 a night range. What is your budget?

Dave Lehnert
10-02-2016, 6:54 PM
Dave,

I go there frequently and find cabins at about the $100 a night range. What is your budget?

Where did you find that kind of rate? Everything I looked at on line was $300-$400 a night.

Dave Lehnert
10-02-2016, 7:06 PM
Dave,

I have been to Gatlinburg twice, its a beautiful place. Make sure that you find the time to take a short trip to Cherokee North Carolina while your in the area. Its just a few miles and an enjoyable drive.

Yes. Cherokee North Carolina is a place we plan to go. Been 9 or 10 years since we have been there.

Matt Meiser
10-02-2016, 8:13 PM
We stayed in a cabin up above the strip in PF 2 Easters ago and it was pretty reasonable. Found it on VBRO.com. We did another VBRO rental last summer in Virginia. Both were as nice or even better than we expected based on the owner descriptions and reviews.

daryl moses
10-02-2016, 8:56 PM
I only live about 1 1/2 hours from there. Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg at one time were my favorite destinations for weekend getaways. Too crowded for me now though lol. Motel rooms used to be a little cheaper in Pigeon Forge vs Gatlinburg, not sure about that now though.
There is a lot to see and do in either location. If your lucky you might even see Dolly!
My favorite place in the park is Cades Cove, check it out if you have the time.

Ronald Blue
10-02-2016, 10:10 PM
Definitely what Matt said about VRBO. That's a great way to get great accommodations that are reasonable. Last time I was in that area was 2012. Wasn't bad during the week but the weekend was crowded. The drive to Cherokee is well worth it. I prefer Branson Missouri over that area any more. It's all what a person likes and is convenient for them. Heading into Up state New York, Vermont and New Hampshire tomorrow from the Cleveland area.

John K Jordan
10-02-2016, 10:25 PM
Dave,

When are you traveling? I live an hour.5 away so I have never needed to rent accommodations and can't recommend, but I just wanted to let you know that if you are driving you are welcome to stop and visit my farm and shop. I mostly do woodturning but some flat wood and metal work. Bringing kids or not, you can take a llama for a walk, feed the peacocks, etc! I am just a few miles off I-75 north of Knoxville.

Also, if you are interested in visiting a wood dealer not far from Pigeon Forge (maybe 20 minutes) you might check out Jefferies Wood Works - they have a huge inventory from big lumber to small turning blanks, domestic and exotic.

JKJ

Brent Cutshall
10-03-2016, 6:33 AM
I know what! You could come and stay with me!:D I'm close to that place. You could bring your tools and I could show you mine, I could show you my dog that died yesterday, and we could both visit Drew Langsner at the end of my street:p! But anyway I don't know much about Gatlinburg except Bass Pro Shops and the Smokey Mountain Knife Works.

Dave Lehnert
10-03-2016, 7:55 PM
We stayed in a cabin up above the strip in PF 2 Easters ago and it was pretty reasonable. Found it on VBRO.com. We did another VBRO rental last summer in Virginia. Both were as nice or even better than we expected based on the owner descriptions and reviews.

I will have a look at VBRO.com
My guess rates are high because it is the middle of Oct??????
Last night I was looking at room rates at regular chain hotels. Just a basic room was running $200 a night.

Dave Lehnert
10-03-2016, 8:02 PM
Dave,

When are you traveling? I live an hour.5 away so I have never needed to rent accommodations and can't recommend, but I just wanted to let you know that if you are driving you are welcome to stop and visit my farm and shop. I mostly do woodturning but some flat wood and metal work. Bringing kids or not, you can take a llama for a walk, feed the peacocks, etc! I am just a few miles off I-75 north of Knoxville.

Also, if you are interested in visiting a wood dealer not far from Pigeon Forge (maybe 20 minutes) you might check out Jefferies Wood Works - they have a huge inventory from big lumber to small turning blanks, domestic and exotic.

JKJ

Thanks for the offer.
I will most likely be driving over night through your area. Going to try and wedge this trip into a long weekend.

Since you are from the area. Know of a town close to Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge that has hotels that may be cheaper?
The kinda place where the locals know where to go?

John K Jordan
10-04-2016, 6:26 AM
Thanks for the offer.
I will most likely be driving over night through your area. Going to try and wedge this trip into a long weekend.
Since you are from the area. Know of a town close to Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge that has hotels that may be cheaper?
The kinda place where the locals know where to go?

I've never had the occasion to rent a hotel locally. We haven't even researched it for out-of-town guests since they usually stay at our place. Rooms/cabins in and near the mountains are pretty pricy, especially this time of year, but a whole lot cheaper if you are willing to sleep up the road a bit.

My wife is the expert on this - she does all our travel arrangements, domestic and foreign, better than any travel agent. She knows the magic of getting good rooms at good rates. I've been on the road before and needed to stop and in 15 minutes she had a good room booked on the route. I can ask her later when she is up and has had coffee!

- Which nights do you need rooms?
- How far away from Pigeon Forge are you willing to stay? 20 minutes? 30 minutes?

You can send a PM if you like.

JKJ

Kurt Kintner
10-04-2016, 10:36 AM
VRBO is a great way to go..... We use them all over the country .... Out West, we can rent a 3 bedroom house cheaper than a hotel ....

Von Bickley
10-04-2016, 11:31 PM
The last 2 times that we went to Pigeon Forge, we stayed at the Shular Inn. We stayed in the rear building and enjoyed our stay.
My BIL and his wife always stay at James Manor that is across the street from the Shular Inn and they like it.

http://www.shularinn.com/
http://jamesmanor.com/