PDA

View Full Version : Work Holding - Thin Panels for Smoothing?

Jason Lester
10-02-2016, 10:57 AM
I was working yesterday on tuning up my band saw in preparation for some frame and panel stuff I'll be building soon. I don't have a belt or drum sander and the panels are right on the edge of what is safe to send through my planer. I decided to try leveling them with my freshly sharpened Veritas #4. It worked well, except for actually holding it solid. I tried clamping it in between a dog and my end vise. The panel was so thin (1/4") though, it was tough to get a grip on it. If I tightened it too much, it would flex up in a slight curve.

What's the proper way to hold a thin panel for planing? I thought about a batten clamped across the bench, but it would have to be thinner than the panel.

Nicholas Lawrence
10-02-2016, 11:32 AM
I don't know if it is the "proper" way, but your idea of using a thin piece of stock as a stop is what I do. If I need to thin a strip of something (like a batten to use for a stop), I sometimes clamp one end, and plane away from the clamp with a block plane, then flip it around and even up the end I had clamped, or you can just cut it off if your piece is long enough.

glenn bradley
10-02-2016, 11:58 AM
I came up with these:

345031 . 345030

345033 . 345032

345035 . 345034

John Crawford
10-02-2016, 11:58 AM
Thin stop + doublestick tape! (That's how they did it in the 17th century, according to my sources. :))

Glenn: I love the screw-in-the-bench-dog idea; somehow I never want to put a screw right in my benchtop, and this is a nice work around.

Chris Fournier
10-02-2016, 12:30 PM
Double dog rows in my bench and the tail vise allow me to work panels as you describe with no trouble. If you don't have a second row of dogs simply clamp a , 1/4" batten across your bench to trap the panel between the tail vise and the batten.

john zulu
10-02-2016, 12:44 PM
If you have the time and space create a jig. I did not.... I used double sided tape and release it with alcohol.

Reinis Kanders
10-02-2016, 1:11 PM
I use a scrap of 3/16 or so plywood they sell as underlayment in Home Depot. Usually I just but the scrap against something, sometimes I clamp it down. Never have had a need for a tape, but I do not do this often. Panel does not have to be that precise anyways as long as the edges fit in the groove.

Derek Cohen
10-02-2016, 1:58 PM
I was working yesterday on tuning up my band saw in preparation for some frame and panel stuff I'll be building soon. I don't have a belt or drum sander and the panels are right on the edge of what is safe to send through my planer. I decided to try leveling them with my freshly sharpened Veritas #4. It worked well, except for actually holding it solid. I tried clamping it in between a dog and my end vise. The panel was so thin (1/4") though, it was tough to get a grip on it. If I tightened it too much, it would flex up in a slight curve.

What's the proper way to hold a thin panel for planing? I thought about a batten clamped across the bench, but it would have to be thinner than the panel.

If you are just smoothing it down, place the panel on something non-slip, or use clamps at the near end. Then work with scrapers.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/LingerieChest2_html_762383b6.jpg

This 1/4" thick panel was heavy enough to stay put.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jason Lester
10-02-2016, 2:22 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm getting ready to make some new dogs and may have to try the screw idea!

Prashun Patel
10-02-2016, 3:33 PM
I dislike planing INTO a stop when stock is thin. I prefer to clamp one end or one side, and plane away from the clamp. There's usually a way to do it so you never have to go against the grain.

paul cottingham
10-02-2016, 11:21 PM
I plane thin stock against a planing stop. Mine is about 1/4" thick screwed to a thick block I clamp in my vice. I rarely find I need to plane stock thinner than my stop. If I did, I suspect I would just make a thinner one, but I doubt you could make one thinner than 3/16", and have it be strong enough.

Chuck Hart
10-03-2016, 1:20 AM
Make a couple of doe's toe's or deer toe's and clamp them to opposing corners. Use material the same or lessor thickness of the piece you are trying to smooth.

Chuck Hart
10-03-2016, 1:35 AM
There called doe's feet sorry here is a link to Schwarz: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/modern-high-traction-foot

Allen Jordan
10-03-2016, 2:44 AM
There called doe's feet sorry here is a link to Schwarz: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/modern-high-traction-foot

First I've heard of those, I'll have to make some.

Phil Mueller
10-03-2016, 7:55 AM
Nice idea Glenn. Thanks!

Warren Mickley
10-03-2016, 8:56 AM
For planing panels I plane against a two inch wide bench stop, which is mortised into the bench. The stop can be adjusted to protrude a little less than the thickness of the panel. There is no need for a holding device at the other end of the panel.

The largest 1/4 inch panel I recall planing in this manner was 14 X 21. In traditional work, however, we would rarely make a large panel this thin. Eighteenth century frame and panel is typically 7/8 or so for the framing, with a 5/16 groove for the panel. And a flat panel is typically slightly chamfered on the back side (to fit into the groove), so that the thickness is closer to 7/16 or 1/2.

For very thin stuff, less than 1/8, we sometimes clamp the piece and plane away from the clamp. This technique is inappropriate for a panel because you can't take full planing strokes in one direction so visual quality is compromised.

Jason Lester
10-03-2016, 6:17 PM

I remember seeing those on his blog, but completely forgot about it.

Jason

John Schtrumpf
10-04-2016, 2:52 AM
I clamp down the ends of an aluminum framing square and use it as a planning stop.

PS. I find an Empire framing square to be sufficient for this, and see no advantage to using a Starrett or Woodpecker framing square. :)

Mike Allen1010
10-04-2016, 2:24 PM
I came up with these:

345031 . 345030

345033 . 345032

345035 . 345034

Glenn, that is a fantastic idea! I'm totally putting screws in a set of bench dogs today – thanks for sharing!
Best, Mike