PDA

View Full Version : Are radial arm saws worth anything these days?

Michael Yadfar
10-01-2016, 5:36 PM
My uncle has a Dewalt Powershop radial arm saw he's selling. He offered it to me for free, but I didn't want it. He's had for sale on Craiglist for months, and it's only $100.

Something that came to mind is if radial arm saws are even worth anything at all. They take up so much space, and sliding miter saws do just about everything a radial arm saw does except the ripping function and dado blades, and works a lot better in my opinion. I used a RAS when I was in high school, and never really liked it. That thing was a mean machine, and for some reason that thing always lunged forward on me. Anyway... I guess it's really not a tool of the modern day workshop

Justin Ludwig
10-01-2016, 5:44 PM
I use my OMGA everyday. As for value... it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Mike Henderson
10-01-2016, 6:37 PM
To a large degree, they've fallen out of favor for the reasons you mentioned.

Mike

Rich Riddle
10-01-2016, 6:48 PM
The people who love them seem to truly love them. That said, they don't command a lot of money as a whole.

John TenEyck
10-01-2016, 6:50 PM
They climb towards you for a couple of reasons, but mostly because people put the wrong type of blade on them. With a quality blade designed for it, a RAS is a versatile, accurate, and easy to use machine. I use mine most every day, and would not want to be w/o it.

John

glenn bradley
10-01-2016, 7:02 PM
Them's fightin' words son! I have no need for one but, those who love them, really love them.

Bruce Page
10-01-2016, 7:13 PM
I would have a DeWalt MBF or an OMGA if I had a large shop.

Dennis Hawkins
10-01-2016, 7:20 PM
I own one 10" 1hp unit and one 9" 1/2 hp and would not part with either. Total cost for both was under $300.00. I walk up to my 10" with total confidence in cross-cutting accurately.
I suspect a modern compound miter saw would be a better choice for many but those old Dewalts go cheap. I have a thing for old vintage quality tools though.

John K Jordan
10-01-2016, 9:25 PM
I agree, not much interest in them now.

I wish I had room in the shop for mine, a 45 year old 10" Craftsman. It will do a variety of things, like drill holes horizontally in the end of a 16' post. I used it often as a drum sander, cut a zillion dados and a made a bunch of picture frame molding from shelving pine. One nice thing is either with crosscuts or ripping you can see the cut in progress. It is in fact not a good tool for the absent minded or accident prone. (BTW, always push, never pull)

It also made a nice work table for small assembly.

But I don't have enough room and have other tools now that will do everything except precision end drilling. My RAS is for sale - I'll take a nickle. Will run on 110/220. I'll even throw in the excellent custom stand with a shelf and a drawer. :-)

JKJ

Greg Peterson
10-01-2016, 9:46 PM
I had a Dewalt MBF. I found it very under powered, dust collection virtually impossible to implement and took up far more room than it deserved.
SCMS is a better option, IMO.

Bruce Wrenn
10-01-2016, 9:57 PM
Try cutting gable vent louver parts on a SCM.

Wayne Lomman
10-01-2016, 11:43 PM
I use one regularly for docking timber ready for machining. It's a 12" 5 horse DeWalt. The most important thing is the correct blade. Negative raked blades are a must - cures most of the complaints above. All the bad stories about grabbing etc are as a result of incorrect blades in my experience. Compound sliders are ok for building sites but they are not an industrial machine unless you spend a lot on a non portable one. They had one in one of the shops I worked in and it was a dream to use. Cheers

Nick Stokes
10-01-2016, 11:57 PM
My uncle has a Dewalt Powershop radial arm saw he's selling. He offered it to me for free, but I didn't want it. He's had for sale on Craiglist for months, and it's only $100.

Something that came to mind is if radial arm saws are even worth anything at all. They take up so much space, and sliding miter saws do just about everything a radial arm saw does except the ripping function and dado blades, and works a lot better in my opinion. I used a RAS when I was in high school, and never really liked it. That thing was a mean machine, and for some reason that thing always lunged forward on me. Anyway... I guess it's really not a tool of the modern day workshop

You answered your own question... You dont want it, even for free. And no one on craigslist wants it, even for only $100...

Adam Herman
10-02-2016, 12:42 AM
can not be beat in a production Enviroment. I think we had about 3 of the 10 in units in the door shop and one in the warehouse for cutting moulding to length. We even used it to trim narrow doors to height! I would love to have one if I had the space, A nice big 12 in unit would be grand. SCMS just does not do a good arm saw justice.

Kurt Kintner
10-02-2016, 8:26 AM
I have a 30 year old 10 inch Craftsman RAS I use almost every day.... It sits next to my DeWalt 12 inch mitersaw that I hardly ever use ....

Robert Engel
10-02-2016, 8:42 AM
Sliding miter saws have rendered them obsolete mostly due to safety and portability. Also, a Xcut sled can do most things an RAS does more safely.

The problem is typical saw (CM, Ridgid, etc) is 1) woefully underpowered 2) horrible at keeping settings and 3) cheaply built. I have a Ridgid which I use and I scratch my head everytime I read of someone who loves these saws because all you have to do is tap them and you're recalibrating the saw.

The old iron Dewalt/AMF saws are great if you can find one but the problem with them will be 40-60 year old motors.

Other than that, any modern RAS worth its salt is far too expensive to warrant in a hobby shop.

Gregory King
10-02-2016, 8:46 AM
Have a 10" Craftsman that I bought new in 1978 when we built our home. Added an extension table for it and cut all of the framing for the house. Put it up for sale once and wife asked why I was selling it. Could not answer the question, so now I keep it in the garage out of the way. I use it mostly for dadoes on 4" x4" deck posts for the occasional deck job. Worth more to me than what someone would pay for it. My two grandson's may enjoy it anyway.

Jim Becker
10-02-2016, 9:45 AM
I would have a DeWalt MBF or an OMGA if I had a large shop.

I feel the same way...if I had a larger shop and could acquire one of the "really good ones", then I can think of a number of operations that would be convenient to feed to that saw. But for the pile of mass-produced, mediocre RAS out there...no way would I be interested.

jack duren
10-02-2016, 11:07 AM
You can buy 12" Delta RAS for $75-$200 all day on many Craigslist. There accurate....

Jon Grider
10-02-2016, 12:16 PM
My 1030 round arm sees much use. I like it far more than my Hitachi 12" SCMS. IMO the advantage of a SCMS over a properly set up RAS is portability to a worksite. The advantages of a 10" or larger RAS over a SCMS are myriad with capacity being one of the more important issues. Dados and rabbets are gravy on a RAS as well, it's nice to have a clear view of the cutting line. I find my RAS does a better job of "nibbling" if I need to cut just a hair off as well.
To each their own however. As far as the original question of value, there are many out there for cheap, so value is set by the buyer.

Charles Taylor
10-02-2016, 1:14 PM
You can buy 12" Delta RAS for $75-$200 all day on many Craigslist. There accurate....
I sure wish that were true of the Craigslist in my area. Where I live, those are the asking prices for the newer Craftsman models, and the Deltas and DeWalts are rare as hens' teeth.

jack duren
10-02-2016, 2:05 PM
I never really understood the pricing in North Alabama. I was a cabinet maker in Florence Alabama for years in the 80's. As far as I know, as I check from time to time that cabinet makers still don't make any money there and used tools are still high.

I've got a second Delta 12" up for sale on craigslist and they won't bite here and the pricing is reasonable....

I'm still looking for a woodworking assistant/apprentice in Kansas city. Pays $18hr. One year still no results. That's considered good money in Florence...

Peter Aeschliman
10-02-2016, 2:09 PM
The quality cast iron and highly precise machining of the old dewalt saws is really hard to beat.

I haven't found an SMCS that doesn't deflect at least a little.

I think dust collection is actually better on a RAS, as long as you only use it for vertical cross cuts and miters (not ripping!). You can build a mostly enclosed box right behind the blade, whereas the area right behind the blade in an SMCS is obstructed by the pivot mechanism of the saw.

I have a Dewalt MBF, and I do agree with the previous poster who said the saw is underpowered. I will probably trade up to a bigger machine at some point.

Barry McFadden
10-02-2016, 2:49 PM
I have a Craftsman 12" RAS that I bought in the 70's. I have a planer attachment and sanding attachment that I used before I got a planer and drill press. I use the saw almost everyday and would never be without it.

Brian Henderson
10-02-2016, 3:18 PM
I loaned my RAS to my uncle about 20 years ago, he's still got it and I haven't missed it.

Cary Falk
10-02-2016, 4:08 PM
I restored a Dewalt MBF and then sold it when I found a DeWalt GWI. I sold the GWI earlier this year for what I paid for it several years ago. It didn't get used all that much and tied up space(and money) that I needed for other tools. There are some things that they excel at but there are other ways to do it. If I had a huge shop I would have one with a 12 or 14 inch blade and a large crosscut. I see a ton of Craftsmans on CL out here and a few of the MBF and MBC. Most areoverpriced at $100-200.

Jim Dwight
10-02-2016, 4:24 PM
I have an old Ryobi RAS that has been recalled due to cracking of the motor housing. Mine is fine but I use a negative hook blade so it doesn't grab. I have it on a long bench at the same height as my 12 in non-slider CMS. They share the same fence with stops. Up to 8 inch and angles are cut on the CMS. Wider cross cuts are done on the RAS. I have to twist a little to the left and as long as I do, the cuts are square. It is also handy sometimes for dados.

I thought about a slider when I was setting up the new shop but the bench space required, even for the Bosch articulating arm, is too much. I'm sure they're nice on a job site but in a shop, you need a REALLY deep bench to use a slider. My little RAS will work with the same depth as the 12 inch Hitachi non-slider leaving me room to get a car in the shop garage.

I don't think that typical RAS are more prone to deflection than typical sliders. Both can be pulled off course. Both work fine with the right blade and good technique.

Jon Endres
10-02-2016, 5:17 PM
I have a Delta-Milwaukee MX2 series 12/14" RAS, and a DeWalt MBF 9" saw. I'll probably sell the DeWalt, even though it's a nice little saw, but the Delta is going to anchor the long wall of my new shop and take the place of my Bosch SCMS which I despise. I've used radial arm saws since high school (early 80's) and I find that a properly adjusted saw with the correct blade is a joy to use.

Roy Turbett
10-02-2016, 6:55 PM
My 1979 Craftsman RAS had adequate power but wouldn't stay in alignment. My restored DeWalt MBF was highly accurate but slightly underpowered. My restored DeWalt GWI mounted in a wall is a dream. Its highly accurate, has adequate power and very good dust collection. My Bosch SCMS is like my dog. It sits in the corner waiting for a road trip.

larry senen
10-02-2016, 7:17 PM
I think it was my insurance guy that said "there's no small accidents on a radial arm saw".

Kim Gibbens
10-02-2016, 10:56 PM
A dewalt 1030 roundarm replaced my mbf, the 1030 is not going anywhere

Terry Beadle
10-03-2016, 8:57 AM
I have a Craftsman 10 in radial saw, for over 30 years. I use it for rough dimensioning timber and a few other processes. It sits by my Grizzly 1023 and tells the Grizzly old fart stories....that's why the Grizzley doesn't growl at me ... ;-)

The $100 it would get me on Craigslist is not worth messing with. It's real handy and despite some peoples experiences, after 30+ years I can get accurate results and extremely small adjustments to cuts that need it ( which is not often ). I use my planes to adjust to fit.

With the Forest blade, the cut is almost with out need for additional surfacing of end grain.

Worth more than the $100 in my opinion.

I will sell it to who ever wants to give me $1000 as Moma didn't raise no fool....hoot!

Enjoy the shavings!

Garth Almgren
10-03-2016, 12:01 PM
The perception is out there that RASs aren't worth anything, which just makes it easier to find a good deal for those of us that do appreciate them.

When you think about it, a RAS has a similar footprint as a 12" SCMS with a stand, but is way more versatile even if you only use it for crosscuts and dados. I've got a small shop (about 14' square for the main room), but it's got enough space for a 1980s 10" Craftsman RAS.

Only downsides I can see are that a RAS is not very portable, and you do have to flip your material over to get the same depth of cut as a 12" SCMS, but to me that's no big deal. You get the right blade on it - something with a negative hook angle - and that'll eliminate the lunging and tendency to self-feed.

If I had the chance to upgrade from a Craftsman to a vintage DeWalt in good shape for free, I'd take it.

Earl McLain
10-03-2016, 3:32 PM
I had a craftsman that was okay at cross-cutting, but I had to keep an eye on it. Later picked up a Dewalt SCMS that works great, and traded the craftsman motor for the $100 bounty (doubling my money!!). Late last winter, picked up a 1958 Dewalt GWI (12") RAS. Had to replace the motor bearings and add a new table--but it is incredibly accurate at any angle. Points that have been made by others that I would agree with quite strongly:
a. Blade selection is very important--for performance as well as personal safety. I see a lot of CL pictures with scary blades.
b. Garth's comment about the footprint--my SCMS is mounted on a Bosch stand, and even folded up it's not that much smaller than the Dewalt with an oversized table. (though I built 2 decks last summer, and the SCMS/stand sure was easy to drag around the yard!)
c. Versatility--Wally Kunkel's book (Mr. Sawdust) really helps in demonstrating some of the uses and techniques. I'll be keeping my table saw, but Kunkel almost talked me out of it.

Brought my Dad's 1946 Red Star turret RAS (bought by Delta in about 1948) home about 6 weeks ago. It will be a winter project. Can house a 14" blade, but I think i'll have a 12" made for it (3/4" arbor, so not much available off the shelf) and use it for sentimental reasons. Definitely needs bearings, otherwise only a little cosmetics.

Like many other forms of tool, it's a personal preference/comfort level. I like the old RAS.
earl

lowell holmes
10-03-2016, 5:55 PM
I have one (1960's vintage) that was my father's saw. You cannot put a table saw blade on it without the problem you talk about. The hook angle is wrong.
If you don't understand hook angle, you should learn about it. A proper blade will lessen the risk. Using any motorized saw is risky, even saber saws.

Put a proper blade on it and they are decent saws. You can cut yourself on any saw that you do know about. My saw cuts quickly and is handy for a lot of cuts. I think 6" and 8" "skillsaws" are more dangerous requiring more skill and concentration.

To you younger woodworkers, 50 years ago all 6" and 8" circular saws were called skillsaws by the carpenters. By the late 70's they were using the big heavy saws that had a longer body on them.
I had one framing carpenter that took the blade guard off of his saw and would lay the saw down with the blade up and coasting to a stop. It was a terrifying thing to watch.

Bradley Gray
10-03-2016, 8:18 PM
I have a fine Delta 14" mid 20th century RAS. It will crosscut wide stock, cut miters on long pieces, make tenons on stock too long for the table saw, cut boards to length for glue-ups and many other tasks and leave an incredibly smooth surface.

Myk Rian
10-03-2016, 9:24 PM
My MBF is the most accurate saw I have. I love it.

Adam Herman
10-04-2016, 11:38 AM
that's a beauty Myk. I would make room for one of those!

Roy Turbett
10-04-2016, 1:36 PM
My MBF is the most accurate saw I have. I love it.

As pretty as it is, it couldn't beat Barry's for the Vintage Machinery Calendar. Tough loss!

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/images/17523-A.jpg

Ken Combs
10-04-2016, 1:49 PM
The perception is out there that RASs aren't worth anything, which just makes it easier to find a good deal for those of us that do appreciate them.

When you think about it, a RAS has a similar footprint as a 12" SCMS with a stand, but is way more versatile even if you only use it for crosscuts and dados.

Only downsides I can see are that a RAS is not very portable, and you do have to flip your material over to get the same depth of cut as a 12" SCMS, but to me that's no big deal. You get the right blade on it - something with a negative hook angle - and that'll eliminate the lunging and tendency to self-feed.

Amen!!

I just last month picked up a Dewalt/Black and Deck Power shop, probably 80s vintage. It's on the factory steel cabinet with casters.(narrower than my SCMS w/stand and no storage underneath!) Not a speck of rust on it anywhere, controls all smooth and accurate. Installed a new correct blade and it is dead square and cuts great. All of $75!!

My SCMS is now on the shelf and will only be used when needed outside the shop. In my usage, that portability is the only advantage.

The radial arm is quieter, much more versatile and moves easier on its' casters when needed. BTW, I'm 73 and have been using a radial since age 17. And, can still count to ten using my fingers.