PDA

View Full Version : Drat. Lost iPhone.

Michael Weber
10-01-2016, 4:25 PM
North Point, PEI. Short walk from parking lot, down some steps to a small beach. Watched the waves, built a small stack of red sandstone rocks and took a single picture of the magnificent edifice. Headed back while checking the picture and pocketed the phone, I thought. Got to the car and reached for the phone and it's not there. Dang, retraced exact steps to the edifice, returned and retraced again with my wife along. It's not 200 yards total, only a couple of older couples around, and there simply isn't any sign of it. No phone service to it in Canada and its password protected but just DRATS! contacted my service provider. Drats!:mad:

Rich Riddle
10-01-2016, 4:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. That sucks.

George Bokros
10-01-2016, 4:41 PM
Did it perhaps fall from your pocket when you were in the and is under the seat. Mine fell from my pocket once and it wasn't under the seat but was in a pocket on tbe door

Matt Day
10-01-2016, 4:41 PM
Bummer.
-----

Mike Henderson
10-01-2016, 5:00 PM
Double Bummer. I'd really be upset if I lost mine.

Mike

Michael Weber
10-01-2016, 5:21 PM
Yes, I checked the rental car pretty good. Can't get upset. On vacation and I work really hard to keep my wife from worry, stress and getting upset herself. Had to suck it up and pretend like it's no big deal.:D

John K Jordan
10-01-2016, 5:27 PM
Oh no, what a pain. I dropped mine while clearing brush with the tractor once. I eventually found it but it was a sinking feeling. We get attached to those things!

My wife "lost" hers in front of the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris a few years ago. It was lifted by a pickpocket. She was not happy.

If you go to a crowded place in some of these cities NEVER let some young woman push a clipboard at you with a humanitarian plea (in English) to sign a petition to stop the drugs, feed the children, help the refugees, etc. The pickpockets work as a team. While looking at the clipboard an younger female accomplice bumps into you from needed and apologizes, another reaches around under the clipboard and gets the phone and passes it to another person who walks away. When the victim realizes what happens and starts to look around an older male accomplice comes up and says he saw the whole thing and he takes off to chase down the thief. I think this guy is actually in charge of and watching over the team. What he is doing is helping to get the phones and cameras to the drop point so the runner can get them back to the shop right away.

All the locals know about this, the police know about it, and nothing is ever done. Evidently the young people on the teams are recruited and brought in mostly from Romania. If caught they get sent home and are back again in a few days.

The teams work pinch points and very crowded areas. If someone comes up to me with a clipboard I start yelling loudly at them to get away and they leave me alone. If we go back to France I'm going to rig up a strong phone case for her with a steel cable which will prevent removal and trigger an electronic screamer in the purse.

JKJ

Brad Adams
10-01-2016, 6:48 PM
Was find my iPhone turned on?

Kevin Womer
10-01-2016, 7:30 PM
That does bite, sorry their about this.

David Masters
10-01-2016, 8:03 PM
As long as Cellular is still on, you could use Find My iPhone app from your wife's iPhone (if she has one) or log into your iCloud account on nearly any browser and use the app there.

Michael Weber
10-01-2016, 8:38 PM
Thanks again. The phone has no cellular service (Consumer Cellular) in Canada and it's not near a wifi connection so Find My Phone won't work, alas. I tried it and a couple of other location apps.

julian abram
10-02-2016, 2:23 AM
Darn also, I hate that also, sorry for your loss Michael. In the good ole days we just had to worry about losing our billfold, keys or pocket knife. Now we have tote that electric cow bell with us 24 hrs a day and keep up with it as well.

Kurt Kintner
10-02-2016, 8:59 AM
Used to worry about losing our iPhones... Then, we realized we were only using 0.2gb of data a month, combined.... So, why are we carrying these (expensive to replace) things around, and paying $120 a month?? We fired Verizon, and got flip phones from Comsumer Cellular for $47 a month.... Good part is, if we lose one, a replacement is $35.
We have a small, cheap tablet my wife can carry in her purse.... We activate it ($10/mo) if we're traveling.... Has GPS, and is nice to have while we're on the road... Mostly, it sits home ....