PDA

View Full Version : Need some help!

Jim Ketron
10-01-2005, 5:44 PM
I just did an update to my woodturning web site and would like to hear some feedback on what I should do different to make it better:confused:.
You can left click on my name next to my avatar and get to my (Home) website.
Thank you,
Jim

John Hart
10-01-2005, 6:36 PM
It's pretty nice Jim! I especially liked being able to browse through all your stuff again. Hey...What's a Confetti Lamp?

All the pages loaded fast and the pics looked good. The craftshow link didn't work though.

Very cool

Gary DeWitt
10-01-2005, 8:51 PM
I like your site's design, flows very well, easy to navigate and good pics and pic layout. If you can, you might make the navigation bar at the top into buttons, and possibly put it under the title as opposed to over it. Also close up the word up coming (to read upcoming)
Also, you might want to enlarge your caption type slightly, to make it easier to read over the textured background.
These are just nit-picking suggestions, coming from a former quality control manager of a printing company. You already have a higher quality site than most of the individual woodworker ones out there.
Good luck!

Loy Hawes
10-01-2005, 9:06 PM
I believe it is a good start. Lose the textured background. Try a solid color. Maybe get rid of the heavy bars in exchange for finer subtler lines.If any at all. I believe "Clinch Mountain Woodturnings" isn't displayed prominantly enough on the pages other than the home page. It should be bold, shouting out who you are! On the home page it is under the navigational links.Bring it above. Using the home page as a cover page looks nice. Like this site,

http://www.kimblattwoodturning.com/index.html

Try organizing your pictures into equal sized thumbnails to give the pages a cleaner look. Allow those thumbnails to open up into a larger picture.Keep the pages short.The less scrolling the better.I believe one of the most important things,if not the most important,is ease of navigation. Look at Alan Stirt's website. It is one of the easiest sites I have used. I would model (ripoff :D ) my website after his.

http://www.alstirt.com/index.html

Keith Burns
10-01-2005, 9:12 PM
I think it looks pretty darn good ! I agree with making the text a little larger above the photos. The other thing is the lack of prices. If I wanted to buy something I wouldn't want to wait for a price. Oh, one other thing.........................I LOVE THE BABY BOWL !:D

Jim Becker
10-01-2005, 10:02 PM
One thing of concern, when I access the site from FireFox, the browser is indicating I am missing some plugin that your site is requesting...

Jim Ketron
10-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Ok Guys Thanks for the tips.;)

I have made some changes to the site.
This is a free website and I'm limited on what I can do but Im also learning new things about it as I go. I dont know if I should post Prices on the Pieces with it being a free one. If someone is interested in A piece they can E-Mail me and I will get the Info out ASAP I check it a few times a day.

Loy Hawes
10-01-2005, 11:22 PM
One thing of concern, when I access the site from FireFox, the browser is indicating I am missing some plugin that your site is requesting...

Same here. It keeps prompting me to install the Apple Quicktime Plugin.

The new changes look good Jim!

Jim Ketron
10-01-2005, 11:26 PM
I have some music on a few pages and that is probably what is happening.

Loy Hawes
10-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Just another suggestion. Take "Woodturning's by Jim Ketron" from the bottom of the page and put it at the top.

Jim Ketron
10-01-2005, 11:31 PM
Will Do;)

Thanks

Loy Hawes
10-02-2005, 12:10 AM
I was playing around in photoshop and put a simple banner together that you are welcome to use.

Loy Hawes
10-02-2005, 1:19 AM
Came up with another one. I have these in .psd format if you decide to use them. Let me know and I will send them to you.

Jim Becker
10-02-2005, 10:12 AM
I have some music on a few pages and that is probably what is happening.

If you need to include music, make sure there is a way for it to be turned off... ;) It can be very disruptive for folks viewing from work or for folks who have other music sources turned on.

Dick Strauss
10-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Jim,
I think that you are off to a great start. One thing that you might want to consider is to make sure that all of your pics are sharp. Make sure you use a tripod or other stable object to hold the camera while you take the pics. Your light might also a little low. Take a look at the two forms listed under"<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#eeeeee><TD align=left><SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript>ind = query.indexOf("title=");var after = "";if( ind >= 0 ) { after = query.substring( ind + 6 ); var term = after.indexOf("&"); if( term > -1 ) after = after.substr(0, term);}if( after != "" ) document.write( unescape( after ) );else document.write( "&#160;" );// </SCRIPT>Box Elder hollow form with curl and red flame</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>. When they are enlarged to full size pic in gallery you see they are very soft, especially the second example. Many of your other pics are a little soft as well. Check out the links for taking good pics on this site...they might help show your work in the light that it belongs...

Also, put your most stunning pic of your work at the top of the page to get the viewer attention immediately right along side the twins in the baby bowl pic. You want the viewer to see your work without scrolling down if possible. You should also post the pics of you in action in the working/tools section, etc.

I agree with others...change your title to a logo with your name (nice ideas have been offered)...make the home/gallery/ buttons bigger...etc.

You're off to a good start and remember we only want to help you be successful!

Jim Ketron
10-02-2005, 7:20 PM
Thanks all for the tips!

Loy Thank you for making that banner its nice. Im trying to use it but all it will let me use is Text. im trying to find a way around that may take a few days:D

Jim Ketron
10-02-2005, 8:43 PM
Thanks Loy

Got it on there now, it looks GREAT!!!!:D

Loy Hawes
10-02-2005, 9:24 PM
Your welcome!

Loy Hawes
10-02-2005, 10:37 PM
Jim,check your email.

Jim Ketron
10-02-2005, 11:39 PM
WOW Your The Man Loy!

Nice work I do want to Thank you for all the hard work you have done! Now My site looks like a pro done it.
Love the new front page!:D
Go check it out!

Loy Hawes
10-03-2005, 12:54 AM
No problem Jim! Wait till you get my bill! :D

Adam Howard
10-03-2005, 9:35 AM
Hey Neighbor!

The site looks great! Very creative, and put together well.

We'll have to get together and turn sometime.

Best regards,

Adam.

Carole Valentine
10-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Jim, I use Firefox as well and I don't want to install Quicktime so I don't know what your music is, but I would recommend that you don't use music on your site. At best it is distracting to a site and at worst, downright annoying. It's also a frustration for many dial-up users.
Also, when I click on any of the photos on the home page, it simply reopens the same group of 6 pics minus the text in a new window. I expected it to open the pic I clicked on in a larger format. Have not tried it in Internet Explorer.
Hope you have better luck with that darn Site Builder than I did! I am currently working on one in Dreamweaver which I hope can be uploaded to Verizon (they also use Site Builder).

PS: Just tried it in Explorer. At least you have used "Good" music! But the downside of that is I start tapping my feet and listening to the music rather than paying attention to your work!:D

Jim Becker
10-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Carole, Dreamweaver works perfectly with any host that will accept FTP file transfer of files, including Verizon.

Aaron Koehl
10-03-2005, 4:44 PM
Came up with another one. I have these in .psd format if you decide to use them. Let me know and I will send them to you.
Good Loy, but I think "Woodturning" should be plural, rather than possessive..

(And yes, I know the Woodworkers in the SMC Logo should be plural possessive) ;)

Loy Hawes
10-03-2005, 5:06 PM
Thanks for calling that out Aaron. It has been fixed and sent to Jim.

Lars Thomas
10-03-2005, 6:12 PM
Picky, I know . . .In 'Our Location', South and West should be capitalized.

Aaron Koehl
10-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Thanks for calling that out Aaron. It has been fixed and sent to Jim.
It's what we do! :D