PDA

View Full Version : trouble loading photos

Alan Heffernan
09-30-2016, 10:41 PM
I have tried to upload photos last night and again tonight. No luck - get error message. Any others having this problem?

Bruce Page
09-30-2016, 11:46 PM
It is working normally for me. What is the message?

John K Jordan
10-01-2016, 7:51 AM
Alan, I'm not a moderator on this forum but more info might help solve the problem. Sometimes a detail can make the reason for a problem obvious!

For example, did photo uploads work in the past using the same method? Can you upload the same photo to an album here?

You might make post a step-by-step list of exactly what you try and what you click as well as info about the image such as type (jpg?), image size, file size, and location of the file. JKJ

Lee Schierer
10-01-2016, 8:52 AM
I've had that happen sometimes when photo files are very large the system at SMC will not accept them. Try reducing your photo file size about 25% and try uploading again.

Alan Heffernan
10-02-2016, 12:45 AM
I resized the photos before I tried to upload them (120 kb jpg). I was attempting to post them on a thread I had already posted several photos on.

I am getting a pop up that says:

www.sawmillcreek.org (http://www.sawmillcreek.org) says:
The following errors occured:
"photo name.jpg" Upload of file failed.

Tried to upload to this post and same message received.

Keith Outten
10-02-2016, 8:28 AM
Alan,

Reduce the picture to 800 by 600 which should get you under the 107 kb limit.

Keith Westfall
10-03-2016, 12:52 AM
It's too bad that the pop up noticed doesn't tell us the picture is too big. If we knew that, we could fix them, rather than than tearing our computer apart trying to fix something that isn't broken!!

Bill Jobe
10-03-2016, 2:14 AM
Some resize or edit apps change your .jpg to a .png. I ran into that problem.
I've uploaded much bigger pics than 107Kb.

John K Jordan
10-03-2016, 7:47 AM
There must be something else going on. Is a larger image upload a benefit of contributor status?

I tried uploading an image bigger than 107kb.

This photo was 276k:

This was over one MB: 1027k.

I notice the upload process apparently resized the image to make the displayed dimensions smaller AND reduced the file size to 122K as judged by downloading the image from SMC back to my computer. These are clues, but only the Shadow knows what is really going on...

JKJ

Lee Schierer
10-03-2016, 8:29 AM
The upload process does resize your photo files, but on occasion it will not process really large files (3 mb+). It may be related to upload speed or possibly something else. When it happens, I just resize my file and try again. the 107 KB size is ideal, but not essential to get you photo uploaded.

Alan Heffernan
10-03-2016, 2:30 PM
Here's an attempt to load a jpg at 68 KB. FAILED again!

In the recent past I have uploaded photos in the +200 KB range and that worked fine. But all of sudden, nothing works.

Must be something wrong on my end. I will keep digging I guess.

Bruce Page
10-03-2016, 3:34 PM
Alan, I sent you a PM

Alan Heffernan
10-03-2016, 5:29 PM
There must be something else going on. Is a larger image upload a benefit of contributor status?

. . . . .
JKJ
Evidently not!

Alan Heffernan
10-03-2016, 5:30 PM
got offers of help from a couple of you, thanks, much appreciated.

Bruce Page
10-03-2016, 6:03 PM
Alan, I got your photo and it uploads as expected.
This post has detailed instructions on uploading photos to SMC. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?167711-posting-photos-as-of-June-2011
If all else fails, you can email the photos to me along with a link to your post and I will add them for you.

Alan Heffernan
10-03-2016, 6:33 PM
Okay, thanks Bruce. What type of pc and operating system are you using?

I think the gremlin on my machine is part of a Windows 10 update a few days ago. It was a massive update and I suspect that my issue started with that. BTW, I have been following the procedures you referred to for pictures for sometime and haven't struggled until this gremlin surfaced.

I have been resizing photos with different Microsoft programs and it shows that they are jpeg files when done. Properties say it is a jpeg with a certain file size. For example, the above photo was saved to my desktop but it would not load from my machine. It did from yours.

I tried a new twist and it seems to be necessary to my system now. Even though the previous files were jpegs, I am not sure the upload process recognized them as such from my machine as I tried to upload them. I just resaved one by selecting jpeg from a drop down and while the properties didn't change, it now uploads. So my problem is solved. Thanks for trying to help.

I will call it Windows 10 update issues and move on. It just adds an additional step on my pc to make it work.

John K Jordan
10-03-2016, 6:44 PM
Alan,

I tested the image upload with the file you emailed to me as well as one "run" through Photoshop to clean up any issues. Both uploaded without issue:

345098 345099
The internal data in the file didn't appear to be unusual. The file displayed properly in the programs I tried. The file itself seems fine.

Some thoughts then:
You said uploads worked before, then quit. I assume you are using the same upload procedure as worked before.

- If you try a file that worked before, does it give an error now or does it still upload?

- Can you upload the problem photo to an album here?

- Are the files stored on the same type of device as before? (i.e. local HD)

- Any changes in your computer software or internet provider or connection hardware before then?

- If you are a member of other forums, such as AAW, can you upload a problem photo there?

JKJ

Bruce Page
10-03-2016, 7:02 PM
Alan, I'm running Windows 7. No desire to move to 10... yet.
I don't know what the problem is. You could try clearing all your cookies for SMC? I don't know if that would have anything to do with it but it couldn't hurt.

Alan Heffernan
10-03-2016, 7:33 PM
Thanks John and Bruce - I am calling it a Windows 10 update issue! That would affect both the software packages (Microsoft) that I used in the past.

Bruce, I understand your desire to not move to "10". I am betting most of the corporate users are still on 7. They certainly didnt go to "8".
Yes, no harm in clearing the cookies. Meanwhile I found the work around and can put this aggravation to rest for the time being.

Thanks again for the help.

Lee Schierer
10-03-2016, 7:45 PM
I've uploaded photos from Win 10 with no issues except for very large photo files which occasionally won't upload unless I resize them a bit. This photo would not upload until I reduced the file size from 4 Mb to less than 2 Mb.

Alan Heffernan
10-03-2016, 7:53 PM
So have I until the last few days. After the big update something changed.

Bruce Page
10-03-2016, 9:50 PM
I've uploaded photos from Win 10 with no issues except for very large photo files which occasionally won't upload unless I resize them a bit. This photo would not upload until I reduced the file size from 4 Mb to less than 2 Mb.

I want to be where that photo was taken..

John K Jordan
10-04-2016, 6:07 AM
Thanks John and Bruce - I am calling it a Windows 10 update issue!

Bummer. Microsoft hasn't tried to force me to update to 10, perhaps because I turn off the automatic updates.

This laptop is running Win 8. I find it quite usable after I installed the Classic Shell UI software. Before that I hated the UI, Microsoft's attempt to turn the OS into a tablet UI, and a poor one at that. The OS has been remarkably stable - I've been running it for 4 years I think and I can't remember having a glitch.

Alan, I may have missed it - what work-around did you find that works for the photo uploads?

JKJ

Lee Schierer
10-04-2016, 7:45 AM
I want to be where that photo was taken..

The photo is of Hell's Gate in Antigua. The water was quite clear and warm.

Alan Heffernan
10-04-2016, 11:42 AM
. . . . . . ..

Alan, I may have missed it - what work-around did you find that works for the photo uploads?

JKJ
John, in the past when resizing a jpeg file you simply resized it and saved it. It recognized that it was a jpeg and saved it as such. If you do that now, evidently when uploading from my laptop some attribute is confused or missing and the board doesnt recognize as a jpeg. However the properties of the file will say it is a jpeg but it will not upload from my machine. These same files did upload from your and Bruce's machines! Therefore I am thinking it has something to do with the Windows 10 update that was pushed out recently. It was a large one that took a long time and caused multiple reboots to get it installed.

Now when I resize (via Paint for example), I must go to a drop down and specify it be saved as a jpeg. When saved in this fashion, the file upload to the board then works.

John K Jordan
10-04-2016, 1:32 PM
Now when I resize (via Paint for example), I must go to a drop down and specify it be saved as a jpeg. When saved in this fashion, the file upload to the board then works.

Thanks. I save stuff like this in a file in case someone else has the same problem later. (A habit from the past from moderating and doing tech support on a big forum, I guess!)

JKJ