PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 oz Hammer, Because why not?

Dan Kirkland
09-30-2016, 7:00 PM
Here's a little one I made, most of the typical luthier's hammers you buy are within the 8-9oz range, I needed something VERY light that could be used to tap apart stubborn wooden guitar/violin pieces without applying too much force or denting the instrument. This is a stupidly simple design but it works for what I need. Made from ash scrap and oak.

I don't know if it actually weighs a 1/4oz but it's almost weightless in the hand.

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5218/29737844070_1534acf212_z.jpg

Pat Barry
10-01-2016, 1:46 PM
It would be nice to tell us the size or put some common objects in the picture to help us gauge the size. I would guess it's way more than 1/4 ounce though, but it looks good!

John K Jordan
10-01-2016, 5:35 PM
That looks handy!

I get a lot of use out of small hammers. I have one with replaceable heads so I can use plastic, steel, or brass as needed. Another hammer is just a rod knurled in the center - sometimes it is easier to tap than swing.

JKJ

Dan Kirkland
10-03-2016, 5:54 PM
It would be nice to tell us the size or put some common objects in the picture to help us gauge the size. I would guess it's way more than 1/4 ounce though, but it looks good!

Whoops! Big duh on my part. Yes it's most likely more than a 1/4 ounce it just doesn't feel like any is in your hand hardly when you use it. The 1/4 ounce part was more sarcasm than anything