PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Vase

John Hart
10-01-2005, 5:27 PM
After a couple of months of too much work to do and a little vacation, I'm trying to get back in the saddle. Decided to start off with this Cherry Vase. It's 5.75 in diameter and a little under 7" tall. Still battling with my hollowing techniques but I'm starting to feel more comfortable.....except when my tool handle bashes me in the face! :eek: It's finshed with Walnut oil and amber shellac, then buffed. It's sitting on top of a piece of the original cherry. Thanks for lookin'.

Glenn Hodges
10-01-2005, 7:50 PM
I like it! Good lines, finish is so smooth, and it begs to be picked up.

Chris Barton
10-01-2005, 7:59 PM
Hi John,

Glad to see you back online. Your stalkers, er friends, have missed you. Great looking piece! What kind of hollowing rig do you use? I have been considering a Kelton...

Ernie Nyvall
10-01-2005, 8:15 PM
Very nice John. I like the form.

Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-01-2005, 8:31 PM
THAT IS ELEGANT, John!

Bruce

Keith Burns
10-01-2005, 9:19 PM
Very nice piece. Nice form and finish. I too am glad your'e back.

Von Bickley
10-01-2005, 10:04 PM
John,
Great looking vase..... that's also a great photo. :)

Jim Ketron
10-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Nice One John!
Ditto on Glenns post!

Carole Valentine
10-01-2005, 11:32 PM
Are you sure you didn't go on a "turning" vacation? Doesn't look to me like you have been way from the lathe at all! Beautiful and a very nice finish.:)

Rich Stewart
10-02-2005, 1:07 AM
WOW John. Fabulous piece. Really beautiful. Nice job.

Shelley Bolster
10-02-2005, 8:36 AM
This definitely looks to be a stroker John. I truly wonderful piece and I staging of the photograph is terrific.......the raw wood accents how refined the vase is not to mention that it is just plain nice to look at! ;)

John Hart
10-02-2005, 9:15 AM
Geez...thanks everyone for all your nice words! I must admit, I've been fondling this one quite a bit. Thanks for the welcome back too!:)

Chris...What's a hollowing rig?:D Just kidding...but the fact is, I don't have one. I just use a standard toolrest and a scraper mostly. I just got a curved rest from Sears that sorta helps and I made a hollowing scraper that helps me with the underside....but other than that, it's basically "me against nature" where I usually lose!

Mark Singer
10-02-2005, 10:18 AM
John,

Its not Shlamaca.....but its still beautiful! It goes to show yow you you don't need to use a rare , almost never talked about wood, to make a beautiful piece.
Picture that same piece in Shlamaca though......I am a dreamer:rolleyes:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Shlamaca&hl=en&lr=&filter=0

If you believe it is true!

Dick Strauss
10-02-2005, 10:40 AM
I couldn't agree more with Shelley...nice form, nice wood, nice to see the wood in the various stages in the same pic. I love just about anything made out of cherry if it is done right and this piece is done the right way!