PDA

View Full Version : Bd ft price of Chestnut?

Phillip Mitchell
09-29-2016, 8:30 PM
I'm curious what the folks with experience in this arena can tell me. I'm interested in buying some chestnut lumber locally for an interior trim project and wanting to get an idea of a median price from different regions if possible. I live in the Appalachians where American Chestnut was quite commonly used in barn construction, to the point where many folks with these older, deteriorating barns on their property will offer them up for sale to whoever wants to demo the barn and keep the lumber. This can drive the bd ft lumber price up quite high in some cases. I've seen wormy/old chestnut advertised at times for $10+ bd/ft for 1x lumber, which is too rich for my blood. Not sure how much they are actually selling at that price, though. I've also seen it advertised for as low as $3-4 bd/ft.

Just curious if there are any folks out there familiar with Chestnut pricing. I know it's history reasonably well and realize how in demand it has become in certain areas, applications.

I don't care if it's wormy or not for this project. The dimensions I'm looking for is 4x6, 1x4 and 1x12 (which I expect to be pricey) I will consider glueing up 1x6 pieces if necessary due to price. I probably need 70-80 bd ft for this project. The person I'm talking to currently about chestnut has not yet set a price.

Thanks for any input!

Lee Schierer
09-29-2016, 9:30 PM
Since there are no more chestnut trees being commercially harvested and the only material is from old sources such as you have listed that the price is going to be pretty high and availability of stock size is going to be pretty limited. Old growth and reclaimed lumber generally is priced pretty high. I would look carefully at the $3-4 range and be sure It is quality wood and really chestnut. You might try calling Hearne Hardwoods (http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/hardwoods/pricelist/pricelist.html) to see what they charge.

Bill Bukovec
09-29-2016, 9:34 PM
In Kingsport, TN it's $5.50 -6.50/ bd ft at Vintagetimbers.com.

Phillip Mitchell
09-29-2016, 9:54 PM
Thanks Bill. Good to know. I live on the west side of Boone. Kingsport is less than 1.5 hrs from me.

lowell holmes
09-30-2016, 9:51 AM
I wouldn't know where to find chestnut in the Houston area.

I understand it is similar to walnut.

Is that the case?

Mark Wooden
09-30-2016, 12:01 PM
I understand it is similar to walnut.

Butternut is a closer substitute