PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Legend 32 - 35W or 75W???

Alvin Deighton
09-29-2016, 5:11 PM
Hello SMC community!

I recently "inherited" a surplus 2001 Epilog Legend 32 badged as a 35W. It works but the beam is very weak - the Synrad laser has a service sticker from 2004 so I'm guessing it needs recharged (at a minimum). I replaced the mirrors and lens to see if that helped but it didn't make much difference.

I'm most confused about the power of the machine as it has 35W in the serial number and on the front but the Synrad tube is rated for 75W. In my searching Epilog said they don't have my serial number on file so they can't confirm any of the specs about it. I called again today and the tech I spoke to said they installed 75W tubes on those machines but the output power was only 35W(?). So when I send this in to get it recharged I'll have a 75W tube but only a 35W machine? Can anyone help me out with that?

Also - I've spent a few dollars on the mirrors etc so far but feel free to hit me with your input on spending $$$ on a 16 yr. old laser. I'm looking at it as a hobby for now but I'm not opposed to making money with it if I can. On the other hand, I have no guarantee that just recharging the tube will be the last of my expenses and it sounds like getting replacement parts is getting harder for this model. Feel free to tell me I'm stupid and/or share what you would do if you were me.

Thanks for your input!

Alvin

Keith Downing
09-29-2016, 6:01 PM
Hello SMC community!

I recently "inherited" a surplus 2001 Epilog Legend 32 badged as a 35W. It works but the beam is very weak - the Synrad laser has a service sticker from 2004 so I'm guessing it needs recharged (at a minimum). I replaced the mirrors and lens to see if that helped but it didn't make much difference.

I'm most confused about the power of the machine as it has 35W in the serial number and on the front but the Synrad tube is rated for 75W. In my searching Epilog said they don't have my serial number on file so they can't confirm any of the specs about it. I called again today and the tech I spoke to said they installed 75W tubes on those machines but the output power was only 35W(?). So when I send this in to get it recharged I'll have a 75W tube but only a 35W machine? Can anyone help me out with that?

Also - I've spent a few dollars on the mirrors etc so far but feel free to hit me with your input on spending $$$ on a 16 yr. old laser. I'm looking at it as a hobby for now but I'm not opposed to making money with it if I can. On the other hand, I have no guarantee that just recharging the tube will be the last of my expenses and it sounds like getting replacement parts is getting harder for this model. Feel free to tell me I'm stupid and/or share what you would do if you were me.

Thanks for your input!

Alvin

Hey, welcome to SMC Alvin!

I don't have an Epilog, so I'm afraid I can't be much help there. But I was going to suggest you add your location to your profile. A lot of times there will be someone nearby who may have local contacts or shop advice. But without that info there you may never hear from them!

Alvin Deighton
09-29-2016, 6:19 PM
Good advice! But I will be surprised if there are many machines up here in the far north.

Bert Kemp
09-29-2016, 6:30 PM
We have a couple of people from AK maybe they will chime in.Also if you list your equipment in your signature that helps also . so we don't have to keep asking or going back thru replies trying to find out what your trying to fix.

Good advice! But I will be surprised if there are many machines up here in the far north.

Joe Pelonio
09-29-2016, 6:43 PM
Epilogue can tell you when you contact them about the new tube, but a colleague has two about that vintage and they are both 100 Watts dual head. It depends on how it was configured when built, they should have that from the serial #.

Jeanette Brewer
10-01-2016, 11:56 AM
In my searching Epilog said they don't have my serial number on file so they can't confirm any of the specs about it. I called again today and the tech I spoke to said they installed 75W tubes on those machines but the output power was only 35W(?).

Neither of those sentences sounds quite right. Looks like there is some misunderstanding at one end or the other. I'd suggest calling support again OR email the serial number to me -- jeanette at engravingconcepts dot com and I'll see what I can find out for you.

James Rambo
10-01-2016, 5:18 PM
I have a 2002 60 watt legend 32. I have had a couple of problems since purchase new. Epilog techs are great and the parts are still available.

Alvin Deighton
10-04-2016, 4:17 PM
James - Thanks for your input! It's good to hear parts are still available - that wasn't the impression I was getting from other posts/threads but maybe I was misunderstanding.

Jeanette - Thanks for your offer of help - I wrote you an email with serial numbers and everything and was just about to send when I had an Ah-Hah moment! I was misunderstanding the stickers on the tube. I just got off the phone with Synrad and he confirmed that the sticker (which says 75W MAX) is not the actual strength of the laser but rather a warning to comply with legal requirements. So I don't have a 75W tube after all, it's a 25W. He said it's a question that gets asked a lot - so for anybody else that has the same question the picture below is not the actual rating of the tube, just a warning.

Kev Williams
10-04-2016, 4:46 PM
As for your tube being very weak, based on my 14 years with a 25w machine, you should be able to get thru 1/8" Rowmark in one pass-- one SLOOWW pass, like 1/4" per second give or take-- but one pass. If yours will do this, it's likely okay. If not okay, you likely won't get thru 1/8" at all...

Martin Boekers
10-04-2016, 4:48 PM
Welcome to the forum! Synrads are good tubes! I have 4 epilogs, two EXT Legends 36, 75watts (2005-2006) one M2 fusion 32 120 watts (2015) one Radius 25 Watts (1998)
All have performed well over the years. Customer service has always been outstanding! Have fun!