PDA

View Full Version : Vaccum on the sliding table

Albert Lee
09-28-2016, 8:59 PM
I am curious about the vacuum pad on the sliding table, no more holding down of the stock while cutting and pushing at the same time. I know Altendorf has this as an option on the F45 and so does Martin.

Just how useful is this function in reality? if you have used one can you please share your experience?

I think it will be useful because there is no more hold down on top of the stock that you need the stock out of the way before lifting.

thoughts please?

Joe Calhoon
09-29-2016, 5:41 AM
Its a spendy option on Martin. About 19K for a 10' slider. I could see it useful on thin or delicate veneer sheets and sheets of non ferrous metal or plastic. To justify the cost you would need to be cutting a lot of this type material.

We work mostly solid wood on our slider and happy with the way the Airtight clamps function. And they work fine for the little bit of sheet cutting we do. We cut bender ply occasionally and it is a bit of a wrestling match to hold. Clamping that with a board on top works with a little extra effort.

Erik Loza
09-29-2016, 9:48 AM
The more expensive the slider becomes, regardless of brand or features, the harder is it to sell. I can tell you from the sales side of things that (at least here in the US), nobody is going to spend $60K on a slider when they can get into a decent CNC for maybe $10K-$15K more.

I'd be curious to see an actual shop that has one and how they use it.

Erik

Albert Lee
09-29-2016, 9:32 PM
Erik, you are right. again. lol

is SCM CNC any good? honet opinion please.

Peter Kelly
09-30-2016, 9:59 AM
Its a spendy option on Martin. About 19K for a 10' slider.:eek: Who buys this stuff?

At that point, I'd be looking into a beam saw.

Joe Calhoon
10-01-2016, 7:50 AM
I asked Martin about this and they said industries cutting thin metal sheets and glossy plastic sheets go for this option. If you are just busting up sheet goods all day sliding table saws are not the best method. Nested router or beam saw for sure.
The shops I see using the top end sliders like the T75 are usually custom furniture makers or high end architectural woodworkers.

Erik Loza
10-01-2016, 1:01 PM
...is SCM CNC any good? honet opinion please.

Yeah, SCM makes fine CNC equipment. As do a bunch of other manufacturers. The most important factor in buying a CNC should be the dealer support network.

Erik