PDA

View Full Version : Screwy Question...

Jim Poelstra
10-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Just wondering if there is any pro's or con's on using FH sheetmetal screws for woodworking instead of plain wood screws. Cost is not much more that regular screws so that's not much of an issue.

Just want to no if there are any advantage's or dis-advantages.

Thanks.

Jim

Jim Becker
10-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Welcome to SMC!!!

Sheet metal screws will work, but they tend to have finer threads. Coarse threads are better for wood. My preference for "everything" that gets screwed, no matter what the material (other than drywall) is square drive screws which I buy from McFeelys (http://www.mcfeelys.com/screws.asp). I'd never go back to other formats... ;)

Don Baer
10-01-2005, 12:57 PM
My neighbor converted over to the square drve screws a while back and swears by them. I might look at them when my resent stock of screws run out. When my neighbor converted over he gave me his supply of screws and being fruggle (cheap) I don't want to spend the money right now..

Dale Rodabaugh
10-01-2005, 2:23 PM
Amen on the square drives from Mcfeelys.I am about ready to order another batch.:D :D :D

Gary Herrmann
10-01-2005, 2:30 PM
I love that place. I have one whole zag container dedicated to nothing but square drives. Make sure you check the bargain bin. Good stuff in there sometimes. Next order I may gamble on the 10lb mixed assortment I've seen advertised there a few times. I think its $20 for 10lbs of fasteners. 'Course, sorting them would be a major pain...

Byron Trantham
10-01-2005, 3:01 PM
Welcome to SMC!!!

Sheet metal screws will work, but they tend to have finer threads. Coarse threads are better for wood. My preference for "everything" that gets screwed, no matter what the material (other than drywall) is square drive screws which I buy from McFeelys (http://www.mcfeelys.com/screws.asp). I'd never go back to other formats... ;)

Hum! That is exactly what I do. :p Besides they have quite a slection for all kinds of fastner needs.

Carl Eyman
10-01-2005, 3:30 PM
I second the comments on square drive and Mc Feeley's. Sometimes - today infact - I needed a size that I didn't have in sq. drive; so I went to local hardware stove. All they have in flat head is sheet metal screws - all threads! Without the straight smooth shank of a woodscrew one has to be careful the threads engaging the top piece don't prevent it from being drawn down tightly to the bottom piece. Make sure the hole in the top piece is large enough to clear the threads. Hope I made the point clear without a picture.

Tony Falotico
10-01-2005, 4:13 PM
My preference for "everything" that gets screwed, no matter what the material (other than drywall) is square drive screws which I buy from McFeelys (http://www.mcfeelys.com/screws.asp). I'd never go back to other formats... ;)

Ahh Yes, Once again Listen to Jim, Since going to the McFeely's square drives I too will never go back to other formats... ; :) :)

Howard Acheson
10-01-2005, 4:21 PM
Going back to your original question, there is no reason against using gimlet point sheet metal screws. However, you need to drill a larger clearence hole so that you can draw down the wood being held tightly. In other words, the screw needs to be able to be freely inserted into the top board.

Phil Phelps
10-01-2005, 4:29 PM
... I think sheet metal screws are harder. Take more torque than regular screws. Square formant is really good.

Jim Poelstra
10-01-2005, 6:12 PM
Thanks for the quick reply's..... I think I am going to like this place. :)

I will check into those square drive screws. Now that you mention it, I can see the advantage to the course threads.

Jim

luke bronco
10-30-2005, 7:42 PM
wood screw vs sheet metal screws like a #8 by 18 threads per inch in sheet metal is the same thread form on a rolled thread wood screw except that a wood screw as a rule only has a 2/3 thread length and the reast is fullbody ot the dia. of the major on the thread. Best screw for wood use are Cut. Cut thread wood screws have a tapered core size that gets larger as you move up the screw. where a roll thread or sheet metal have a minior dia that says constant up the screw and leads to a week point under the head which often snaps off :( we all know it happens. So anyway i recommend useing cut screws for those fine wood projects its easy to tell when you look at the screw which is which check out the site for a close up pic of a cut thread screw and note the taperd bodie thses suckers never break. http://www.oemfasteners.net/My_Homepage_Files/Page9.html

hope this helps
Luke

Dick Strauss
10-30-2005, 8:03 PM
My favorites for general construction are drywall screws. They hold much better than reg. wood or metal screws. I haven't looked but I assume that square drive deck screws also have the larger circumference threads (wrt the base diameter) that make the drywall screws so effective.

Frank Pellow
10-30-2005, 8:04 PM
Welcome to Saw Mill Creek, Jim. I see that you have already have the answer to your question.

I second what many others have said about square drive screws. :) Of course, Robertson screws (also called Square Drive) have been the favoured screws in Canada for almost 100 years. :D