PDA

View Full Version : Vega Model 2600

Tony Sizemore
10-01-2005, 9:17 AM
Hello all, I know someone out here has a Vega, and I also know that some of you a much more knowledgeable in the pro’s and con’s on it so I would like to hear them if you don’t mind. I am considering this for a second lathe in my shop. I have a “traditional” lathe that I do spindle work on. I have looked and Jet’s 16 inch, and PM 2035 but they have a bigger foot print and in the case of PM and bigger price tag to get what I “think” I want. I am going to post a few pic’s of my most resent work soon but please let me know what you all think. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

By the way I in the last week looked and the DVR too, but again with the addition of the outboard tool rest and the other stuff it is pricey.<o:p></o:p>

Thanks so much.;)

sascha gast
10-01-2005, 9:44 AM
Bill Grumbine has that Vega, contact him and he might be able to help.

sascha

Jim Becker
10-01-2005, 9:54 AM
John M also has one. Nice machine and the VS version is priced attractively.

Bill Grumbine
10-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Hi Tony

I have had my Vega 2600 for a few months now. It is pure luxury to use, and while it may not be the prettiest lathe you will ever see (I think my Poolewood holds that distinction) it is as solid as you could want. If you already have the spindle machine, this would be a great choice for bowls and hollow forms.

Below are three links to posts I made during the acquisition of the machine.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22658&highlight=Vega+lathe

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23087&highlight=Vega+lathe

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23237&highlight=Vega+lathe

Since writing these, I have had opportunity to spend time turning hollow forms on it. Now, my Poolewood has a pivoting headstock that will also slide the length of the bed, but it does not come close to the ease of use of the Vega. Within a matter of seconds I can detach the tailstock, set it aside, and stand just about anwhere relative to the turning, in front, at the end, behind, etc. I do not have (yet) the bed extension, which allows enough length for captured hollowing rigs to be used, but for now I can always go to the Poolewood.

If you have any more questions after reading my posts, let me know and I will be glad to try and answer them for you.

Bill

John Miliunas
10-01-2005, 2:03 PM
Hey Tony,

Well, on matters such as turning, Bill usually does have the last word around here but, FWIW, I have the Vega 2400 ( older brother to the 2600) and it's a great unit! :) Mine isn't as "pretty" as Bill's, but I got a heckuva' deal on it used. As lathes go, the Vega is a bit on the "ugly" side, but it has the ability to help the user turn out some BIG pretty stuff! And yes, the small footprint does indeed help on saving valuable real estate in one's shop!:) :cool:

steve johnson
08-15-2014, 3:05 PM
Bill, do you still like the Vega?