PDA

View Full Version : The slowest Aston Martin ever

Wayne Lomman
09-27-2016, 4:16 AM
I was in town yesterday to pick up some bolts for my old 1951 David Brown Cropmaster and chisel plough. The guy behind the counter wanted to know why I wanted 9/16 BSF bolts. When I said what tractor and plough I had he asked me if I knew why Aston Martin models were all DB... Turns out it is because David Brown started the Aston Martin marque. Closest I'll ever get to owning an Aston.... Cheers

Frederick Skelly
09-27-2016, 6:34 AM
Well, you're closer than I'll ever get Wayne! :D

Van Huskey
09-27-2016, 10:08 AM
Sir David Brown wasn't the only one to go from tractors to sports cars, Ferruccio Lamborghini also made the jump from slow to fast.

BTW technically Brown did not start Aston, he bought it in the late 40s.

Rick Potter
09-27-2016, 12:01 PM
I read somewhere the first Land Rover was a war surplus Jeep with a hand made body, a gentleman farmer made.

Rod Sheridan
09-27-2016, 1:09 PM
My friend Ed has a Porche tractor...............It's not very fast either................Rod.

John McClanahan
09-27-2016, 1:16 PM
The first Land Rover bodies were mounted on Jeep CJ2-A chassis.

Wayne Lomman
09-27-2016, 9:56 PM
You are right about the first prototype Landrover was based on the surplus Jeep chassis at the time. It had centre steering but they dropped that before production. It was engineered to make use of surplus aircraft aluminium and paint with minimal steel. Rover deliberately developed it to get by until the car market picked up and then discovered they had a winner. Land Rover is much more common than Jeep in Australia. They only started regularly importing Jeeps in the 90's. Cheers

Frederick Skelly
09-27-2016, 10:16 PM
Henry Ford also started out with (repairing) tractors.

Wayne Lomman
09-28-2016, 8:31 AM
By the way, the old David Brown had been sitting in the weather untouched for about 2 years. I put a battery in it, put fuel in it, hit the starter and it fired first turn. It has always been reliable. I ran the chisel plough through a new section of the home yard for this seasons vegetable garden in about 10 minutes. Cheers