PDA

View Full Version : Highly figured white oak box

Andrew Hughes
09-26-2016, 5:11 PM
I would like to share some of my recent woodwork since i haven't posted any of my work for a while.
The box measures 11w x 7d x 4 tall. Really neat wood to work. Its grain direction was crazy even my planer with a bryd head had a hard time taming it.
I did a little shaping with sand paper but was able to Scrape it with my card scraper thank god.Cause i hate sandpaper.
The finish is blonde shellac with pure button lac polish.
Super shiney.

Aj

Von Bickley
09-26-2016, 7:29 PM
Beautiful wood and GREAT craftsmanship......

Jim Becker
09-26-2016, 8:23 PM
Wow...unusually awesome figure in that white oak and masterful craftsmanship putting it to good use!

Frederick Skelly
09-26-2016, 8:57 PM
That's a beautiful piece. I like the design and, of course, I love the wood.
What gave you the idea for the "horns" on the top? They look great.

John TenEyck
09-26-2016, 9:01 PM
Beautiful. It's a shame your photography skills are nearly as poor as mine.

John

Andrew Hughes
09-26-2016, 9:10 PM
Beautiful. It's a shame your photography skills are nearly as poor as mine.

John

Thanks guys
,I must admit I took at least 50 pics with my wife's D80.And I have absolutely no idea how that camera works.
The pics did start looking better after I got out the tripod camera holder.
Geez photography is a whole new kettle of fish.

Aj

Art Mann
09-26-2016, 9:22 PM
That is some really pretty wood. I would never guessed it was white oak and I have used a lot of white oak over the years. Please accept my compliments of the excellent craftsmanship also.

Michelle Rich
09-27-2016, 7:16 AM
top wwkng & joinery skills, and of course the wood is wonderful. thanks for sharing

Allan Speers
09-27-2016, 3:29 PM
Wow.

Besides the flame, those DT's are incredible.

Andrew, what's the purpose of the curved top pieces? Just decoration, or some function?

Andrew Hughes
09-27-2016, 6:27 PM
Wow.

Besides the flame, those DT's are incredible.

Andrew, what's the purpose of the curved top pieces? Just decoration, or some function?

Thanks Allen
Just decorative,Like the horned cabinet James krenov made.
I might add a handle if I think of something that adds to the piece.

Aj

Mike Ontko
09-28-2016, 10:56 AM
Stunning! I'd guessed that the horned sides would function somewhat as grab handles. So, maybe you don't need to add anything that would interfere with the clean surface.

I've only been taking pictures using my cell phone, even though I had access previously to a top-end camera system through my last job (Canon 5D mk III with a number of lenses). If you really want to build a decent visual portfolio, then a better camera system is a must, coupled with a little studio setup so you can control lighting and omit background distractions.

Cody Armstrong
10-05-2016, 10:48 PM
Andrew that is some special white oak. I hope you have more. I like the design of the box.

I have a couple questions. How are you dealing with wood movement in the top? Are the three middle pieces floating in a dado between the dovetails or did you glue them all together with the edge pieces that are dovetailed.

Andrew Hughes
10-05-2016, 11:24 PM
Thanks Cody,The pieces that makeup the top are floating.
I could find only one board in the stack.
Bummer

Aj