PDA

View Full Version : Rotten Egg Odor in Hot Water

BOB OLINGER
09-26-2016, 11:15 AM
After like 37 years, suddenly we have a rotten egg odor in our hot water (water source is a well serving several families; neighbors are OK). Coincidentally, we put in a new Whirlpool water heater about 6 months ago. So, after contacting Whirlpool, I put in a new standard anode tube. However, the smell came back in about 1 week. So, after doing a little research, I purchased an upgrade anode tube and installed it after chlorinating the water heater. So, we're keeping our fingers crossed. Meanwhile, one source suggested installing a chlorine drip in the hot water heater input. Has anyone done this and have any suggestions or other experience along this line? Thanks.

Kev Williams
09-26-2016, 2:33 PM
I have this problem in our houseboat and motorhome. I haven't found a cure yet other than chlorinating.

When chlorinating, according to something I read, you should dose it real heavy, then open every hot water faucet you have until you smell the bleach. Then wait at least 24 hours for the chlorine to kill the bacteria in the tank AND all of the pipes.

I've done that, and the stink stays away longer than just a small shot of chlorine...

Since both my rigs are drained every winter, I'm of the opinion that the dry tanks and water lines are the source of the smell. Since your pipes were likely drained while changing the heater, could be bacteria formed inside them while they were dried out. That's the only explanation I've come up with that sounds logical to me!

Lots of chlorine... :)

John Lanciani
09-26-2016, 2:39 PM
Sulfur bacteria, start here: http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/wells/waterquality/hydrosulfide.html

Peter Kelly
09-26-2016, 3:25 PM
What is a "standard" anode "tube"? If the sulfur smell is only coming from the hot water, I'd switch the stock magnesium rod for an aluminum one, bleach out the tank / lines and put a new charcoal filter into your in-line system. Might also be time to shock the well...

If none of that works and the smell comes back after a week or two, you may want to look at an air injection system to remove the sulfur: https://www.amazon.com/Injection-manganese-Removal-Oxidizing-Water/dp/B004FVZHLC

In-home well water chlorine injectors are old hat and require charcoal filtering and softening after the contact tank. Air injection systems are chemical-free and require little maintenance.

Bruce Koch
09-26-2016, 6:25 PM
There is a organism leaving in your hot water tank. The cure is turn up the water heater 140 degrees which will kill it. Drain the heater and refill it. Leave the heater at 140 degrees. It works.

Wayne Lomman
09-26-2016, 6:54 PM
We used to get the problem but only in the stock water and wc water which comes from a different source and have to use in the house in a drought. We now pump into a 5000 gallon header tank and let the water sit for a week or so and it goes away. We also have the water heater turned up to the max for the house water and don't have a problem like we used to. Cheers

Mike Berrevoets
09-26-2016, 7:10 PM
We had this on well water. Drove me crazy and I finally just took the sacrificial anode out altogether. Problem solved. sort of...... The tank rusted through at about 6 years and on a six year warranty. The repair guy came and said it was under warranty. I told him not so fast and pointed to the sacrificial anode sitting in the corner and told him I deserved what I got.

The bugger is that after a year of well water we hooked up to city water and I should have put the anode back in. But I forgot. Probably could have gotten at least a few more years out of the water heater.

Bottom line..... I don't recommend pulling the anode out altogether but it will get rid of the rotten egg smell.

Larry Frank
09-26-2016, 7:53 PM
First thing, I would get a water analysis and find out what is going on before trying all kinds of things. If it sulfur in the water, the air induction filters work well....I have one.

Also, a good water treatment person can help. I am fortunate to have had one for 30+ years to deal with sulfur, iron ,hardness and manganese. After treatment, my water is very good with no smell..

Art Mann
09-26-2016, 9:30 PM
In certain areas, that sulfur smell is actually sulfur contamination in the water. My in-laws had to install a very sophisticated filtering system on their well water to make it tolerable. Cleaning out the filter exposed yellow elemental sulfur. I don't see how your well could just start being this way after years of use though.

Marion Smith
09-26-2016, 9:47 PM
We had well water at a property we lived at previously. We had a problem with iron algae, and other hard water issues. We got Hague's best system and had success with it.

Larry Frank
09-27-2016, 7:18 AM
Depending on the depth of the well, water quality can change with changes in the water table due to regional rainfall, farmers pumping a lot of water, and similar type things. The shallower the well, the more quickly they can change.

As I said earlier, the first thing is a good water analysis. I get my water tested periodically and look for changes.

Ole Anderson
09-27-2016, 9:00 AM
Sulfur bacteria, start here: http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/wells/waterquality/hydrosulfide.html

Great resource, thanks John.

Bruce Wrenn
09-27-2016, 8:28 PM
Chlorination needs to start at the well. Gallon of bleach, mix well, wait 24 hours, then discharge trough system. this way everything gets disinfected.