PDA

View Full Version : which delta jointer would you keep

Mike Kees
09-24-2016, 4:16 PM
I have a delta 8'' model 37-315 jointer,it is in great shape. When I bought it I had to shim one side of the dovetail way on the out feed table to bring it into alignment with the in feed table. I also have a DJ_20 made by Invicta in Brazil ,when I bought it ,it was covered in rust but after posting here and lots of elbow grease it to is a good machine. My dilema which to keep and which to sell...what do you guys think ?

Andrew Hughes
09-24-2016, 4:36 PM
Isn't the Dj 20 the kind that's has adjustments on all four corners.If so then keep that one.
You might find it needs to be adjusted after using it on several projects.
Plus if someday you want to drop in a Bryd head you'll be able to adjust the tables perfect to the head.
Since the knives are fixed.

Aj

Matt Day
09-24-2016, 8:14 PM
From what I understand, the 37-315 is a good vintage jointer, and the DJ-20 is one of the good ones made "overseas".

The DJ-20 will fetch more on the used market.

Tough call.

Mike Kees
09-25-2016, 11:06 AM
You are right about the tough call Matt. I have thought about the byrd head idea idea too and the adjustability of the DJ-20. I have used the 37-315 for about 3-4 years and it flat works. Maybe I will put them both up for sale and see which one goes first.. Thanks for the replies Andrew and Matt.

Peter Kelly
09-25-2016, 8:18 PM
Without a doubt, I'd keep the Invicta.

Van Huskey
09-25-2016, 8:55 PM
Two quality machines. I simply prefer parallelogram jointers to dovetail ways IF it is a shim type. That said once they are setup correctly I don't have much of a preference. I would probably put them both up for sale at a higher than market value that way when one does sale I can always take comfort in knowing I sold well and have no regrets. That assumes I don;t need the money for other stuff.

David Kumm
09-25-2016, 10:11 PM
Which has the most flat tables? That and a good motor would be my criteria. Both having equal tables, the Invicta would probably get a nod. Wedgebed are a proven design. Parallelogram are a good design that trumps the wedgebed only when the tables are not separate from the wedges. The old wedgebed design was superior but expensive to cast as the tables and wedges were cast and ground separately. Most now are a cheaper one piece design. Dave