PDA

View Full Version : "Utility" door ?

Stephen Tashiro
09-24-2016, 1:16 AM
Is "utility" door a recognized category of door ? - along with "entrance doors" , "interior doors" etc.

In dealing with one of these "Pro Steel" doors http://www.lowes.com/pd/ProSteel-6-Panel-Insulating-Core-Left-Hand-Inswing-Primed-Steel-Prehung-Entry-Door-Common-36-in-x-80-in-Actual-37-5-in-x-81-5-in/3403550, I find that it doesn't have an adjustable threshold. There is about a 1/16 th inch gap between the bottom of the door sweep and the top of the door sill. Also, daylight shows around places on the the sides and top of the door whether the weather seals don't fit tightly. When I mentioned these problems to an employee, he said this door is a "utility door" that is designed for sheds and store rooms, not entrances to houses.

Rich Engelhardt
09-24-2016, 5:29 AM
When I mentioned these problems to an employee, he said this door is a "utility door" that is designed for sheds and store rooms, not entrances to houses
Bunk - the door isn't right.
Escalate the issue to the store manager & beyond if you have to.

We had all sorts of problems with a special order door from Lowes.
It took them no less than 4 tries and six months to get a door made that was the correct dimensions.

We ended up "tipping" the installer $100 because we felt so bad the guy had to keep coming out so many times w/out getting paid.

Rich Riddle
09-24-2016, 6:32 AM
The things people will say to try to get a low quality product accepted by a customer.

Jerome Stanek
09-24-2016, 7:32 AM
Shed doors should be out swinging