PDA

View Full Version : changing Worktable size in LaserCut 5.1

Adam Less
09-23-2016, 11:17 PM
Hi all...

So here's my challenge. I have a board that is just over 17" x 21" that I want to precisely cut to 16"x20" exactly so it can fit a 16x20 frame. I know I can do it with a saw but for a number of reasons, I need it to be exact and I have to produce multiple ones at exactly the same size, a precision I can only get through a repeated laser cut.

Here's my problem. I have a 24" x 18" Weike machine (24" x 18" work area). I can fit the substrate in there no problem but the worktable area in LaserCut 5.1 is set to 15.5" x 23" roughly. there appears to be enough travel room to be able to laser beyond the 15.5" but I can't extend artwork over that in the software or it won't feed the design to the laser. It comes back saying the artwork extends beyond the work area.

There is a place in the software for changing the worktable size, but it requires a password to do it. I don't have a password. Is there another way around it or should I just contact Weike and ask for that password?

Any thoughts?

Bert Kemp
09-23-2016, 11:22 PM
I don't think it needs the password I was able to change setting with out it kinda forgot what I did, I think if you just go into the work table setting make the changes then delete the old settings and save the new it will work .added note here you do this on the computer not the control panel.

Hi all...

So here's my challenge. I have a board that is just over 17" x 21" that I want to precisely cut to 16"x20" exactly so it can fit a 16x20 frame. I know I can do it with a saw but for a number of reasons, I need it to be exact and I have to produce multiple ones at exactly the same size, a precision I can only get through a repeated laser cut.

Here's my problem. I have a 24" x 18" Weike machine (24" x 18" work area). I can fit the substrate in there no problem but the worktable area in LaserCut 5.1 is set to 15.5" x 23" roughly. there appears to be enough travel room to be able to laser beyond the 15.5" but I can't extend artwork over that in the software or it won't feed the design to the laser. It comes back saying the artwork extends beyond the work area.

There is a place in the software for changing the worktable size, but it requires a password to do it. I don't have a password. Is there another way around it or should I just contact Weike and ask for that password?

Any thoughts?

Adam Less
09-23-2016, 11:45 PM
Disregard this... I figured it out. When it asked for a password, I just hit 'return' and it accepted the change without a password. :)

Bert Kemp
09-24-2016, 9:00 AM
Yep I knew there was a way LOL:rolleyes:

Disregard this... I figured it out. When it asked for a password, I just hit 'return' and it accepted the change without a password. :)

Bill George
09-24-2016, 12:40 PM
But you will soon find there is a reason for those limits. The carriage needs room to start and stop beyond the actual work space.

Kev Williams
09-24-2016, 2:10 PM
yes, but-- first of all, unless you plan on rastering vertically, there is no reason to short the machine height--

Second, if you use the top left corner as your home position, changing the table dims in the software only shorts the bottom and right edges. Top and left edge will still be at the 'machine' zero. Unless of course you set a new home position away from the corner, or base everything somewhere else on the table- Both of which are total pains as far as setting up jobs goes (to me anyway)

My simple solution to the slop-over issue is easy. I took a 24" tall piece of scrap plastic, the left edge of which I parked against the gantry riser, the right edge I had the machine cut at 1" from left. This piece of plastic is my left edge stop, and since the machine cut the edge, it's perfectly vertical. If I need more space for raster overslop, I have a bunch of 2" wide aluminum shims I park against the plastic edge.

So, my machine is set for the full 1300x900mm, my left edge stop never changes, and my "zero" is either 1", or 3" with shims. Very easy for setup. And if I'm cutting something that's 1250mm or so long, all I have to do is move the plastic piece out of the way. Never any fiddling with numbers in software or finding out the coordinates of something sitting in the middle of the table.

Bill George
09-24-2016, 2:58 PM
And Ken, that's why your making the big bucks!

Dave Sheldrake
09-24-2016, 6:12 PM
Remember to hit "Download CFG" then reboot the laser

Bill George
09-24-2016, 7:45 PM
Dave did you ever find time to get your house remodel done? Seems like all your spare time is used up here.

Dave Sheldrake
09-25-2016, 10:18 AM
Been a chaotic year Bill, that's why I haven't been around much until lately.

Some folks here that know me outside of SMC know my wife was diagnosed with Cancer a year ago this month (she's only 43) so pretty much all my spare time went into looking after her and going back and forwards to the hospital for her treatment. Rough ride but thankfully she was given the all clear 3 weeks ago :)

The house is getting done :) slowly but it's getting done :)

Bert Kemp
09-25-2016, 11:31 AM
Wow Dave sorry tohear about your wife but glad she's getting better. Thats good news. Thoughts and prayers to you and her. Now get the house done so she's comfortable at home.Good luck my friend.

Joseph Shawa
09-26-2016, 4:56 PM
Remember to hit "Download CFG" then reboot the laser

I never have to reboot. Or at least not that I have noticed. What is the reason?