PDA

View Full Version : iPod Nano engraving

Jerrod Treangen
09-30-2005, 5:21 PM
HAs anyone engraved an iPod nano? What type of settings were used?

Lloyd Frisbee
10-01-2005, 12:02 AM
From what I read, you could probably just use a fingernail. :D

Joe Pelonio
10-02-2005, 11:36 AM
There's a real problem with engraving expensive electronics. As you probably know, the laser owner's manuals state that their settings are guidlines only. since the actual power of two identical lasers can vary as much as 5-10%.
I was lucky to have a customer with a regular i-pod that was already scratched up a bit let me use him as a guinea pig, and my daughter bought a mini and let me use hers for the same. Never did a nano, but if you think they will be a profitable item for you you might want to buy one or offer to do one free in
exchange for the risk. Start with lower power than you expect to need and
you can always make another pass, but if you go too high and perforate it
or damage the electronics you'll have to buy them a new one.

Keith Christopher
10-02-2005, 10:26 PM
I know the IPOD's you get from Apple are laser engraved, having gotten one engraved for LOML's bday. I second getting one of the less expensive ones and practicing with it.

Peter Vasic
04-05-2006, 4:49 AM
O.K.

Has anyone ..yet, laser engraved or even dragged the Nano?

regards
Peter

Justin Harrington
04-05-2006, 7:39 AM
I often Laser Engrave all iPods (Regular, Video, Nano). I have posted often over on engravingetc forum and if you do a search you will find some info.
I use laser paste and settings as per my usual for stainless steel, no problems. Make sure to work on a soft cloth or similar to avoid scratches.

If you need more info ley me know and I'll dig up some old posts.

Good Luck.

Peter Vasic
04-05-2006, 9:15 AM
Hi Justin,

I have seen the replies on Engravingetc, however, I am still slightly confused about the nano....as some discussion has been had that yags are what generally does the job on them.

Are they laserable on a CO2, are they made of different materials or covered in them i.e someone has said the S/S ones are ok to engrave..are they all S/S or are some other materials...and if so are they CO2 laser engraveable ? (Nanos)

regards
Peter

Justin Harrington
04-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Hi Peter

You may be confusing the iPod Shuffle and the Nano.
The Nano has a Stainless Steel back and the Shuffle is plastic.
The Nano is fine for CO2 with Paste while the Shuffle is better suited to Yag.

Regards
Justin

Peter Vasic
04-05-2006, 5:40 PM
Thanks Justin !

regards
Peter :)

Carol VanArnam
12-09-2006, 5:12 AM
I did it! I really didn't like how it came out. I don't know how they get the white finish. I basically just etched into the metal because I went over and over until it marked the metal deep enough to read my engraving. I did not use cermark or anything else. Wasn't sure what the ipod people use when they laser them at the factory.

It's not worth doing unless you can figure out how to get the white frosted look. I think it's a product like cermark.

Frank Corker
12-09-2006, 6:09 AM
I engraved the one that has a stainless steel back, I used Cermark and it turned out first class, my heart was in my mouth when I did it because it was when they first came out. The cost at the time was £170. It did engrave okay, but you have to be brave about it (or stupid)

Gary Gilbert
12-09-2006, 9:18 AM
Would someone mind sharing settngs here for the varioius iPods they have engraved.
I actually am including this as security markings on electronics devices in my busines plan.

BTW: I'm a newbie.
Is there a general location that has collected settings for various materials and items?

Thanks!

Gary

Bill Cunningham
12-09-2006, 7:44 PM
I've had people bring in the ones with the stainless back, and they came out ok.. The aluminum cases on the Macs will laser through the anodizing ok, and still provide a nice enough contrast to lay out a good image.. The only weird one I have done is a PSP (play station portable) I had a company that was giving one away at the toronto boat show, and they wanted two logos engraved into the back, one on each side.. I had told them that I had no idea how 'that' plastic would engrave. It might go just great, or it may simply burst into flames, in that case I told them, All the ashes are Yours! Any way, the engraving went ok, the only disconserting part was the size of the flame coming up from the piece, even at a fairly low power, and using air assist to dampen the fire:eek: I kept 'depth' at a minimum, because of the flames but even a depth of 5 thou or so provided a pretty good image.. Not much contrast obviously, but enough surface effect to show the logos... I don't think I would do one at 'my' risk though!