PDA

View Full Version : Molybdenum disulfide/Cermark alternative

Shannon Ellis
09-23-2016, 12:11 PM
Brand new to laser engraving but I'm looking for a Cermark alternative for marking. After searching the threads and the Googles, I've found that dry moly lube is a good alternative. (I've also tried the plaster of Paris solution with limited success but haven't had much time to experiment with it) Couldn't find any dry moly lube locally so I ordered some on Amazon but it won't be here till next week. I ordered a half ounce bottle of molybdenum disulfide to fiddle with, as well. That leads me to my question...

I'm gonna try to use the pure molybdenum disulfide but I'm wondering how I should mix it. Anyone have any experience using pure moly? And is it even worth it to buy and mix it myself?

Mark Sipes
09-23-2016, 1:15 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?163305-Forget-Cermark-and-Plaster-of-Paris-try-this

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?220160-My-turn-with-the-moly-spray

Shannon Your turn.....

Shannon Ellis
09-23-2016, 1:47 PM
Thanks for the links, Mark. The first link was one that I already read but I never saw the second. I bought a tub of the moly grease and messed around with it a bit but I can't stand the smell so I'm not even going to continue with it.

I'm more interested in experiences using pure moly. (the powder) For all I know, it might not work, might not be cost effective, or the results might be worse than the plaster of Paris method. We might end up using Cermark, anyway. But, right now, we're just in the learning phase and buying a can of Cermark is out of the question.

Mark Sipes
09-23-2016, 2:06 PM
Depending who your wholesale supplier is, many which support the laser community have samples of cermark...( tape) that they can send. I would say a majority of the contributors of this forum swear by the powder version ........... I hate mixing so I'm a can person .

If we knew where you were.... local support could show you ropes with the product.

Paul Phillips
09-23-2016, 4:33 PM
Hi Shannon, welcome to the Creek. In case you didn't know, Lasebits has small bottles of Cermark for $29.95, if you can use a cheap airbrush and thin it with DNA you can really make it stretch pretty far, not what I would call an unreasonable cost, just have to learn how to make the most of it. Sometimes cutting corners ends up costing more in the end, just sayin', Cermark works great, never tried Moly but I guess some people can make it work, not sure about longevity though.

Kev Williams
09-23-2016, 6:45 PM
I bought a can of MP-50 Moly Paste, and a can of CRC Industrial Spray Moly Lube.

I tried them both in my 3 lasers, and was absolutely astounded at the results... Which was Absolute Zero. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zip. Squat.

I tried them wet, dry, thick, thin. Nothing.

I know Cermark HAS moly in it, but this stuff I got was a dud with an 80 watt glass and with 40 and 25 watt Synrads.

Ian Stewart-Koster
09-23-2016, 6:58 PM
Thanks for the update and caution, Kev!

Kev Williams
09-23-2016, 9:46 PM
Feel free to experiment, just don't waste money on the stuff I bought! If someone ever hits on the right powder or whatever, I'd love to know about it! :)

Gary Hair
09-23-2016, 11:56 PM
Feel free to experiment, just don't waste money on the stuff I bought! If someone ever hits on the right powder or whatever, I'd love to know about it! :)

You already know "someone" who did...

Shannon Ellis
09-24-2016, 12:05 AM
Hi Shannon, welcome to the Creek. In case you didn't know, Lasebits has small bottles of Cermark for $29.95, if you can use a cheap airbrush and thin it with DNA you can really make it stretch pretty far, not what I would call an unreasonable cost, just have to learn how to make the most of it. Sometimes cutting corners ends up costing more in the end, just sayin', Cermark works great, never tried Moly but I guess some people can make it work, not sure about longevity though.

Thanks, Paul. Yeah, Laserbits is sending me a sample of the Cermark tape. I might just grab a bottle of that solution for 29.95 just to make life easier.

I played around with the plaster of Paris method tonight. I was surprised by the results. Not anything I'd put on a display shelf, but, perhaps with a bit of work, it'll be a nice, inexpensive alternative to Cermark. I'll have to work with it tomorrow to see if I can improve my results. Problem with this method is that I come out covered in white powder!

Shannon Ellis
09-24-2016, 12:09 AM
Meant to attach this picture...