PDA

View Full Version : I had a bandsaw ... It could have helped with my through-mortises (DOH!)

Minh Tran
09-23-2016, 12:44 AM
------------------------------------------ Post Edited -----------------------------------------------------
I'm aware that there is no way to use a bandsaw to cut a through-mortise unless I cut through a wall. I'd delete this post if I could.
Since I can't, please see the question below.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you folks have any advice for cutting mortises on the tenon for the wedged-tenon mortise-tenon joint (see attached picture)?
The tenon is 3/4" wide by 2" long.

I don't know how wide to make the mortise for the wedge. A 1/4"-wide mortise will leave me with 1/4"-thick mortise walls, which is a pretty thin mortise (and walls). This doesn't sound like a good idea.

I'll also settle for a normal wedged tenon but I'd really like for the stretchers to be removable in case I need to replace it or in case I want to take the bench apart.

Lee Schierer
09-23-2016, 8:31 AM
Instead of drilling 4 through-holes (per mortise) and then using the bandsaw to cut out the mortises (which would have taken maybe a couple hours worth of work), I did the (smart) thing and spent (now) 5 days drilling holes and chiseling out the mortises.

How do you cut a mortise with a band saw without cutting through one wall or cutting the blade and rewelding it through one of the four holes and then cutting it again to get the blade out?

Brian Tymchak
09-23-2016, 8:48 AM
I'm now better at chiseling out housed/through mortises but I wasted so much time :(.

What Lee said... I can't see how you would close the wall on a mortise after cutting through with a bandsaw with stock that thick.

It shouldn't take all that long to cleanup 8 mortises if your chisels are sharp. Practice makes perfect, as I always heard as a child. Next time it won't take as long. But make sure your chisels are sharp..

Erik Loza
09-23-2016, 9:07 AM
The tenon, yes, but not the mortise.

Erik

Jamie Buxton
09-23-2016, 10:58 AM
To cut the mortise for the wedge to fit through, it is back to the drill bits. You drill several holes, and clean out the waste between the holes with a chisel. All the holes are drilled at the same angle. That is, the mortise is not wedge-shaped. The bottom of the mortise is concealed inside the table leg, so the mortise does not need to be wedge-shaped.

The mortise for the wedge does not need to be especially clean. In fact, it should be a somewhat loose fit so the wedge slides in easily. So you can afford to do a slap-dash job of chiseling out the waste.

You could square up one end-wall of the mortise, but I find it easier to put a half-round on the tenon. (Less chiseling!)

I shape the wedge so that it is a little humped. I want the wedge to contact at three points: the top and bottom of the wedge, against the leg; and against the stretcher, roughly in the middle of the stretcher. I don't want a situation where the stretcher contact is at the top of the stretcher or the bottom of the stretcher, because that leads a wobbling table.

Bradley Gray
09-23-2016, 8:02 PM
I did a project once - 50 guest rooms for a state lodge - the headboards had 10 -15 mortices in both the top and bottom rail to accept slats. I needed about 80 headboards.

I resawed a 1/4" piece off the back, sawed the shoulders with a back saw and drilled out the waste with a forstner bit. The headboards hung on the wall, so I screwed and glued the resaw back in place as if it were a bandsawn box.

Marshall Mosby
09-24-2016, 2:37 PM
The walls left would be quite thin, hard to do such a thing with such thin walls. Also since what you will be left with to cut out the mortise will be a very small tenon, I would recommend either using nails in the first tenon-mortise joint or wedges in place of nails. Don't go for adding a wedge on the outside. Put it through the tenon joint. I hope you get what I am saying. I don't know how to explain.