PDA

View Full Version : GS-plus 1280, 80watt - opinions or cautions?

Ian Stewart-Koster
09-22-2016, 7:20 PM
Hi Folks,
a friend of mine is looking at buying a GS-plus 1280. Chinese 80 watt.

I've searched the 'net, for very little information positive or negative about them - scant mention at all - just a little marketing blurb.

I was wondering if any readers might have opinions either way on it?
Thanks!

P.S. The sad part is the tube is out, and the owner has not operated it for a couple of years, and had a bit of a story about 'problems'...
but at the time he bought it, he bought two identical ones, and the other one his son still uses almost daily. He's retired now, and wants the garage space back, so was looking to sell the 'almost unused' one.

I'm wondering if this is a dongle + proprietory software machine, or just what?
They have not discussed price - the seller is open to offers.

Keith Winter
09-22-2016, 10:26 PM
What is GS? Global systems? If so they went out of business years ago. Try googling and searching this site for global systems once you verify what GS stands for. Global systems guy also had another company called Hurricane Lasers I believe.

Dave Sheldrake
09-23-2016, 7:50 AM
Distributed by Golden Sign (Yuetai) in China Golden Sign are also one of the companies that actually makes tubes.

Expect the FOB price to be $2,400 direct from them

Ian Stewart-Koster
09-23-2016, 8:30 AM
Thanks, yes, GS + Golden Sign... One of the older laser companies - but the brand isn't in the news these days...

This is it:

Dave Sheldrake
09-23-2016, 10:18 AM
Leetro 6515 or MPC03 controller

Just make sure it's the USB version as the older serial version tends to fail a lot and you cannot get spares anymore

Ian Stewart-Koster
09-23-2016, 7:00 PM
Thanks very much, Dave. I appreciate that.

Could it be 'gutted' and newer electronics retrofitted into the existing mechanicals at all - if need be?

Steve Morris
09-23-2016, 7:46 PM
try to check its not the hangar queen being used for spares to keep the other one running.

Keith Downing
09-23-2016, 11:42 PM
It's going to depend a lot on your level of technical expertise I guess, but I personally wouldn't buy a Chinese machine that wasn't currently running. Unless you're just buying for a few hundred bucks to play with.

Ian Stewart-Koster
09-24-2016, 1:14 AM
Thanks, Keith - it's not me, it's a freind I'm asking for.

Personally, that kind of "fix it somehow yourself, as a project" is what I've enjoyed doing a lot of my life - and survived it with a cnc router that was a bit dead once!
I appreciate the reply!

Bill George
09-24-2016, 12:43 PM
Ian, If you have worked with CNC before then you won't have a problem. But buying parts bit by bit can get expensive so unless its a close to free price I would use caution.

Dave Sheldrake
09-24-2016, 6:15 PM
Thanks very much, Dave. I appreciate that.

Could it be 'gutted' and newer electronics retrofitted into the existing mechanicals at all - if need be?

Easily, go with a 6535 card (the 6565 and 6585 are harder to swap to)

The card, pad and wiring is about $350 direct from China, steppers and step drivers are off the shelf and the low voltage PSU's are cheap as well if needed. There is nothing electrical in the machine other than the tube and HV PSU that could be entirely replaced for under $850 in total.

I have a machine to rip apart tomorrow that needs all new wires (chinese wires are cheap rubbish and the insulation breaks down) so I'm replacing all of it with new switches and silicon flexible wire in new spiral wrap.

Doug Fisher
09-24-2016, 10:53 PM
I have a machine to rip apart tomorrow that needs all new wires (chinese wires are cheap rubbish and the insulation breaks down) so I'm replacing all of it with new switches and silicon flexible wire in new spiral wrap.

Dave - What is your guesstimate for how long in actual running time (or just time in general if that is more appropriate) it takes before this problem starts to appear?

Thanks.

Ian Stewart-Koster
09-25-2016, 3:10 AM
Thanks very much, Dave.
It's a project I could handle, I'm sure - though my friend would not.
The seller is apparently asking $2500 as-is.
and no it has not been butchered for parts - their other one was slightly different, I'm told, and they bought in new parts for it when needed.

Question: if going that path, then what software is needed for the card - Mach 3 ?

I'll convey the message. Thanks again

Bill George
09-25-2016, 8:27 AM
Ian, Most of the controller cards come with the Chinese software like Laserwork or similar. Mach 3 is not a good choice for lasers. I get a lot of stuff from Lightobject dot com based in Calif but you can see what he carries, perhaps he can drop ship to you? I know his software is modified and and is not the standard Chinese.

Dave Sheldrake
09-25-2016, 10:25 AM
Dave - What is your guesstimate for how long in actual running time (or just time in general if that is more appropriate) it takes before this problem starts to appear?

Thanks.

The one I'm doing is 8 years old and has been treated like dirt :) left outside in all weathers, kicked, beaten and generally abused so if a machine had been taken care of then 15 to 20 years in reality,it's just this one has been treated really badly :)

The seller is apparently asking $2500 as-is.

Too high, they cost under that new from the factory, $2,000 would be a good price, above that it's not worth the effort.

Question: if going that path, then what software is needed for the card - Mach 3 ?

It will come with the software, if it's a leetro card then it will be LaserCUT (a new card comes complete with everything software wise)

Ian Stewart-Koster
09-25-2016, 10:30 AM
Thanks Dave - I found some on Fleabay... and worked that out - and there were some alternatives to that board too...