PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Big Leaf Maple Vase

Allan Ferguson
09-22-2016, 4:42 PM
B L Maple vase, 10 1/2" tall, hollowed to a depth of 7 /12". Finish Gen. WTF. This wood has been laying around 30+ years.

Steve Schlumpf
09-23-2016, 9:32 AM
Alan - good to see you posting some work! Sitting around for 30 years? Man, that had to have been one hard chunk of maple to hollow! Looks like the wood has a lot going for it - spalt lines, nice grain and even some curl! 3" of ballast should make the vase very stable no matter what you plan to use it for!

Looking forward to seeing your next turning! Hope you are doing well!

Peter Blair
09-23-2016, 9:38 AM
Allan nice wood I love spalted BLM. If I may be so bold, this piece is similar to quite a few I have laying on shelves in my shop. I have been told and now realize that I was making the base waaaay too big. I don't know how much wood you have left or even if you could remount it but if you were able to reduce the diameter at the base and give a small 'tuck' under the shape would be lots more appealing. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Allan Ferguson
09-23-2016, 11:22 AM
IIl have been having issues, still doing lots of woodworking . Not much posting. Changes suggested are in accord with my own thoughts.