PDA

View Full Version : New Toy Gloat

Justin Peters
09-30-2005, 5:05 PM
Some of you might remember that a while back, I was debating between the Jet 1236 and the 1442. Well, I took y'alls suggestions, and I went with the 1442. This is the first tool that my wife and I have bought for our new woodworking passion. The first thing that comes to mind is...it's SO BIG! We took a sequence of classes on the mini...this thing is SO MUCH BIGGER! Don't get me wrong, that's what I wanted, I just don't know where to put it yet! We only have a two-car garage! The legs are coming seperately (hopefully next week), and I am pretty sick right now, so I can't really set it up anyways, but I still had to open the box...sweet!

http://www.geocities.com/justin_peters@sbcglobal.net/Lathe/Lathe2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/justin_peters@sbcglobal.net/Lathe/Lathe1.jpg

Dennis Peacock
09-30-2005, 5:10 PM
Uh-Oh.....somebody's got the turning bug pretty bad.!!! :p :D

Congrats Justin on the new arrival. You're gonna like it.!!! :D :D

Jim Ketron
09-30-2005, 10:02 PM
Congrats, enjoy!

Carole Valentine
10-01-2005, 12:34 AM
Ain't it just so much fun getting a new toy! You're gonna love it. Hurry and get well so you can start making shavings.:)

John Hart
10-01-2005, 7:27 AM
Very nice Justin! Since you're not feeling well....and it doesn't have any legs...maybe you could just lay on the floor and turn a hollow form!:rolleyes:

Just kidding...get well soon. congratulations!

Chris Barton
10-01-2005, 8:26 AM
1. Get well soon!

2. You are going to love this lathe!

3. Welcome to your new addiction!

4. Buy a chain saw!

5. You will never look at a downed tree the same way again!

Justin Peters
10-01-2005, 11:46 AM
5. You will never look at a downed tree the same way again!

Truer words never spoken. My wife went to spend some time with friends last night, and on her way home, picked up some wood that had been cut down/knocked down due to hurricane rita. I'm not good with identifying wood yet, but it should be good to practice on in any event. She even got a piece with a nice little crotch in it!

Actually, brings me to a question...just HOW green can you turn a piece of wood? I know for pens and such, you'd want it to be dry, but if I am going to rough out a bowl while green, do I need to let the wood dry out at all first?

Also, I've real numerous times about people using alcohol to dry out their roughed pieces...How does that work, and what kind of alcohol?

Gosh...we still have SO MUCH to learn!

Jim Ketron
10-01-2005, 3:48 PM
Actually, brings me to a question...just HOW green can you turn a piece of wood? I know for pens and such, you'd want it to be dry, but if I am going to rough out a bowl while green, do I need to let the wood dry out at all first?

Also, I've real numerous times about people using alcohol to dry out their roughed pieces...How does that work, and what kind of alcohol?

Gosh...we still have SO MUCH to learn!
The Greener the better:D
Cut it down and turn away, but wear your raincoat!:D And keep your lathe waxed and clean it off after use to keep it from rusting.

The best thing to do is look up Dave Smith he is a member here and check out his homepage from there you can find his artical on drying bowls with DNA.
Have fun,
Jim